Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JButler
    • By JButler 5th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 35Thanks
    JButler
    Christmas Menu...
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    Christmas Menu... 5th Dec 17 at 7:00 PM
    Evening guys,

Im sitting trying to plan our Christmas menu. Im getting a little bored of the same starter and dessert. We usually have either chicken liver pate or ham hock terrine, then Christmas dinner with all of the trimmings (this year it will be capon, beef and venison) and for dessert is either pavlova or xmas pud.

Whats everyone else having?

Im just looking for some different ideas. There will be 18 of us this year, 16 adults, 1 teenager and a toddler.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

J

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-12-2017 at 9:55 AM.
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life ... until I go and buy something!
Page 2
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 6th Dec 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 6,814 Thanks
    melanzana
    I know it's tradition, but some of your plates must be size of manhole covers to fit in all that food! What's with all the veg too? So many different varieties. Why?? I suppose it's because you like them, but still four or five different veg sides. OMG.

But whatever you like, enjoy.

Ours is very simple, neither of us like huge portions of anything.

Scrambled egg and smoked salmon on bagels with fizz for breakfast. Yep fizz for breakfast. OK once a year I reckon!

Lunch/Dinner, homemade veg soup with cream and home made brown soda bread with REAL butter.

After an hour or so, salmon en crutches (en croute ha ha), roast, mash and croquettes, roasted root veg and that's it.

Cheese and bikkies to nibble at through the evening.

Plenty of wine and brandy to finish it (and us!) off.

Baileys coffee at some point.

Hic.

It's as much about the drinks as the food here as you can see!
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 6th Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    • 4,110 Posts
    • 9,120 Thanks
    Linda32
    I will share ours but it won't give anyone any inspiration. Same every year.

Roast Turkey (never a crown) roast potatoes, parsnips, Brussels and stuffing balls.
    Christmas pudding and brandy sauce.

Tea is the same every year. Cheese, biscuits, ham, pork pie and sausage rolls.

We don't have a special breakfast. OH will probably have a bacon sandwich or toast and I will have boiled egg on toast which is what I currently have.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 7th Dec 17, 7:46 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 5,199 Thanks
    Cappella
    Ours is very traditional, and a little dull if youíre looking for inspiration.
    No starter.
    Christmas nut roast for the vegetarians.
    Turkey and sausages for the meat eaters. hm sage and onion stuffing balls, bread sauce, mashed potatoes, sprouts, peas with spring onions, mashed carrot and swede, green beans, leeks and roast parsnips. We have anvery productive allotment and like a LOT of vegetables and I might do red cabbage with apple and caraway seeds as well if the mood takes me..
    Dessert will be either nut tart (I only ever make this at Christmas as the calories are frightening) Christmas pudding, trifle or fresh fruit.
    People help themselves to breakfast, nothing cooked though, and we eat late. There will be a cheese board, hm bread, lots of fruit and a bowls of salad on the side in the kitchen and and people usually just help themselves if they're hungry, either to leftovers or the extras. We play board games in the afternoon.
    Goodness it does look excessive written don, but there will be 8 of us this year and Iíll be surprised if anything much is left after Boxing Day. Last year the trifle was eaten by my sons friends for breakfast on Boxing Day. What it is to be young
    • C J
    • By C J 7th Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    • 962 Posts
    • 5,528 Thanks
    C J
    This is what I'll be cooking for Christmas lunch this year :

Celeriac and white truffle soup cups

Scallops on parsnip puree with parsnip crisps and pomegranate

Roast turkey, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets, sage and onion stuffing, sausagemeat stuffing, glazed sprouts with caramelised red onion, bread sauce, cranberry relish, Yorkshire puddings, orange butter glazed carrots, gravy

Sherry trifle / orange mascarpone mousse / chocolate tart

Cheeseboard
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 7th Dec 17, 1:43 PM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 25,673 Thanks
    thriftylass
    I know it's tradition, but some of your plates must be size of manhole covers to fit in all that food! What's with all the veg too? So many different varieties. Why?? I suppose it's because you like them, but still four or five different veg sides. OMG.

Originally posted by melanzana
    For us it's more of a selection/ being able to choose. Not everybody will get everything. As there are 8-10 of us it's more about catering for different tastes (btw the host doesn't cook it all, everybody brings some of it). Some might have the boiled tatties and carrots, I prefer sprouts and croquets. It'll fit on a normal size plate and mostly we plan so that there are even hardly any leftovers for the next day. That's what makes it special for us as it's different to a normal family roast, more like a buffet to choose from.
    • chella
    • By chella 7th Dec 17, 3:40 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,265 Thanks
    chella
    Breakfast is home cooked croissants and bucks fizz, Danish pastries also home made if wanted and Ferrero rochers!! We have breakfast while opening some gifts.

Christmas dinner is roast chicken, stuffing, pigs in blankets, carrot swede mash, carrots,sprouts, Yorkshires, gravy. I have a bread sauce to make also.

Evening is a cheese board, bubbly, cold cuts of belly pork and a salad. and more chocolate I expect.

Port and baileys/coffee/tea mince pies in the evening if wanted.

then repeat the last 2 sentences over the next few days til everything's gone.

NOT BUYING IT!!! 2015

• Vates
    • By Vates 7th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Vates
    I go my Sister's every year. I'm a pescatarian so slightly different menu for me.

Christmas eve my Sister is making macaroni cheese plus some nibbly bits or party food.

Breakfast is pancakes with maple syrup and bacon. Bananas for me.

Lunch starter is smoked salmon pate and baked camembert with nice bread. Followed by turkey with all the trimmings for the meat eaters and I'm having butternut squash & sweet potato rosti with roasted potatoes and vegetables.

Pudding this year is a dessert from Aldi. Toffee and pecan roulade.

Various nibbles around teatime. Cheeses, turkey rolls, prawns, etc.
    • worn out mum
    • By worn out mum 7th Dec 17, 9:54 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    worn out mum
    It's DH's birthday christmas day so he chooses what we have, which is what we do for every bodies birthdays. This year we are having a barbeque - Steak, chicken and sausages, boiled baby spuds, salad and coleslaw then Eton mess for us and chocolate mousse for the kids.
    Breakfast is croissants and pain au chocolat and tea is salads, cold meats, salad, cheese and crackers and birthday cake.
    All but breakfast is homemade.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 8th Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 9,742 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    It is not unusual for there to be at least three different veggies with a main meal for me....tonight will probably be broccoli, carrots, and sugar-snap peas....possibly a few sprouts too. ...and this is just an 'ordinary' night.....Christmas Day will include a few more!

I am more surprised at the people who have three different sorts of meat on the table...we will enjoy small portions of one type of meat.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Dec 17, 9:02 AM
    • 61,014 Posts
    • 356,391 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Just because the day has a name, it doesn't gift me the ability to eat much more than any other day

I'll be having a "traditional basic" Christmas, undecided at present, but probably: turkey, Yorkshire pudding, stuffing, roast spud, roast parsnips, brussels, carrots, swede mash, couple of pigs without blankets. I am toying with the idea of making a nut roast but by the time I get the above on my plate there probably wouldn't be room - my plate's not overly large, just "small but oval so you can squeeze a bit more on".

No cranberry sauce, no bread sauce. Just gravy.

No breakfast, no starter, no dessert, no "tea" later.

There's just me, so variety has to go out the window really.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 08-12-2017 at 9:04 AM.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 8th Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    BBH123
    We are very traditional aswell.

Breakfast - scrambled eggs , smoked salmon, toast, White Champagne

Lunch - Pink Champagne

Starter - seafood canap!s, mini bread rolls, basically anything fishy from M & S.

About 2.30pm - Turkey / beef / gammon, roasties, pigs in blankets, carrot / swede mash, sprouts and parsnips done in honey drizzle and bacon lardons, cauli cheese, peas, bread sauce , cranberry, gravy

Desert , xmas pud or trifle for anyone who can fit it in

There after the rest of the day more fizz , chocolate and picky bits with a cheeseboard for anyone who can eat more.

Dogs - main meal of beef joint shared between all of them with all the doggy appropriate trimmings,
    They all have doggy selection boxes as gifts so will probably eat some of that aswell.

Horses - carrots
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Dec 17, 2:06 PM
    • 18,592 Posts
    • 47,855 Thanks
    Pollycat
    We have lots of different veg:
    roast potatoes, new potatoes, mash, sprouts, carrots, cabbage, roast parsnips, roast leeks & romanesco.
    Only small amounts of each but we like the variety of tastes.
    This year, we're having pork (neither of us like turkey) so will also have stuffing with added sausage meat.

We have a breakfast of tomato sausage, black pudding & brown sauce on a roll so we don't have starters & neither of us likes puddings.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 9th Dec 17, 4:15 PM
    • 16,624 Posts
    • 48,414 Thanks
    freyasmum
    A spoonful of each veg and a slice or two of meat doesn't require a manhole cover-sized plate. Even if you do have a pig in a blanket and a stuffing ball with it.

Neither does a salad starter with 1/6th of a quiche, or a few fish goujons/mushrooms.

It just makes the meal a bit more different to others throughout the year. And there are plenty of us, so everything is either eaten over the course of the few days (including a packed lunch for us to drive home with) or frozen to be used as an instant dinner in January.

Our main is usually about an hour after our starter by the time we've eaten, cleared up and dished up again. Last year, most of us didn't have pudding on Christmas day at all. We don't have a big lunch either.
    • JButler
    • By JButler 12th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    JButler
    Thanks for all your responses guys! I can see it being the usual suspects that we have every year! I think I might be in trouble if I break with tradition.
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life ... until I go and buy something!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Dec 17, 8:20 PM
    • 10,114 Posts
    • 24,952 Thanks
    suki1964

Ours is very simple, neither of us like huge portions of anything.

Scrambled egg and smoked salmon on bagels with fizz for breakfast. Yep fizz for breakfast. OK once a year I reckon!

Lunch/Dinner, homemade veg soup with cream and home made brown soda bread with REAL butter.

After an hour or so, salmon en crutches (en croute ha ha), roast, mash and croquettes, roasted root veg and that's it.

Cheese and bikkies to nibble at through the evening.

Plenty of wine and brandy to finish it (and us!) off.

Baileys coffee at some point.

Hic.

It's as much about the drinks as the food here as you can see!

Wow, you may have small plates but you are certainly tucking away the calories

This is my table at Christmas. The veg is in normal cereal bowls , the meat is on a platter and will do three days at least

if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

still singing, loud and clear
    • vivaespana
    • By vivaespana 13th Dec 17, 9:37 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    vivaespana
    I have a huge challenge for Christmas dinner this year. I am on my own in a micro caravan with only a two burner stove and a slowcooker at my disposal and EVERYTHING to do with a traditional Christmas dinner seems to involve an oven! I am thinking turkey slices from the deli, I might try to fry stuffing balls instead of baking, boiled/mash potatoes is achievable but I will miss out on crispy roast spuds. Even all the pre-prepared stuff involves an oven! At least the wine doesn't need an oven!!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Dec 17, 9:56 AM
    • 61,014 Posts
    • 356,391 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I have a huge challenge for Christmas dinner this year. I am on my own in a micro caravan with only a two burner stove and a slowcooker at my disposal and EVERYTHING to do with a traditional Christmas dinner seems to involve an oven! I am thinking turkey slices from the deli, I might try to fry stuffing balls instead of baking, boiled/mash potatoes is achievable but I will miss out on crispy roast spuds. Even all the pre-prepared stuff involves an oven! At least the wine doesn't need an oven!!
    Originally posted by vivaespana
    I am on my own without an oven/hob. Looks like you've got it covered, so don't need my "input/help"

Turkey slices are great as you've no leftovers. I'm doing a turkey breast that's sold in a foil container.

I did my first one last year - learnt some lessons - and this year have a slightly different menu.
    • Bellisima
    • By Bellisima 13th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Bellisima
    Weíve never done a starter. I feel starters blunt the appetite, donít even like them in a restaurant, especially as there is so much food on offer in the main course and pudding, then of course the evening tea.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Dec 17, 5:07 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 3,598 Thanks
    redofromstart
    We have some regular favourites:

Feta and watermelon salad- there are lots of variations on this, I like to add pistachios too.

Hot smoked salmon salad with orange segments and a honey/mustard dressing

Blue cheese, spinach and bacon salad

It just wants the tiniest of portions, a ramekin full at most, not a great bowl full. Its generally eaten while the veg finishes off in this house, so that everybody is sat at the table ready, with crackers done, glasses filled and ready to help themselves to the main course.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    • 18,592 Posts
    • 47,855 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Wow, you may have small plates but you are certainly tucking away the calories

This is my table at Christmas. The veg is in normal cereal bowls , the meat is on a platter and will do three days at least

Originally posted by suki1964
    I'm coveting that meat platter, Suki.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter