Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonney92
    • By jonney92 5th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jonney92
    First time buyer mortgage
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    First time buyer mortgage 5th Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    Hello,

Need some advice I'm a first time buyer.

I have seen a apartment on the market for £164k I would like to purchase this on the help to buy scheme. For local buyers there is a additional 10% off the asking price to which I would be entitled too.

I am totally new to this sort of thing so £164k with 20% off help to buy then another 10% off would this mean I need a £126k mortgage? If I put down a £30k deposit over a 30year payback I'm 25years old.

I only earn around £16k a year so is this do able or should I consider moving jobs? My hourly rate is good but my hours per week is what let's it down.

Any thoughts do you reckon i could get a mortgage on this?

Any help appreciated thanks everyone
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 5th Dec 17, 7:54 PM
    • 15,868 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    ACG
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:54 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:54 PM
    On £16k you would not be able to get close, general rule of thumb is 4.5x income, but on lower incomes it would be closer to 4x if not less, so at best you are probably looking at around £60-65k.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • jonney92
    • By jonney92 5th Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonney92
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    Hello,

Thanks for your quick reply total newbie to this read different articles. So the bank would only roughly lend me £60-£65k. Meaning I need to up my deposit or change jobs
    • ACG
    • By ACG 5th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 15,868 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    ACG
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    Pretty much.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

1,591Users online

Martin's Twitter