Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anne1234
    • By Anne1234 5th Dec 17, 2:51 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Anne1234
    Housing benefit "eligible rent" Question
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:51 PM
    Housing benefit "eligible rent" Question 5th Dec 17 at 2:51 PM
    Hi everyone

I just have a quick question as I'm confused... I might have to make a claim for universal credit in January which will include the housing element as I live in a room in a shared house.. however it's been a long time since I claimed anything and I read somewhere earlier that, if your accommodation includes the bills within the rent amount (which mine does) there will be a deduction from the housing benefit for the bills.

So, in my area LHA is 255 per month. My rent including bills is 450 per month, I plan to make up the shortfall out of the rest of the UC and a small amount from a few hundred savings I have. Based on this calculation how much approximately might be deducted for bills??

I'm really confused..
    Thanks
    A.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 4,880 Posts
    • 9,836 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    They will ask for a breakdown from your housing provider of what is rent and what is bills.

They will only pay the rent portion, up to £255 maximum.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Anne1234
    • By Anne1234 5th Dec 17, 3:40 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Anne1234
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:40 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:40 PM
    Does this apply if I rent from a private landlord? If so, does this mean they will contact my landlord?? :-/
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 4,880 Posts
    • 9,836 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    Does this apply if I rent from a private landlord? If so, does this mean they will contact my landlord?? :-/
    Originally posted by Anne1234
    Yes it applies to private lets

If you cannot provide them with a statement that shows what is bills and what is rent then they may contact your landlord for a breakdown. Does your tenancy not specify which amount is which?
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 5th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 10,902 Posts
    • 12,784 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    Yes it applies to private lets

If you cannot provide them with a statement that shows what is bills and what is rent then they may contact your landlord for a breakdown. Does your tenancy not specify which amount is which?
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    I don't believe this is correct. They cannot contact your landlord without your permission.

If you do not have a breakdown of what your rent covers (check your tenancy agreement) then I believe they have a formula for working out how much to deduct.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 5th Dec 17, 4:10 PM
    • 10,902 Posts
    • 12,784 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:10 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:10 PM
    In any case, the maximum amount they will pay is £255 per month so you are going to have to find the extra money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,147Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter