Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 5th Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    • 2,462Posts
    • 3,526Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Supermarket fuel v the rest
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    Supermarket fuel v the rest 5th Dec 17 at 5:46 PM
    I'm sure this has been asked before - apologies.

OH is adamant that supermarket diesel is poor quality and bad for the engine. More than that, he prefers to use the 'premium' variety, even at the non-supermarket filling stations. Personally I'd be happy enough to use the supermarket stuff mostly because it's a lot cheaper but also because I'm at the supermarket at least once a week, whereas I have to go out of my way to go to our nearest non-supermarket one. So cheaper, and more convenient.

Is he right? Or doesn't it make that much of a difference?
Page 1
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 5th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    • 2,460 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    You won't get a sensible answer here.

This has been debated ad nauseam both here and elsewhere, and there are entrenched opinions on both sides, and not much, if any, hard evidence.

FWIW I very much doubt if there's any difference, and I'm always amazed that people who subscribe to "money-saving" would voluntarily pay more than necessary for fuel, or buy expensive snake-oil "additives".

[Lights blue touch-paper and retires to a safe distance.]
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 5th Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    Dont forget Sainsburies,Asda etc do not make the petrol/diesel,it is bought in from the refinery where other companies get there fuel.I used to work for a national pump/plant hire company who ran a lot of vehicles and they recomended Morrisons supermarkets to fill up the tanks as it was cheaper than Shell,BP etc and the fuel was perfect.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 5th Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 3,961 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    In 20 years of driving diesels I have only used supermarket fuel. Never had any problems.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 5th Dec 17, 6:58 PM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 2,339 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:58 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:58 PM
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 5th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 3,526 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:53 PM
    Thanks Car54 - I thought that might be the way of it.

Aretnap - enjoy.

OH is not to be swayed - but as it's me that fills the cars up, it's not really up to him, is it??
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 5th Dec 17, 7:54 PM
    • 4,615 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:54 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:54 PM
    You won't get a sensible answer here.

This has been debated ad nauseam both here and elsewhere, and there are entrenched opinions on both sides, and not much, if any, hard evidence.

FWIW I very much doubt if there's any difference, and I'm always amazed that people who subscribe to "money-saving" would voluntarily pay more than necessary for fuel, or buy expensive snake-oil "additives".

[Lights blue touch-paper and retires to a safe distance.]
    Originally posted by Car 54
    You will get a sensible answer, but it will be lost in all the unfounded drivel about how you get an extra million miles to a tank out of Shell fuel vs Tesco, or how a bloke down the pub once looked after a cat belonging to a woman whose ex-husband's new wife's cousin had their engine fail after filling up at Morrisons once so they must sell contaminated diesel.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 5th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    OH is not to be swayed - but as it's me that fills the cars up, it's not really up to him, is it??
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    If you are filling up the car then you should be choosing where to go. If your OH wants fancy branded fuel he should fill up and pay for it himself.

I use supermarket fuel I have never had a problem and get good fuel economy. Branded fuel may have fancier additives that help things a bit but the price premium is likely to make any fuel economy improvements moot.

In the end all the petrol & diesel comes from the same fuel base stocks from the refineries and has to conform to the same British Standard. The fuel for every filling station is stored at a few regional storage facilities. At these facilities you will see fuel tankers with all sorts of names on including the likes of Shell, BP, and supermarket brands. The only differences can be the additive packs that are added to the fuel when tankers are loaded and these compromise a very small proportion of the what is the tanker.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 5th Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 3,526 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    I'm not worried about who pays for it - as my late great mother-in-law so eloquently put it, we both p!ss in the same pot...

And the savings would benefit us both too - but I wouldn't want to be saving the money if it turned out to be a false economy. As it doesn't seem to make any difference, I'll go down the supermarket route.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 5th Dec 17, 8:22 PM
    • 2,829 Posts
    • 1,744 Thanks
    Ectophile
    I'm old enough to remember "New Formula Shell", probably the first petrol advertised as having additives to clean your engine, back in the 1980's.

I was lucky. I realised very quickly how badly my old Mk1 Escourt ran on the stuff, drove to another filling station, and used up a large chunk of my student grant brimming the tank with another brand of petrol. The car survived for a few more years.

Others weren't so lucky. Shell ended up withdrawing the stuff and compensating owners of cars with wrecked engines.

So forgive me if I'm cynical whenever I see adverts for wonderful new additives in expensive brand-name fuels. My cars run mostly on supermarket petrol and diesel.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Dec 17, 8:42 PM
    • 12,838 Posts
    • 8,311 Thanks
    photome
    I'm not worried about who pays for it - as my late great mother-in-law so eloquently put it, we both p!ss in the same pot...

And the savings would benefit us both too - but I wouldn't want to be saving the money if it turned out to be a false economy. As it doesn't seem to make any difference, I'll go down the supermarket route.
    Over the last 15 years I have driven about 500,000 miles exclusively on supermarket diesel in a few differnt cars and never had any issue

You could fill up with supermarket diesel and tell him it’s the expensive stuff, he wouldn’t know any different
    • Wig
    • By Wig 5th Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    • 13,581 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Wig
    I only ever fill up at supermarket, maybe less than 10 times in total in the last 30 years have I filled at a brand name station.

Never a problem.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 26,234 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    99.99999% Supermarket. The only one i avoid is Morrisons..

Going back quite a few years, I avoided it because they had more bio fuel in their mix compared to everyone else, which some cars had issues with. But i think its all the same % now.

I avoid my local Morrisons because they have had several misfuellings, wrong fuels in the tanks.
    But whilst on holiday i have no issues with using Morrisons fuel.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 6th Dec 17, 12:58 AM
    • 4,170 Posts
    • 3,674 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Fill with supermarket, don't tell him, see if he notices any difference. He won't

If you really want to test it, do that then after a month or so of him not noticing tell him that you've put supermarket fuel in on the latest fill (invent some reason) and enjoy his immediate discovery of sluggishness & poor running. Then accept that he knows best, reassure him you're back on the good stuff, while continuing to fill at the supermarket safe in the knowledge he really can't tell the difference

Oh, and let us know how it goes!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th Dec 17, 8:28 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 3,526 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Joe Horner - that made me laugh out loud, and that's exactly what I've done in the past... Yes, he does reckon he can tell.

Does it make any difference what sort of car it is?

Popcorn at the ready...
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 6th Dec 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    99.99999% Supermarket. The only one i avoid is Morrisons..
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I'm with you on that.

Difficult to be 100% sure but I think Tesco is straightforward Esso.
    Show me the man and Iíll show you the crime Beria/Momentum
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    • 30,425 Posts
    • 19,235 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Nothing wrong with supermarket fuel, as its you who does the filling up you choose where you fill up.

Been using supermarket fuel fo years, a mix of Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, waitrose when it was competitive price.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Dec 17, 8:43 AM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Joe Horner - that made me laugh out loud, and that's exactly what I've done in the past... Yes, he does reckon he can tell.
    Extensive double-blind trials at the ready...

Does it make any difference what sort of car it is?
    With petrol, higher octane does make a difference in some cars. Most of those which can take advantage of the higher octane are either very high performance, or much older. The modern stuff will mostly automatically adjust to work just fine with "vanilla", the older stuff can be adjusted.

With diesel, it's much less clear-cut...
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 6th Dec 17, 8:45 AM
    • 9,882 Posts
    • 7,362 Thanks
    GunJack
    All would say is that Sainsbury's diesel gives me the same mpg as shell but 4p a litre cheaper

But I won't go back to asda again - got caught out and had to put a tank in at asda and ended up 4mpg less on that tankfull
    This has been in the last couple of months.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • reeac
    • By reeac 6th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    reeac
    I was told by someone who worked for Mobil for many years that supermarket fuel met the requisite spec. but only marginally so. There might, therefore, be a slight beneficial/harmful effect which only showed up after some years so those who religiously change their cars every 3 years wouldn't encounter it. Personally I buy from non- supermarket filling stations but that may be to some extent because our Waitrose doesn't sell petrol.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

2,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin