Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • morelka5
    • By morelka5 5th Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    morelka5
    Planning permission for decking to leashold maisonette
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:00 PM
    Planning permission for decking to leashold maisonette 5th Dec 17 at 5:00 PM
    Hi,
    We are a new owners of a ground floor maisonette with a garden and we are planning to replace the existing run down patio slabs and build a decking instead.
    Do we need a planning permission for that? Do we need to inform the landlord about our plans?
    What consequences would we have if we dont get the planning permission or contact the landlord?
    I feel I cant find anywhere any pre-advise information before actually paying and applying for the planning permission.
    Has any of you been in a similar situation?
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 5th Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    Whether or not you need PP depends on how high the decking will be. Check your local councils website for details.

I'm assuming this is a leasehold property. If so you will need permission from the freeholder.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 5th Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    We are a new owners of a ground floor maisonette with a garden and we are planning to replace the existing run down patio slabs and build a decking instead.
    Do we need a planning permission for that?
    Originally posted by morelka5
    If it were a house, it might be permitted development. But there's no permitted development for maisonettes.

See: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/11/decking

Probably best to discuss it with your local planning authority.

Do we need to inform the landlord about our plans?
    Yes - you'll probably need consent from your landlord (freeholder). You need to read your lease to find out for sure.

What consequences would we have if we dont get the planning permission or contact the landlord?
    You might have problems when you sell - and the landlord might take the opportunity to shaft you with a big fee.

Or if your lease does not allow decking, the landlord might make you remove it. (e.g. because a neighbour complains.)

Also, if the planning authority find out within 4 years (e.g. because a vindictive neighbour complains) they might take enforcement action - but I think that's unlikely for decking.

I feel I cant find anywhere any pre-advise information before actually paying and applying for the planning permission.
    Most council websites mention pre-application advice. Sometimes they want you to 'drop in', sometimes they want you to write - and many now charge a fee.
    • morelka5
    • By morelka5 6th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    morelka5
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    Many thanks for your replies! I appreciate it a lot!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,407Posts Today

8,243Users online

Martin's Twitter