Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mylo0811
    • By Mylo0811 5th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Mylo0811
    Failed Gas Safety Check, Advice Please.
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    Failed Gas Safety Check, Advice Please. 5th Dec 17 at 1:33 PM
    Not sure if this is in the correct section, so please move if it isn't

Currently a tenant privately renting a property.
    Had a gas engineer round today on behalf of the landlord for a Gas safety check.
    They've deemed the boiler unsafe due to three different things.
    I'm just wondering what my rights are, as we are now without hot water, and have no way of heating the home, or getting washed etc...
    This is a HUGE inconvenience and I'm unsure what to do whilst we wait. I need access to a shower at least!

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Page 2
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 5th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 3,883 Thanks
    IAmWales
    You don't seem to understand that what you deem to be reasonable, and what is reasonable in the given circumstances, may be very different things. Reasonable is finding a Gas Safe engineer, them assessing the work, sourcing the parts and then fitting them. Each of those stages depends on availability of parts and labour, and of course access to the property.

Reasonable may well be longer than a few days.

(Reading your update, parts should be easy to source but there's a good amount of labour. Reasonableness will come down to engineer availability.)
    Last edited by IAmWales; 05-12-2017 at 2:51 PM.
    • Mylo0811
    • By Mylo0811 5th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mylo0811
    Unacceptable to you maybe but longer, as in a week of two, would still be within a reasonable timeframe as far as the law is concerned. To give you an idea I spent 6 weeks in winter without a working boiler because I couldn't physically get a gas safety engineer to carry out the work any faster and I live in North East Scotland, where is does actually get a bit nippy, in a building made from granite. I survived and so will you.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    You seem to have a bee in your bonnet. Get off your high horse, and learn to answer questions without the sarcy comments.
    I will survive, never said I wouldn't. I merely asked a question.
    If someone said a reasonable amount of time is so and so... Then fine, but that doesn't help. I'm not asking you if I'll survive the winter.
    • Mylo0811
    • By Mylo0811 5th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mylo0811
    You don't seem to understand that what you deem to be reasonable, and what is reasonable in the given circumstances, may be very different things. Reasonable is finding a Gas Safe engineer, them assessing the work, sourcing the parts and then fitting them. Each of those stages depends on availability of parts and labour, and of course access to the property.

Reasonable may well be longer than a few days.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Thanks, that's what I'm wondering. What is reasonable?
    So then my question is what are my rights? If I incur costs due to heating by other means, is it my problem, or does the landlord have to assist?
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 5th Dec 17, 2:51 PM
    • 9,041 Posts
    • 59,557 Thanks
    LEJC
    The situation you are in is unfortunate but not uncommon.

The check was presumably the annual inspection and quite rightly if faults were identified they now need to be rectified.

No doubt this will be as big a shock to the LL as it was you,and hopefully they have by now had a conversation with the gas engineer and are planning the way forward.

Please speak to to your LL maybe this evening or tomorrow in a polite and non confrontational manner either this evening or tomorrow to put yourself in the picture.

Hopefully you will be without heating and the use of the boiler for a minimal time,but you must remember that this time of year it is busy and a LL has no more a magic wand than yourself....even a breakdown cover is unlikely to prove any quicker at resolving your situation.

What the LL must do is fix the boiler in a timely manner and that may be deemed reasonable if the fix takes 7-10 days so you need to prepare for being without for that length of time if necessary.....

Whilst you may incur additional heating costs you can indeed see if the LL is prepared to contribute towards those in the short term as a fix,however you could also be focusing on the fact that potentially a new boiler if that is what is required will save you money in the long term and be more efficient going forward.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 170 out 144 in ...£18.64 spend
    • Mylo0811
    • By Mylo0811 5th Dec 17, 2:53 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mylo0811
    The situation you are in is unfortunate but not uncommon.

The check was presumably the annual inspection and quite rightly if faults were identified they now need to be rectified.

No doubt this will be as big a shock to the LL as it was you,and hopefully they have by now had a conversation with the gas engineer and are planning the way forward.

Please speak to to your LL maybe this evening or tomorrow in a polite and non confrontational manner either this evening or tomorrow to put yourself in the picture.

Hopefully you will be without heating and the use of the boiler for a minimal time,but you must remember that this time of year it is busy and a LL has no more a magic wand than yourself....even a breakdown cover is unlikely to prove any quicker at resolving your situation.

What the LL must do is fix the boiler in a timely manner and that may be deemed reasonable if the fix takes 7-10 days so you need to prepare for being without for that length of time if necessary.....

Whilst you may incur additional heating costs you can indeed see if the LL is prepared to contribute towards those in the short term as a fix,however you could also be focusing on the fact that potentially a new boiler if that is what is required will save you money in the long term and be more efficient going forward.
    Originally posted by LEJC
    Thank you. That's answered a few questions. I appreciate the constructive response.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 5th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 15,655 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    You seem to have a bee in your bonnet. Get off your high horse, and learn to answer questions without the sarcy comments.
    I will survive, never said I wouldn't. I merely asked a question.
    If someone said a reasonable amount of time is so and so... Then fine, but that doesn't help. I'm not asking you if I'll survive the winter.
    Originally posted by Mylo0811
    You don't seem to grasp that what you find reasonable and what the law finds reasonable are not the same thing. I gave you a link explaining repairing obligations I suggest you read it whilst waiting to make contact with your landlord.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 5th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 3,883 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Thanks, that's what I'm wondering. What is reasonable?
    So then my question is what are my rights? If I incur costs due to heating by other means, is it my problem, or does the landlord have to assist?
    The concept of reasonableness has been explained to you several times. It is not a fixed time, it is the work being completed in a timely fashion.

If you incur costs over those that you would normally have (remember you won't be paying for gas whilst yours is off) then your landlord may reimburse these. A portable heater costs £20. Presumably you already have a kettle. Your costs are not going to be excessive.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 5th Dec 17, 2:57 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Slithery
    I understand it may take a few days. Longer, however is unacceptable.
    No, it really isn't.

It's the busiest time of year for heating engineers, a couple of weeks for an appointment is still acceptable.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 5th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 97,832 Thanks
    missprice

What constitutes a reasonable timeframe?

I can't get hold of the landlord at the minute.

16days and 8 hours?

I have said this before on a similar thread, I live with a gas Safe registered person, and even I would have to wait for various parts and a weekend for my boiler to be fixed.
    So say my boiler breaks now, I would have to wait til tonight, order parts tomorrow wait for parts til next week, probably, wait for weekend. That's 11/12 days.
    If that's me with the correct person already living here, what's the chances it will be any better for you?
    Reasonable is self described really. It takes as long as it takes.
    84 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 5th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,985 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    . A portable heater costs £20. Presumably you already have a kettle. Your costs are not going to be excessive.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    It's not the cost of the heater that is the problem, it is the cost of the electricity.

If it was the OP's own home, then it would be in his interests to fix or replace the boiler asap so save the electricity costs and the inconvenience of not having hot water.

The OP is at the mercy of the LL as if the LL does not have to pay for the electricity or suffer any inconvenience , he has no incentive to move quickly.

The OP has to be reasonable but so does the LL.

ETA: LLs should always have the safety checks done in summer so that if there is a problem it can be sorted asap. So this is basic mistake by the LL.
    Last edited by SuzieSue; 05-12-2017 at 3:56 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Dec 17, 4:03 PM
    • 42,346 Posts
    • 49,200 Thanks
    G_M
    OK. Lots of useful advice above (though obviously not all of it what you wanted to hear). But there are 4 things you need to do, now, today.

1) Write a formal letter, outlining the facts, unemotionally and politely. Send it to the landlord, by post, to the address provided on your tenancy agreement "for serving notices".
    Send a copy to any letting agent involved (even if the address is the same, send BOTH).
    OK - that's your formal action.

2) For speed, also act informally (not instead - as well). If you have the LL's home number/mobile, call him. Likewise a letting agent. Or use email etc.

3) You should be asking
    * what action the LL will take
    * when he expects action to follow
    * whether he'll provide temporary assistance eg electric heaters; installation of a shower (though that could take as long as the boiler!); an immersion heater; rent reducction if there's a considerable delay waiting for parts; etc
    * what access he/engineers need & when

4) read up/learn about your rights. see the links you've been given in this thread.

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new tenant protection (2015)
    Last edited by G_M; 05-12-2017 at 4:06 PM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Dec 17, 4:10 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    Personally, having just had a boiler breakdown, the LL has acted reasonably quickly.

However I am still out of pocket. I will be asking the LL to pick up the difference. Whilst I'm on shaky ground legally, they may agree and it be mutually convenient.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 5th Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    • 8,355 Posts
    • 28,078 Thanks
    fairy lights
    They've deemed your boiler unsafe but it still works doesn't it? I'd chance it and switch it on for a shower once a day.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    • 14,266 Posts
    • 38,660 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I can confirm this. I have boiler/central heating repair cover with British gas and they've always managed to squeeze me in the very next day. Not so this week!

Made an appointment on Sunday and the earliest they can get here is Thursday. In the meantime I've borrowed 4 heaters to stave off the chill. Your landlord won't be able to magic up a tradie to come look at the boiler any quicker than you could arrange it yourself I'm afraid.
    Originally posted by breaking_free
    That may depend on how things are in OP's particular area.

I had problems with my central heating Sunday and the plumber I have found here turned up the next day and sorted it.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    • 14,266 Posts
    • 38,660 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    They've deemed your boiler unsafe but it still works doesn't it? I'd chance it and switch it on for a shower once a day.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    I think that may not be the worlds best advice.

If it's deemed unsafe - then it may just "go off on one" at a time OP had done that. Two results from that = OP possibly injured. The second result being = OP would be unlikely to get any compensation for the injury (as they would have been deemed to have received appropriate warning not to use it).
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 6th Dec 17, 12:46 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Itís a problem with the flue. Itís been switched off for a reason. If flue gases are leaking back into the property there is a strong likelihood that the main gas will be carbon monoxide. As someone who works in the gas industry I would say your advice could result in loss of life. When the problem is this or a gas escape, isolating the boiler until it is repaired or replaced is the only safe option.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter