Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Will2911
    • By Will2911 5th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Will2911
    Buyers Solicitors have gone AWOL
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    Buyers Solicitors have gone AWOL 5th Dec 17 at 4:34 PM
    Hi,

We are currently selling our leasehold property. We have sold it to a company that has agreed to pay full market value. The sale was agreed some months ago. We have in the mean time found a freehold property we want to buy and our solicitor has completed the conveyancing on it. It is ready to exchange. As is we understand our sale. However our buyers solicitor has now basically disappeared. Doesn't respond to our solicitors emails for over a fortnight, not answering the phone to them. Our estate agent has got hold of someone in his office who has repeatedly promised to get a move on, but he doesn't seem to.

Really wanted to be moved by Xmas.

We have found we have this solicitors contact details from the memo of sale and also our buyers phone number and email. Should we try and chase them up ourselves or is it likely to make things worse?

This is becoming increasingly frustrating
Page 1
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 5th Dec 17, 4:37 PM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:37 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:37 PM
    Each situation is likely to be different, but typically solicitors act on the instructions of their clients, and if the solicitors are not communicating with your solicitor then it is entirely possible that is because their client has told them not to for one reason or another.

I would suggest that your EA gets in touch with your buyer and tries to establish the current position.
    • Will2911
    • By Will2911 5th Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Will2911
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    We thought that too. But apparently not, our Estate Agent has spoken to the buyer and they want to get this sorted too. They have told their solicitors to get on with it, but he has not responded to them either. The only one who has had any luck contacting them is our estate agent who they have repeatedly told they will sort it out to but then promptly do nothing
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 5th Dec 17, 5:18 PM
    • 4,485 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:18 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:18 PM
    Well, as it is your buyer who instructed them they must get onto them and get things moving. So tell the buyers to do this, it is not your place to chase them.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 5th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    Law Society rules forbid them from talking to you, so trying to chase up yourselves is pointless. As has been said, the only party with any leverage here is your buyers themselves, i.e. the ones paying them. You (probably via your estate agent) need to apply some pressure to them so that they pass it on to their solicitor!
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 5th Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 14,178 Posts
    • 76,267 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:30 PM
    Hi,

We are currently selling our leasehold property. We have sold it to a company that has agreed to pay full market value.
    Originally posted by Will2911
    You don't think that perhaps they are stringing you along until you become desperate, and then they are going to reduce their offer drastically?

I've done quite a lot of sales and purchases, and my experience is that any last minute hold-up is always down to the buyer or seller (or the bank!), not the solicitor. That still doesn't stop the buyer or seller swearing it's the solicitor's fault, mind you.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 5th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 56,213 Posts
    • 49,592 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    The only one who has had any luck contacting them is our estate agent who they have repeatedly told they will sort it out to but then promptly do nothing
    Then request a timescale. Put a deadline in place.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 5th Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 4,907 Thanks
    kelpie35
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    Can the buyer not use another solicitor?
    • Will2911
    • By Will2911 5th Dec 17, 6:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Will2911
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:00 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:00 PM
    You don't think that perhaps they are stringing you along until you become desperate, and then they are going to reduce their offer drastically?

I've done quite a lot of sales and purchases, and my experience is that any last minute hold-up is always down to the buyer or seller (or the bank!), not the solicitor. That still doesn't stop the buyer or seller swearing it's the solicitor's fault, mind you.
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    We don't think so. The firm who are buying ours also purchased another up the road and everything went through fine, no reduced offer or anything. From what we've heard this solicitor has a reputation in the industry for being painfully slow
    • Will2911
    • By Will2911 5th Dec 17, 6:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Will2911
    Then request a timescale. Put a deadline in place.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    We have told them it needs to be completed by the 15th December.

I hate to do it, but I think I may have to spend tommorow harassing people in order to get anywhere with this.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 5th Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 56,213 Posts
    • 49,592 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I hate to do it, but I think I may have to spend tommorow harassing people in order to get anywhere with this.
    Only person you need worry about is the buyer.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 5th Dec 17, 6:17 PM
    • 5,543 Posts
    • 5,228 Thanks
    eddddy
    Based on your posts, it really sounds like your buyers are playing games with you....

From what we've heard this solicitor has a reputation in the industry for being painfully slow
    Who did you hear that from? (Was it the buyers?)

Why did your buyers (a professional property company) decide to use a solicitor that everyone knows is rubbish?

They have told their solicitors to get on with it, but he has not responded to them either.
    A professional property company buys/sells load of properties - so they are a big important client of the solicitors. I don't think the solicitors would ignore one of their big clients.

It sounds much more like it's the buyers who are delaying.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 5th Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 5,428 Posts
    • 4,995 Thanks
    anselld
    Put the property back on the market. If the buyer is still interested it will focus the mind. If they have lost interest you will need to do this anyway.
    • Will2911
    • By Will2911 5th Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Will2911
    Based on your posts, it really sounds like your buyers are playing games with you....

Who did you hear that from? (Was it the buyers?)

Why did your buyers (a professional property company) decide to use a solicitor that everyone knows is rubbish?

A professional property company buys/sells load of properties - so they are a big important client of the solicitors. I don't think the solicitors would ignore one of their big clients.

It sounds much more like it's the buyers who are delaying.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    No, from our solicitor. They have had dealings with this firm and company before and they assured us that this is normal behaviour from both parties, as frustrating as it is
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 5th Dec 17, 7:04 PM
    • 5,543 Posts
    • 5,228 Thanks
    eddddy
    We have sold it to a company that has agreed to pay full market value.
    Going a little off topic - but what is this company's business? Is it a house buying company?

If it is, how do they make a profit from buying houses at full market value?
    • Will2911
    • By Will2911 5th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Will2911
    They're housing association
    • Will2911
    • By Will2911 7th Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Will2911
    OK..
    So we've got through one hurdle. The reason for the delay was they wanted a retention of £500 for service charges. We agreed to that yesterday, we were told that it was not necessary to sign a new contract or for the buyers to do so. But for some reason the buyers solicitor, even though he has been told it's nonsense by everyone wants a new contract. He has therefore written out a new one and sent it to his client... All fine but our buyer is a housing association who only signs contracts once a week on a Thursday morning. So therefore they won't sign it until next Thursday. Whi have us when we need to complete.

Just feels like this solicitor is making problems...

No need for this delay
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 7th Dec 17, 5:16 PM
    • 56,213 Posts
    • 49,592 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    All fine but our buyer is a housing association who only signs contracts once a week on a Thursday morning.
    Probably as that's when the authorised signatories convene to conduct formal business.
    ― Warren Buffett
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

228Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter