Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Teasedale
    • By Teasedale 5th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Teasedale
    can't find the policy!
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    can't find the policy! 5th Dec 17 at 3:57 PM
    Are insurers obliged to give you details of policies which you hold with them?

Just had a letter from the Pru asking me to confirm that I am who I am and live where I live. I also had to provide my policy number, but I just can't find anything with the Prudential name on it, though I did take out an endowment with them in 1966...
Page 1
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 5th Dec 17, 4:05 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:05 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:05 PM
    Did you try calling them and asking what to do?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 89,880 Posts
    • 56,553 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:31 PM
    Are insurers obliged to give you details of policies which you hold with them?
    Only if they know it is you. If they cannot identify you to a satisfactory level, then they can withhold information.

Just had a letter from the Pru asking me to confirm that I am who I am and live where I live. I also had to provide my policy number, but I just can't find anything with the Prudential name on it, though I did take out an endowment with them in 1966...
    They won't be reliant on one document alone. They will usually ask for a number of things and the hope is that from those they can find enough to be sure it is you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 5th Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    • 14,177 Posts
    • 76,267 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    Could this be an old pension scheme, perhaps from an employer you left many years ago? Sometimes these get wound up, with policies bought in the members' names.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Teasedale
    • By Teasedale 5th Dec 17, 11:30 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Teasedale
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:30 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:30 PM
    Yes, the problem is that they propose not to communicate further unless I can provide proof of identity, or at least of residence, and the policy number. Just wondered if anyone here knows this territory.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 6th Dec 17, 11:12 AM
    • 14,177 Posts
    • 76,267 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:12 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:12 AM
    Yes, the problem is that they propose not to communicate further unless I can provide proof of identity, or at least of residence, and the policy number. Just wondered if anyone here knows this territory.
    Originally posted by Teasedale
    They are right to insist that you prove your identity and address, that's absolutely standard these days, but most insurers don't insist on the policy number.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 23,640 Posts
    • 13,772 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 12:49 PM
    unless I can provide proof of identity, or at least of residence,
    Provide these proofs and advise that you believe that you took out an endowment policy in 1966 when you were aged () and living at () and see what Pru have to say.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Dec 17, 1:12 PM
    • 21,309 Posts
    • 10,234 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:12 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 1:12 PM
    Was this?
    (proof of identity) OR (at least of residence AND the policy number)

Seems entirely reasonsable to protect YOUR information to me.
    Why do you have an issue with proving who you are?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,027Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter