Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Norman_E
    • By Norman_E 5th Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Norman_E
    Lidl Number Plate Machine
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:51 PM
    Lidl Number Plate Machine 5th Dec 17 at 1:51 PM
    My wife has received a parking charge notice from Athena ANPR ltd for parking at Lidl Crowborough branch. They have a machine there to input your car registration to get up to 90 minutes parking, otherwise its 10 minutes. She did put her number in and spent under 27 minutes in the car park, shopping in the Lidl store. She still got a charge notice. It is possible because the car number has both a letter O and a zero that she made a mistake. Should the registered keeper who is not my wife still use the standard appeal text, or set out the circumstances? My wife still has the Lidl receipt for her shop. Is it better to ignore Athena and e-mail Lidl instead?
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    • 4,734 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    The driver did not make a mistake.

The fonts used for number plates makes no distinction between an O and a 0.

Clearly there is a shortcoming in the machine, or the software associated with it, that generates this money-making scenario.

Complain to the CEO of LIDL.

Put CEO and LIDL into the forum search facility, choose Show Posts, and you will see many similar recent threads with an email address.

You also need to edit your post to remove any clues to the driver's identity.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 5th Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 8,272 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    My wife has received a parking charge notice from Athena ANPR ltd for parking at Lidl Crowborough branch. They have a machine there to input your car registration to get up to 90 minutes parking, otherwise its 10 minutes. She did put her number in and spent under 27 minutes in the car park, shopping in the Lidl store. She still got a charge notice. It is possible because the car number has both a letter O and a zero that she made a mistake. Should the registered keeper who is not my wife still use the standard appeal text, or set out the circumstances? My wife still has the Lidl receipt for her shop. Is it better to ignore Athena and e-mail Lidl instead?
    Originally posted by Norman_E
    Go to the top with this rubbish

Lidl CEO "Christian Haertnagel

Guess he has got fed up with complaints and now hides
    behind compliance@lidl.co.uk

Explain the scam to him
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Norman_E
    • By Norman_E 5th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Norman_E
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    Thank you both. I had already found the compliance@lidl.co.uk e-mail for Christian Härtnagel and drafted an e-mail, but am waiting for my wife to come home as it occurs to me that she was driving a family member's car and may have just put her own car number in to the machine!
    Since my wife does not share my surname I doubt she can be identified from anything I post.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 5th Dec 17, 2:58 PM
    • 16,895 Posts
    • 20,996 Thanks
    Redx
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:58 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:58 PM
    proof of patronage should be enough to get it cancelled, no matter which VRM was input into the machine

clearly the correct one should be used, so any shopper needs to be careful in future

a LIDL cancellation means you dont need to appeal it , but keep your eye on the date , just in case an appeal needs to be made
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 5th Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 2,865 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    Also, if Athena is a member of IPC (which I think it is), the "appeals branch" of which (IAS) has recently advised IPC members that mistakes like 0 instead of O or 1 instead of I should be "forgiven". Obviously this only applies if that was the mistake the driver made.

If your wife was driving a family member's car, then she wouldn't have received the correspondence about the charge, the family member would have (the demanding letters are sent to the registered keeper, whose details are obtained by Athena from the DVLA).
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
    • Norman_E
    • By Norman_E 7th Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Norman_E
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    Result!
    • 7th Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    The PCN was addressed to the registered keeper, and passed to my wife. I sent an e-mail to Lidl, and their reply says that they have contacted Athena and requested that the charge be cancelled. This confirms the excellent advice on here that if an unjustified PCN relates to a visit to a business where the driver was a customer, the best course of action is to deal first with the business.

I do not intend to contact Athena unless they send a further demand, in which case I will send them a copy of the e-mail from Lidl and a suggestion as to where they should put their PCN.
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 7th Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 2,865 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    great news
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 7th Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 2,865 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:43 PM
    keep the original receipt just in case, as well as the communication from Lidl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

1,534Users online

Martin's Twitter