Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 5th Dec 17, 5:54 PM
    • 86Posts
    • 48Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: 100,000+ university leavers likely owed £100s as they started repaying...
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:54 PM
    MSE News: 100,000+ university leavers likely owed £100s as they started repaying... 5th Dec 17 at 5:54 PM
    More than 100,000 university leavers in the last three years alone have begun repaying their student loan earlier than needed, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal - and if you have, you may be able to reclaim £100s...
    Read the full story:
    '100,000+ university leavers likely owed £100s as they started repaying their student loan too soon'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • miller
    • By miller 6th Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    miller
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    It would help of course if the HMRC Starter checklist didn't contain contradictions such as:

9) Do you have a Student Loan which is not fully repaid?
    If no, go to question 12
    12) Did you finish your studies before last 6 April?

What the bit in red should say is "proceed to sign and date this form" or similar.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/513621/Starter_checklist_v1.0.pdf
    • Adaffy
    • By Adaffy 11th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Adaffy
    • 11th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 11th Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    I graduated in 1 April 2015 and started working in May of the same year where they have also started deducting my student loan. I called SLC and they said that I was not eligible for any refund due to the fact that I graduated 5 days before the new tax year started (6 April for year 2015/2016). Is this accurate and am I really not eligible? I just want to make sure I am not losing out.

Thanks in advance for your response.
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 11th Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    MSE Callum
    • 11th Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    Adaffy, that is correct. In this respect you are very unfortunate - you must be one of the few people to graduate in the first few days of April!!
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    • Adaffy
    • By Adaffy 12th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Adaffy
    • 12th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    • 12th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    Thank you for your response MSE Callum. Most appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,248Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin