Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MuseH
    • By MuseH 5th Dec 17, 7:22 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MuseH
    Help with misdescribed item
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:22 PM
    Help with misdescribed item 5th Dec 17 at 7:22 PM
    Hi

I hope someone can offer some advice.

I ordered an item online from a well known department store. They have taken my payment and the item has been delivered to me. However, the item is not as described. It is a set of drinking glasses and is described as coming in a wooden mahogany box. The box is missing. I have contacted the seller and they have apologised and offered a refund or a discount of £20 for the missing box. They say they cannot replace the item as it is now out of stock.

I donít want a refund or a discount but would like the item I have paid for and as they describe it. The item is in stock on the actual manufacturers website, so can I insist they source it for me?

I do actually suspect that the seller has made a mistake and described the item as coming in a box when it doesnít, as they have the identical item at a higher price, in stock, on their website. The description is exactly the same as the item I ordered so I wonder if there is a mistake somewhere. If there is, can I insist they give me the item in stock?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Page 1
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    • 12,836 Posts
    • 8,306 Thanks
    photome
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    IMO the seller is doing the right thing by offering a refund or a discount.

Why not take the refund and buy from whoever has it in stock

Edit just re read your post and seems you think they have made a mistake on the website, if they have made a mistake they are still doing the right thing in offering a discount or refund
    • MuseH
    • By MuseH 5th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MuseH
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    Thanks for your reply and I understand what you are saying. I’m just disappointed that I’ve ordered something based on their description and as they’ve sent it to me, isn’t there a contract in place for them to supply the item as described for the price I have paid?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 5th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Hi

I hope someone can offer some advice.

I ordered an item online from a well known department store. They have taken my payment and the item has been delivered to me. However, the item is not as described. It is a set of drinking glasses and is described as coming in a wooden mahogany box. The box is missing. I have contacted the seller and they have apologised and offered a refund or a discount of £20 for the missing box. They say they cannot replace the item as it is now out of stock.

I donít want a refund or a discount but would like the item I have paid for and as they describe it. The item is in stock on the actual manufacturers website, so can I insist they source it for me?

I do actually suspect that the seller has made a mistake and described the item as coming in a box when it doesnít, as they have the identical item at a higher price, in stock, on their website. The description is exactly the same as the item I ordered so I wonder if there is a mistake somewhere. If there is, can I insist they give me the item in stock?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by MuseH

The short answer is no.
    • MuseH
    • By MuseH 5th Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MuseH
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    Thanks for the response. I was just thinking of ways to obtain the item I’ve paid for and that they have described. I don’t really want to be left with having to return it, await the refund and then have to pay a higher price to obtain it elsewhere but I suppose a refund is better than no refund.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 5th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 3,869 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    What is the item in question? I'm wondering how obvious the mistake was.
    • MuseH
    • By MuseH 5th Dec 17, 8:30 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MuseH
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:30 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:30 PM
    The written description states 8 crystal glasses and it comes in a wooden mahogany style box. There are no pictures of the box on the site. The item was on sale. They have the same item description at a higher price, also with a wooden box and for that item, they show a picture of the box. I otherwise canít see the difference in the two items to warrant the price difference, so I am guessing there is a mistake there and that the lower priced item I ordered perhaps doesnít come with a box even though they state it does. Itís only since looking online now that they say it is out of stock, that I have discovered this.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 5th Dec 17, 8:46 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    camelot1971
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:46 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:46 PM
    Seriously? What do you expect them to do? Manufacture a box just for you? Mistakes happen and things sell out. There must be other places you can spend your money.

They made a perfectly fair and reasonable offer to you to make up for it or they are happy to refund you.
    • MuseH
    • By MuseH 5th Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MuseH
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    Well of course I donít expect them to manufacture a box just for me as that would be rather a ridiculous thing to require, wouldnít it?! The glasses do come with a box because I have seen it for sale and it is in stock, just at a higher price. I just came on here for advice as to whether there was any alternative rights available to me other than a refund because really, I would like to have the item they have contracted to sell to me rather than my money back. Thanks for your response anyway!
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 5th Dec 17, 10:33 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    Sadly you have no option or ability to force the shop to supply the box. Either return the glasses for a full refund and buy the glasses and box from a different supplier. Or accept the offer of the partial refund. Those are your options
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,215Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin