Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 5th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 2Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    Travelodge Hotel hell
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    Travelodge Hotel hell 5th Dec 17 at 7:53 PM
    My Company booked me a room in Milton Keynes Travelodge as I had work the next day near by.
    Arrived at hotel T L Milton Keynes 10 oíclock, my colleague advised me to park my car in the car park and gave me the password to gain entry. Parked car then proceeded to reception. Gentlemen on reception told me that someone would be with me in a moment. 20 minutes later when the two girls on reception composed themselves they made it clear the hotel was full and they gave my room away to someone else. I was very confused by this and I made it clear that it was outrageous. They both agreed and said its head office they make us do this. They said they are trying to arrange another hotel but they couldnít get through to anybody They said we are just getting an answer phone.

To cut a long story short I waited in the reception for 3 hours the tramps and the drunken people were making me feel uneasy so I put my bags back in my car.

I was constantly going to reception asking them if they had found any hotel for me and they kept repeating themselves we canít we are trying to do it we canít get through to our managers when we do we will find you a hotel.

When I went outside to make a phone call to my partner I noticed the barriers Of the car park were closing. After noticing this I ran to reception and said How am I going to get my car out. they said you canít and they said donít worry we will order you a taxi. I said but I need to get my asthma pump from the car. Then one of the girls said there is a number on the door if you call it The man will answer if heís awake. I said are you kidding me. I Called the number after several Attempts he finally answered and I asked him if he could let me in the car park as I need to get in the car to get my asthma pump.

At 00:50 another customer turned up for a room and they told him that they also gave his room away. By 02:45 they finally arranged a relocation.

The taxi took 30 minutes to arrive and it was another 20 minute drive on arrival to the MK hotel I gave them the note that the receptionist gave me to say The room was £50 for a room for which he replied ďno I said 60Ē. I wasnít going to argue I was just happy to have a room. Another 20 minutes trying to book the room as the credit card device had no signal. Then I couldnít get in my room the receptionist had to advise me that the draft excluder meant that you had to pull the door towards you before it would let you turn the key. Voila I was in the room it was 04:00.

I set my alarm for 6 and slept straight through till 10:30 when the reception called me.

Now because of this I was late to work I have lost my 6 months contract. And my reputation has been ruined with 4 of the companies involved.
Page 2
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 6th Dec 17, 11:07 AM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 7,495 Thanks
    Gavin83
    OP, what are you actually looking for as a resolution to this situation? It seems they've (mostly) paid any extra costs you incurred and I'm not convinced you'd consult a solicitor for £20. So what do you want?
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 6th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 5,771 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    My Company booked me a room in Milton Keynes Travelodge as I had work the next day near by.
    Originally posted by John_Sinclair
    Now because of this I was late to work I have lost my 6 months contract. And my reputation has been ruined with 4 of the companies involved.
    Well my company said they had an investigation. But Iím a contractor and they can use any excuse to end s contract and they did.
    I think if I were you, then I'd be looking to the company rather than Travelodge (assuming that when you say 'my company' you mean the company that your contract is with and not your own limited company). From what you say they were the ones who chose Travelodge, and who booked the room, so they should bear some responsibility for what happened.

It's my understanding that most (all) of the lower end hotel chains overbook hotel rooms, expecting some people not to turn up on the day, and it will be in the terms and conditions - if you didn't make the booking yourself you can perhaps claim that the company that did should have made you aware of the possibility and you would then have contacted the hotel earlier to ensure that your room was still available.
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 6th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    lammy82
    In my experience, when Travelodge are overbooked it doesn't matter if you ring them to let they know you'll be late. If the other bookings turn up first they'll get checked in and when you arrive you won't have a room.

My advice: don't book a Travelodge if you're going to be arriving late.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 6th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 13,089 Posts
    • 11,151 Thanks
    paddyrg
    ...I am arriving late in the day at a Travelodge or any other budget hotel...
    Originally posted by photome
    Honestly, this is prudent for any hotel, not just "budget" ones. Not all will have overbooking policies, but if the city is full and they can sell a room you paid (say) £100 for for £300 to a walk-up because they think you're not coming, they will.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 6th Dec 17, 3:59 PM
    • 3,219 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    Any way, this is a B2B issue, the first line of the first post clearly states

"MY COMPANY BOOKED ME..."

Its the company who should be consulting a solicitor (as if they would bother) and OP should be invoicing the company for the outstanding taxi.
    • photome
    • By photome 6th Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 12,816 Posts
    • 8,295 Thanks
    photome
    Any way, this is a B2B issue, the first line of the first post clearly states

"MY COMPANY BOOKED ME..."

Its the company who should be consulting a solicitor (as if they would bother) and OP should be invoicing the company for the outstanding taxi.
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    If they booked in the OPs name and he paid the bill wouldnt that make it different
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 6th Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    The overbooking 'policy' is extremely annoying. I'm sure those here less than sypathetic wouldn't be too thrilled to be bumped from a booking they'd paid for & having to wait nearly 5 HOURS for relocation.

This policy is just pure greed be Travelodge.

Put a review of your experience on Trip Advisor. Travelodge do appear to respond to negative 1* reviews. Though you should ensure you review the correct one in MK, there are quite a few & I'm surprised it took them so long to find you a room in an alternative.

When we could't find one we'd booked for ages because the post code on the website was incorrect I emailed a complaint. Initially offered free breakfasts when next there. When I pointed out we may not stay back there again & anyway, they didn't have a restaurant & I wasn't happy with a manky breakfast box, they gave me a £40 voucher for any travelodge instead. I was happy.

I'd have based my 'beef' with their policy on the dreadful amount of time it took to relocate you, if I were you.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 6th Dec 17, 6:53 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    1 works if I only work every other day. And 2 Iím sluggish if I donít sleep lol.
    Getting there early means time away from family. Thatís ok if your single. Most contractors would turn up late itís the norm.
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 6th Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    Autumnella
    Absolutely disgusting service from Travel Lodge.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 6th Dec 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 3,770 Thanks
    IAmWales
    1 works if I only work every other day. And 2 I’m sluggish if I don’t sleep lol.
    Getting there early means time away from family. That’s ok if your single. Most contractors would turn up late it’s the norm.
    If you have a family I'm surprised you're not used to getting up after an hour and a half sleep!

Having worked in hotels I disagree that most contractors turn up late. My experience was that most were there in time to have dinner and a few drinks, we'd have very few check ins past 8pm.

That's not to say that Travelodge didn't mess up your relocation, they should have had a list of hotels in the area with availability. If you find yourself in that situation again, find a hotel yourself and sort out the reimbursement later.
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 7th Dec 17, 6:37 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    OP, what are you actually looking for as a resolution to this situation? It seems they've (mostly) paid any extra costs you incurred and I'm not convinced you'd consult a solicitor for £20. So what do you want?
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    I just wanted some advice and to let people know that this could happen to them and now after all the good advice hopefully this wonít happen again. Well Iím going to definitely ring them before I arrive and tell them, please donít give my room away. Personally Iím not going to use Travelodge again but unfortunately if the company you work for books the hotel it doesnít leave a choice.
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 7th Dec 17, 7:00 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    The overbooking 'policy' is extremely annoying. I'm sure those here less than sypathetic wouldn't be too thrilled to be bumped from a booking they'd paid for & having to wait nearly 5 HOURS for relocation.

This policy is just pure greed be Travelodge.

Put a review of your experience on Trip Advisor. Travelodge do appear to respond to negative 1* reviews. Though you should ensure you review the correct one in MK, there are quite a few & I'm surprised it took them so long to find you a room in an alternative.

When we could't find one we'd booked for ages because the post code on the website was incorrect I emailed a complaint. Initially offered free breakfasts when next there. When I pointed out we may not stay back there again & anyway, they didn't have a restaurant & I wasn't happy with a manky breakfast box, they gave me a £40 voucher for any travelodge instead. I was happy.

I'd have based my 'beef' with their policy on the dreadful amount of time it took to relocate you, if I were you.
    Originally posted by SevenOfNine
    Travelodge have two hotels in Milton Keynes. I think the hotels are always full in this area. I remember the next day the hotel Manager of the MK Hotel said Travelodge call them 2 to 3 times a week for relocation.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 7th Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    • 5,771 Posts
    • 5,545 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Personally I’m not going to use Travelodge again but unfortunately if the company you work for books the hotel it doesn’t leave a choice.
    And if this is the same company that has terminated your contract as an indirect consequence of them making that booking, then - ad per my previous post - I think you should challenge them about it
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 7th Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    Travelodge have two hotels in Milton Keynes. I think the hotels are always full in this area. I remember the next day the hotel Manager of the MK Hotel said Travelodge call them 2 to 3 times a week for relocation.
    Four. 2 are a short walk from each other in the city centre (& 1 of those is slap bang beside a whopping great Jury's Inn, but sounds like Travelodge wanted to relocate you to somewhere of a similar price point to their own, not somewhere convenient to your whereabouts), the other 2 a short drive.
    Last edited by SevenOfNine; 07-12-2017 at 10:19 PM.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • Cheeseface
    • By Cheeseface 8th Dec 17, 7:30 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    Cheeseface
    Could you not have found yourself a room elsewhere in that three hour period?
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 8th Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    • 5,459 Posts
    • 9,608 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    It is well known that if you are going to arrive late then you should let the hotel know - or, as you have found, your room will be sold on. This isn't just Travel Lodge, but many 5* hotels policy.

Also, if i had such an important meeting i would have been at my hotel much, much earlier than 10pm.

As such, you are onto a non starter wrt your loss of contract, but i would certainly be expecting my hotel fees and perhaps a level of compensation as the event does sound it was handled badly.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 18,544 Posts
    • 47,734 Thanks
    Pollycat
    It is well known that if you are going to arrive late then you should let the hotel know - or, as you have found, your room will be sold on. This isn't just Travel Lodge, but many 5* hotels policy.
    Originally posted by Ivrytwr3
    I'd have thought this too but the post below seems to say that that wouldn't have made any difference.
    In my experience, when Travelodge are overbooked it doesn't matter if you ring them to let they know you'll be late. If the other bookings turn up first they'll get checked in and when you arrive you won't have a room.

Originally posted by lammy82
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 8th Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair

Originally posted by lammy82
    When working at a different site / location everyday itís not always possible to arrive early. My colleagues have always turned up late and we havenít had a problem like this before. If the room is booked in as a business and not leisure, then surely they should expect you to turn up, or even call you before selling your room?
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 8th Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    Could you not have found yourself a room elsewhere in that three hour period?
    Originally posted by Cheeseface
    The staff didnít really let me know what was going to happen. all they told me was they was going to try and find me another room in another hotel. I had no idea that I would have to pay for the room and they would reimburse me. If they had told me that I would have paid for one at any location be it an hours drive away.
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 8th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair

Also, if i had such an important meeting i would have been at my hotel much, much earlier than 10pm.

As such, you are onto a non starter wrt your loss of contract, but i would certainly be expecting my hotel fees and perhaps a level of compensation as the event does sound it was handled badly.
    Originally posted by Ivrytwr3
    I didnít say anything about a meeting?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

6,014Users online

Martin's Twitter