Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anelson
    • By anelson 5th Dec 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    anelson
    Which to pay off first??
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:49 PM
    Which to pay off first?? 5th Dec 17 at 3:49 PM
    Hi

I currently have 2 credit cards, 1 with a 30 month 0% balance transfer term and the other with an 18 month 0% balance transfer term. My question which one should I focus on first and allocate the most money too each month?

Any advice would be gratefully received
    Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 14,390 Posts
    • 15,184 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    The one that expires first, unless there was a soaring chasm between the go to rates on each.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    In contrast to MSE I will always go for the one which can be paid off the quickest because the benefit seen in overall spending will be realised quicker. So if both cards were taken out at the same time the 18 month one.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 5th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    If you can be disciplined put the money in a high interest regular savings account each month and only pay off the credit card when the 0% period is about to run out. Of course, you will still have to pay the minimum payment on the cards but you could end up with some decent extra interest as the best regular savings accounts pay up to 5%.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 5th Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 3,633 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    What dates do their offers end?

What APR do they revert to when the promo rate ends?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

712Posts Today

4,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin