Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ferry
    • By ferry 5th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 1,617Posts
    • 248Thanks
    ferry
    Alternative to Kindle Paperwhite
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    Alternative to Kindle Paperwhite 5th Dec 17 at 8:48 PM
    Looking for an e reader for the wife for Xmas. The Kindle paperwhite would be ideal but is slightly out of my budget brand new. I know you can get refurbs on ebay but ideally want to avoid that for a gift.
    Do any other brands do a Paperwhite version that you could recommend on a slightly more modest budget?

Thanks as usual
    F
Page 1
    • Supatramp
    • By Supatramp 6th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 370 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Supatramp
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    Try Kobo e-reader?
    David.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 6th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 1,530 Thanks
    Nilrem
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    Keep an eye on the deals over the next week at Argos, Tesco and Amazon as the Kindles do often seem to be on offer.

What's your budget (roughly)? As I often see them for about £70-80
    • ferry
    • By ferry 6th Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    ferry
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    Keep an eye on the deals over the next week at Argos, Tesco and Amazon as the Kindles do often seem to be on offer.

What's your budget (roughly)? As I often see them for about £70-80
    Originally posted by Nilrem
    Thanks

I woild say no more than £80 max.

Will have to keep an eye out
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 6th Dec 17, 8:02 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:02 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:02 PM
    The Paperwhite is sometimes on sale for £89.99, but you've unfortunately just missed the Black Friday discount where it's went for £79.99 the past two years.

The other Kindle option is to buy the cheaper basic Kindle (no lighted screen on it) for £60.

Otherwise, try the Kobo Aura 2 which retails for £99.99. It's not got quite as good a screen as the Paperwhite, but has some other positives, and is the only real alternative to the Paperwhite in the UK.

If you are going to buy books from Amazon, go for a Kindle, if you don't plan on buying books from Amazon, and want to borrow books from your local library (if it has an e-library), go for a Kobo (you can't read library books on a Kindle).

Edit: You could also keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse for any refurb Paperwhites (only Kindle Voyage at the moment), my first Kindle was a refurb and it came boxed and you wouldn't have known it was a refurb (except for the R on the barcode of the box).
    Last edited by mac.d; 06-12-2017 at 8:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter