Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clairegarner1
    • By Clairegarner1 5th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Clairegarner1
    Quarry missed off a land search
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    Quarry missed off a land search 5th Dec 17 at 2:22 PM
    We have recently bought a new house. It now transpires within 200 metres of the property there is planning for a quarry, which was lodged at the time of conveyancing with the local authority. The builder bent our arm to use their solicitor (lesson learned!) and needless to say they say the searches came back negative. They state they only search the land in which the property stands. I am confused as the search on the house we were selling brought all manner of issues up. This is potentially disastrous for us and wonder where we stand to mitigate this.
Page 1
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 5th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    It will be interesting to read what others think but I'd be surprised if you had any options for comeback. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen advise not to use the builders solicitor. Couple that without checking planning portal yourself, or requesting more detailed searches and you're pretty much stuck I think. Not good!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 5th Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 24,085 Posts
    • 66,697 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    It’s not just the builder’s solicitor that would omit this. It’s absolutely standard for planning searches to only cover the land being purchased. They do also cover major development such as road or rail links, but not private developments.

On a wider area, it would be an additional request, and not one that people generally take up.

A quick, free google of the locality would bring up any major local planning issues.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    • 23,692 Posts
    • 89,665 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:25 PM
    We have recently bought a new house. It now transpires within 200 metres of the property there is planning for a quarry..... This is potentially disastrous for us and wonder where we stand to mitigate this.
    Originally posted by Clairegarner1
    What do you think will cause this to be 'disastrous?'

The local authority is clearly aware of both developments, so their planners cannot have expected a severe impact on the housing or any safety concerns. This is a new development, not something piecemeal, so it's unlikely heavy stone lorries will be routed through your street.

You cannot mitigate what was planned-for and in the public domain, nor for omitting to ask for searches beyond the plot, if that is what you wanted. You've also experienced no loss, and indeed, may never suffer one as a result of the quarry opening.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 05-12-2017 at 6:31 PM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin