Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • karen10101p
    • By karen10101p 5th Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    karen10101p
    Should I pay for wrong diagnosis?
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    Should I pay for wrong diagnosis? 5th Dec 17 at 8:32 PM
    Hi
    Needing advice on what others think before contact the garage.
    2 months ago my car was leaking oil. The garage admitted they did not know what was wrong with it and simply topped up the power steering oil. 3 days later the exact same problem was happening. the garage then replaced the power steering pump. I now question if they were just stabbing in the dark (referring back to the fact they admitted they did not know what was wrong with it and admitedly stated that they couldnt find any obvious fault with the pump)
    I paid the invoice, thinking problem solved.
    3 weeks ago the exact same problem arose. The garage stated they needed to change the pipe, as that was the problem. They have invoiced me for this work.
    My issue is, the initial work was not completed satisfactorily.

If it is the pipe, then the pump was replaced unecessarily
    If it was both, why was the pipe not replaced at the time.
    I emphasise, it was the exaact same problem with the exact same noise and the same oil spill as the last time. Im thinking the garage didnt have a clue what they were doing the first time.
    Barclays have stated I can issue a chargeback, to be quite honest, the whole thing makes me angry but at the same time, I'm not a person who likes confrontation. I want to hear other's opinions before I contact the mechanic.
    Regardless of the outcome, there is no way Im returnig to this mechanic. I dont trust him and I feel he's pretty much incompetent.
    Shame I left my garage I used to use simply becasue it was too far out of the way - I had complete trust in them
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Dec 17, 5:25 PM
    • 15,756 Posts
    • 14,053 Thanks
    AdrianC
    It's not necessarily wrong to change a component because you can't diagnose where the leak is from, but I'd expect someone to try in the first instance. To be honest, the "It's got a leak so I'll fix it by topping up the fluid" was pretty damning.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    Here's the car. The PS reservoir's empty, and "it's making a funny noise". Well, yes. So put more fluid in, bring it back if it does it again.

It did it again, and is empty again. Do you...
    a. Refill it, clean up, send home again, come back again if it does it again?
    b. Refill it, drive it around yourself until there's evidence of where the leak's from?
    c. Replace the wettest, most likely component?

You've replaced the pump. The pump was leaking. The pump is no longer leaking. The fluid is not escaping in anything like the short order.
    Weeks later, the pipe fails, too.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 8th Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Here's the car. The PS reservoir's empty, and "it's making a funny noise". Well, yes. So put more fluid in, bring it back if it does it again.

It did it again, and is empty again. Do you...
    a. Refill it, clean up, send home again, come back again if it does it again?
    b. Refill it, drive it around yourself until there's evidence of where the leak's from?
    c. Replace the wettest, most likely component?

You've replaced the pump. The pump was leaking. The pump is no longer leaking. The fluid is not escaping in anything like the short order.
    Weeks later, the pipe fails, too.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    The OP didn't suggest that she was advised that it had been topped up to aid the diagnosis - "Simply topped it up".

It is quite reasonable to say "hmm, not sure if this is a bad leak or it is just a slight decrease over 5 years, so I'll top it up but you need to check it over the next week and if it starts playing up bring it back straight away because you don't want to drive a car where the steering pump fails as you are quite likely to lose control."

I think the OP might have remembered that conversation. If that did happen but the OP didn't take any notice, then fair enough, but my sense is that the OP had been quite reasonable, had a problem that they didn't understand, sought advice, in their naivety assumed topping up the oil was a fix for the problem.

At best poor communication.

You didn't include (d) in the list:

d. Stick a new pump in without considering where the oil had gathered and checking the rest of the system.

That is what the OP feels happened.

The point I am trying to get to is that there are all sorts of good reasons why the garage may have done the work properly but there are also indications that they have been unprofessional. From here it is hard to tell what are the facts.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Dec 17, 12:19 PM
    • 15,756 Posts
    • 14,053 Thanks
    AdrianC
    You didn't include (d) in the list:

d. Stick a new pump in without considering where the oil had gathered and checking the rest of the system.

That is what the OP feels happened.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    I didn't include it, simply because the leak went from three days to three weeks after the pump was replaced.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,248Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin