Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 5th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 2Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    Travelodge Hotel hell
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    Travelodge Hotel hell 5th Dec 17 at 7:53 PM
    My Company booked me a room in Milton Keynes Travelodge as I had work the next day near by.
    Arrived at hotel T L Milton Keynes 10 oíclock, my colleague advised me to park my car in the car park and gave me the password to gain entry. Parked car then proceeded to reception. Gentlemen on reception told me that someone would be with me in a moment. 20 minutes later when the two girls on reception composed themselves they made it clear the hotel was full and they gave my room away to someone else. I was very confused by this and I made it clear that it was outrageous. They both agreed and said its head office they make us do this. They said they are trying to arrange another hotel but they couldnít get through to anybody They said we are just getting an answer phone.

To cut a long story short I waited in the reception for 3 hours the tramps and the drunken people were making me feel uneasy so I put my bags back in my car.

I was constantly going to reception asking them if they had found any hotel for me and they kept repeating themselves we canít we are trying to do it we canít get through to our managers when we do we will find you a hotel.

When I went outside to make a phone call to my partner I noticed the barriers Of the car park were closing. After noticing this I ran to reception and said How am I going to get my car out. they said you canít and they said donít worry we will order you a taxi. I said but I need to get my asthma pump from the car. Then one of the girls said there is a number on the door if you call it The man will answer if heís awake. I said are you kidding me. I Called the number after several Attempts he finally answered and I asked him if he could let me in the car park as I need to get in the car to get my asthma pump.

At 00:50 another customer turned up for a room and they told him that they also gave his room away. By 02:45 they finally arranged a relocation.

The taxi took 30 minutes to arrive and it was another 20 minute drive on arrival to the MK hotel I gave them the note that the receptionist gave me to say The room was £50 for a room for which he replied ďno I said 60Ē. I wasnít going to argue I was just happy to have a room. Another 20 minutes trying to book the room as the credit card device had no signal. Then I couldnít get in my room the receptionist had to advise me that the draft excluder meant that you had to pull the door towards you before it would let you turn the key. Voila I was in the room it was 04:00.

I set my alarm for 6 and slept straight through till 10:30 when the reception called me.

Now because of this I was late to work I have lost my 6 months contract. And my reputation has been ruined with 4 of the companies involved.
Page 1
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 5th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    To be fair, I think you've got a case for breach of contract here....

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/terms-conditions

We operate a relocation policy (for more detail on why would it be necessary for you to be relocated click here). If a room is unavailable on arrival (other than due to an event beyond our reasonable control - see paragraph J6 below) then we agree to either:
    1. provide a room, and subject to availability any equivalent Extras which you have booked, in another Travelodge hotel and pay the reasonable cost of transport to that alternative hotel or any applicable car park charges; or
    2. provide a room in a third party hotel and pay the reasonable cost of transport to that alternative hotel or any applicable car park charges; or
    3. at your request or, if in our reasonable opinion there is no suitable alternative hotel accommodation available, cancel your booking and refund you any money you have paid in advance for the unavailable room(s) including related food & beverage Extras (all other Extras are non-refundable).
    by D.4
    This particular part is sticking out for me:

"The room was £50 for a room for which he replied ďno I said 60Ē. I wasnít going to argue I was just happy to have a room. Another 20 minutes trying to book the room as the credit card device had no signal."

Sort of suggests that YOU paid for the third party hotel? If that's the case then surely Travelodge didn't "provide a room in a third party hotel" as stated on their Ts and Cs ??

It just seems so surreal! One of the rare moments where I actually think a customer has been treated really badly. I'd get onto a solicitor if I were you and see what they say.
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 5th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    Hi Stuart,

Yes I had to pay for the hotel but they did refund me the next day.

John
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 5th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    Thanks for the advice
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 5th Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 3,649 Thanks
    JReacher1
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    Are you actually financially out on the hotel costs?

Terrible customer service but if they provided another hotel and paid for the transport costs to this hotel then they’ve covered their financial obligations.

I can’t imagine you’ll get any compensation for losing the six month contract.

I’m not sure what you can really do
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 15,447 Posts
    • 38,807 Thanks
    elsien
    Did your company not take any account of the circumstances at all?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Petaldust
    • By Petaldust 5th Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Petaldust
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    If you haven't already, hunt out Travelodge's chief exec on !!!!!!!!!!!!! and send them an email detailing what happened. Nothing to lose.
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 5th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    Well I forgot to mention to them that I paid for the taxi back to the travelodge. So Iím actually owed 20 pounds I have the receipt from the taxi driver.
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 5th Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    Well my company said they had an investigation. But I’m a contractor and they can use any excuse to end s contract and they did.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 5th Dec 17, 10:34 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 3,649 Thanks
    JReacher1
    Well my company said they had an investigation. But Iím a contractor and they can use any excuse to end s contract and they did.
    Originally posted by John_Sinclair
    You did in fairness arrive several hours late for work.

Although travelodge treated you terribly it was you that slept through your alarm.

Ask for the £20 back but I think youíll get no more from them than that.
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 5th Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    Would you have woken up if you had 1hr and 30 minutes sleep? Well I shall take Stuart’s advice and see a solicitor anyway.
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 5th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    The email from Travelodge.

Thank you for your further email.

I would like to kindly advise that upon further investigation with our hotel manager, he has confirmed that after returning back to the hotel on the following morning that a refund for your third party booking was issued, and this was deemed as acceptable by yourself.

Our relocation policy is stated in our terms and conditions which you had accepted prior to completing your booking at our Milton Keynes hotel and whilst I am extremely sorry that this happened to yourself, I believe that it was handled as smoothly as it could have been by our staff members.

As previously mentioned, the offer of a leisure complimentary stay is still there for you should you wish to accept this at a later time.

I hope that we shall have the pleasure of your company again in the future.
    Kind regards

Rachael Smith

Travelodge Customer Services
    Chief Executive's Office
    • John_Sinclair
    • By John_Sinclair 5th Dec 17, 11:07 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John_Sinclair
    The thing is the hotel manager was a women not a man.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 6th Dec 17, 12:28 AM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 18,384 Thanks
    mije1983
    The thing is the hotel manager was a women not a man.
    I wouldn't get hung up on a little detail like that if the rest of the email is true to what happened.

Maybe it's a typo (missed out the 's'), maybe either one of the managers you or they spoke to was a covering/assistant manager etc. They are likely to have more than one manager who works there as one person can't be there 24/7. Either way, it's probably not important to your issue.

It seems you have pushed for more, as I would have done, but they have refused to give in. From what you have said (and their terms), they handled the relocation in line with what they said they do. It was just unfortunate that you arrived so late in the day which made it more difficult for them to resolve it speedily.

I can't see you getting anything else out of them, and I'd be wary of spending money on a solicitor with no guarantee that you would be successful.

• photome
    • By photome 6th Dec 17, 6:19 AM
    • 12,842 Posts
    • 8,313 Thanks
    photome
    Would you have woken up if you had 1hr and 30 minutes sleep? Well I shall take Stuart’s advice and see a solicitor anyway.
    Yes if it meant keeping my job, I probably would have stayed awake.

On a another note if I am arriving late in the day at a Travelodge or any other budget hotel I always call them during the aternoon that day, to let them know I will definitely be coming and at what time, touch wood they have never given my room away
    Last edited by photome; 06-12-2017 at 6:22 AM.
    • missile
    • By missile 6th Dec 17, 7:41 AM
    • 9,025 Posts
    • 4,398 Thanks
    missile
    Thanks for that.
    I shall remember never to book a Travelodge
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Dec 17, 8:35 AM
    • 18,590 Posts
    • 47,847 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Yes if it meant keeping my job, I probably would have stayed awake.

On a another note if I am arriving late in the day at a Travelodge or any other budget hotel I always call them during the aternoon that day, to let them know I will definitely be coming and at what time, touch wood they have never given my room away
    Originally posted by photome
    +1 to both these comments.
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 6th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    I think you should, BUT I suggested that on the assumption that they hadn't paid the other hotel bill. If they've paid the other hotel bill + travel costs then it isn't breach of contract.

I don't think you'll get much (if anything) for what happened beyond that (work etc). But always worth asking the question to people who look into this sort of thing for a living.

1h 30 mins of sleep? To be fair but in those circumstances I'd either:

1. ARRIVE A DAY EARLIER (to be arriving at 10pm on the night before is poor planning on your part as you didn't plan for any possible issues like this)

2. Not sleep at all so that you don't risk being late (being on time and extremely tired is better than being late and sluggish)
    • basill
    • By basill 6th Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    basill
    I was invited to check in online for a recent Premier Inn stay, do TL offer this and would it guarantee the room is not given away?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 4,184 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I am shocked that Travelodge routinely give rooms away that people have paid for in advance.

I have never stayed at a Travelodge. I never will now.

I appreciate some other hotels will also overbook the cheap rooms, but they usually upgrade people to better rooms or suites when this happens.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,234Posts Today

7,418Users online

Martin's Twitter