Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smart.simon
    • By smart.simon 5th Dec 17, 5:17 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    smart.simon
    Sofa order gone wrong...what are my rights?
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:17 PM
    Sofa order gone wrong...what are my rights? 5th Dec 17 at 5:17 PM
    Hello,

My wife and I have recently bought a new house, and as a result have ordered a new sofa (previous one wouldn't fit in our lounge correctly).

We ordered on 28/9/17 from a small, independent sofa retailer, literally a one-shop setup. We paid in full via bank transfer on the day.

We finally received a call on 28/11/17 to say our sofa had arrived. YAY, finally!

We went in to the shop today, and spoke with staff to arrange collection etc. However, it turns out that the sofa has been ordered in the wrong colour. We ordered in a cream/light grey colour, its been ordered in a very dark grey. It would look awful in our lounge!
    The shop worker showed us their copy of the invoice, which states the colour that the sofa has been made in, but this is certainly not what we discussed in the shop. Furthermore, we were never given a copy of this receipt (the one stating the colour) so assumed that the sofa had been ordered in the colour we had discussed in the shop.
    The guy who runs the shop (not the company owner) seems to have made a mistake at the point of order.

Finally, as we were completing the order, the shop owner entered. They said that ultimately if we didn't like it, or it didn't fit, then we could change it, but this is a verbal agreement, nothing in writing.

Do we have any rights here? Change of mind? Cooling off period?
Page 1
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 5th Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    • 14,181 Posts
    • 76,292 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    Hello,

My wife and I have recently bought a new house, and as a result have ordered a new sofa (previous one wouldn't fit in our lounge correctly).

We ordered on 28/9/17 from a small, independent sofa retailer, literally a one-shop setup. We paid in full via bank transfer on the day.

We finally received a call on 28/11/17 to say our sofa had arrived. YAY, finally!

We went in to the shop today, and spoke with staff to arrange collection etc. However, it turns out that the sofa has been ordered in the wrong colour. We ordered in a cream/light grey colour, its been ordered in a very dark grey. It would look awful in our lounge!
    The shop worker showed us their copy of the invoice, which states the colour that the sofa has been made in, but this is certainly not what we discussed in the shop. Furthermore, we were never given a copy of this receipt (the one stating the colour) so assumed that the sofa had been ordered in the colour we had discussed in the shop.
    The guy who runs the shop (not the company owner) seems to have made a mistake at the point of order.

Finally, as we were completing the order, the shop owner entered. They said that ultimately if we didn't like it, or it didn't fit, then we could change it, but this is a verbal agreement, nothing in writing.

Do we have any rights here? Change of mind? Cooling off period?
    Originally posted by smart.simon
    You have lots of rights - but principally to the sofa you ordered. You have no right to simply change your mind. If you genuinely ordered a different colour, then it could come down to a judge having to decide whether he believes you.

Are you quite sure that the sofa is not what you ordered? Unfortunately, a large item's colour will look different to a small colour swatch.

Never pay the whole price by bank transfer. At least pay a deposit by credit card.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,858Posts Today

8,567Users online

Martin's Twitter