Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • K789
    • By K789 5th Dec 17, 4:51 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    K789
    Bad Landlord
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:51 PM
    Bad Landlord 5th Dec 17 at 4:51 PM
    Hi, I am posting this question on behalf of my a family member.

She has a 3 month old baby and is renting privately. She noticed a burning rubber smell from the washing machine the other day. She continued using it, until she saw an electrical spark coming from the washing machine. She contacted the estate agents and they informed her that the landlord is refusing to do anything about it.

Could the landlord be sued over this? what if her or someone got an electrical shock from this faulty washing machine?

I am really angry over this as the landlord knows that she has a small baby and would need to washing its clothes daily.
Page 1
    • ljonski
    • By ljonski 5th Dec 17, 5:38 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 3,351 Thanks
    ljonski
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:38 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:38 PM
    I take it the washing machine came with the property? Now that she understands that there is a problem with it , it would be reckless of her to use it. She needs to check her contract if anything is mentioned in it about repairing it. Otherwise i suggest she either gets it repaired at her cost or get another leaving the old one somewhere on the property. If and when she moves , then she can then take the one she purchased with her!
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then itís the state thatís become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
    • bris
    • By bris 5th Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    • 7,087 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    bris
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    She had a burning smell but continued using it? I call that stupidity and not the LL's fault.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 5th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    Notwithstanding whether it is stupidity to keep using it or not, I would send a PM to a board guide and ask for the question to be moved to the House Buying Renting & Selling sub-forum. Board guides are:- Chickabiddybex, Dizzy Ditzy
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 5th Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    • 15,384 Posts
    • 20,993 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:18 PM
    Could the landlord be sued over this? what if her or someone got an electrical shock from this faulty washing machine?

I am really angry over this as the landlord knows that she has a small baby and would need to washing its clothes daily.
    Originally posted by K789
    Sue the Landlord?? She could sue herself for using an electrical appliance after smelling burning, but I am not sure they pay out for being stupid!

If the washing machine does come with the flat, then the LL does need to repair it within a reasonable time frame. Put the request IN WRITING.

In the mean time, do what other people without a washing machine do. Borrow the neighbour's machine, or family, or use a laundrette.

I remember letting my neighbour with a newborn baby use my washing machine when theirs broke.

Newborn babies do NOT need their clothes washing daily.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin