Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mylo0811
    • By Mylo0811 5th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Mylo0811
    Failed Gas Safety Check, Advice Please.
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    Failed Gas Safety Check, Advice Please. 5th Dec 17 at 1:33 PM
    Not sure if this is in the correct section, so please move if it isn't

Currently a tenant privately renting a property.
    Had a gas engineer round today on behalf of the landlord for a Gas safety check.
    They've deemed the boiler unsafe due to three different things.
    I'm just wondering what my rights are, as we are now without hot water, and have no way of heating the home, or getting washed etc...
    This is a HUGE inconvenience and I'm unsure what to do whilst we wait. I need access to a shower at least!

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Page 1
    • aneary
    • By aneary 5th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    aneary
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    Have you been given a timeline for it to be fixed/replaced?

Has the LL contacted someone to fix it?

Have you heard from the LL?
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 5th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    Can the LL supply a heater? Boil water? Wash by hand?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 5th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 4,562 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    Not sure if this is in the correct section, so please move if it isn't

Currently a tenant privately renting a property.
    Had a gas engineer round today on behalf of the landlord for a Gas safety check.
    They've deemed the boiler unsafe due to three different things.
    I'm just wondering what my rights are, as we are now without hot water, and have no way of heating the home, or getting washed etc...
    This is a HUGE inconvenience and I'm unsure what to do whilst we wait. I need access to a shower at least!

Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Originally posted by Mylo0811
    It will take the same length of time to sort out as it would if you owned the house and the boiler.

Ask the landord for something to heat the bits of the house that need to be heated (the ones you are using at a time.)

Boil the kettle for hot water for washing. If you have a hot water tank is there an immersion heater?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    • 14,204 Posts
    • 38,505 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    Have you established with the landlord/landlady what happens if the fuel bills increase temporarily because of this (with electric being a dearer fuel than gas)?
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • Typhoon2000
    • By Typhoon2000 5th Dec 17, 2:04 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    Typhoon2000
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:04 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:04 PM
    You can buy bucket immersion heaters for heating a big bucket of water that you can then use for washing.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 14,204 Posts
    • 38,505 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    You can buy bucket immersion heaters for heating a big bucket of water that you can then use for washing.
    Originally posted by Typhoon2000
    That's handy for the landlord/landlady to know
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
    • Mylo0811
    • By Mylo0811 5th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mylo0811
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    Have you been given a timeline for it to be fixed/replaced?

Has the LL contacted someone to fix it?

Have you heard from the LL?
    Originally posted by aneary
    No, not yet.
    I've not been able to get hold of the landlord yet, I am trying.

Can the LL supply a heater? Boil water? Wash by hand?
    Originally posted by m0bov
    Once I get in touch with him I'll ask him.

It will take the same length of time to sort out as it would if you owned the house and the boiler.

Ask the landord for something to heat the bits of the house that need to be heated (the ones you are using at a time.)

Boil the kettle for hot water for washing. If you have a hot water tank is there an immersion heater?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts

So a while then
    If I owned the house, I'd have emergency cover for something like this so it would be sorted ASAP.

No tank, all the hot water runs off the boiler.

Have you established with the landlord/landlady what happens if the fuel bills increase temporarily because of this (with electric being a dearer fuel than gas)?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    This is a question I'd like to ask, but not sure how to... It's definitely going to cost me more, off to buy an electric heater now, as it's bloody freezing!

Originally posted by Typhoon2000
    Didn't know this, how much is that likely to set me back though :/
    Could you fill the bath, then heat it with an immersion heater? Obviously removing it once it's hot.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 5th Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 6,259 Posts
    • 6,037 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I need access to a shower at least!
    Are there showers at work?
    Gym?
    Swimming pool?
    Friends?
    Relatives?
    Neighbours?
    Landlord's house?
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 5th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 11,196 Posts
    • 15,643 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    That's handy for the landlord/landlady to know
    Yet again you are confusing what you think should happen with the landlord's legal responsibilities.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Mylo0811
    • By Mylo0811 5th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mylo0811
    I am more wondering about my rights.
    If he fixes it pronto then great, but if I'm days or even weeks without hot water. That to me is not acceptable. I'm paying £850 a month, and the boiler has been installed incorrectly. Which means whoever did the safety certificate I currently have didn't do it properly.
    • Mylo0811
    • By Mylo0811 5th Dec 17, 2:23 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mylo0811
    Are there showers at work?
    Gym?
    Swimming pool?
    Friends?
    Relatives?
    Neighbours?
    Landlord's house?
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    I work for a well known german supermarket, so unfortunately not. Getting up some days at 03:30 for work, means every minute I can have in bed is crucial lol. And popping round to a friends at that time... well I'm unsure how long they'd remain friends.
    • n217970
    • By n217970 5th Dec 17, 2:25 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    n217970
    If I owned the house, I'd have emergency cover for something like this so it would be sorted ASAP.

Even with emergency cover it will either need a new part - that will be with you a week on Tuesday or it'll need a new boiler, and "we are booked up until January"
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 5th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • 11,196 Posts
    • 15,643 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    The landlord just has to carry out repairs with in a reasonable timeframe. Presumably you have a kettle OP and therefore access to hot water. If you are cold wear extra clothes and use blankets or buy yourself a convection heater for a few quid. They're handy to have in case of boiler failures in the future.

See G_M's guide to Repairing Obligations if you want to know your rights.

This is a busy time of year for gas safety engineers so it's hard cheese if you find being without a working boiler for more than a few days unacceptable.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 5th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 3,819 Thanks
    IAmWales
    I am more wondering about my rights.
    If he fixes it pronto then great, but if I'm days or even weeks without hot water. That to me is not acceptable. I'm paying £850 a month, and the boiler has been installed incorrectly. Which means whoever did the safety certificate I currently have didn't do it properly.
    Your rights are to a repair in a reasonable timeframe.

What are the identified issues?

What has the landlord said when you spoke to him about it?
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 5th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    • 16,119 Posts
    • 40,021 Thanks
    FBaby
    He's only been today and it sounds like it was a routine check, so give the LL a chance! Did the engineer tell you that you had to turn everything off immediately?

Are you dealing with the LL directly or an agency?
    • breaking_free
    • By breaking_free 5th Dec 17, 2:36 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    breaking_free

Even with emergency cover it will either need a new part - that will be with you a week on Tuesday or it'll need a new boiler, and "we are booked up until January"
    Originally posted by n217970
    I can confirm this. I have boiler/central heating repair cover with British gas and they've always managed to squeeze me in the very next day. Not so this week!

Made an appointment on Sunday and the earliest they can get here is Thursday. In the meantime I've borrowed 4 heaters to stave off the chill. Your landlord won't be able to magic up a tradie to come look at the boiler any quicker than you could arrange it yourself I'm afraid.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
    • Mylo0811
    • By Mylo0811 5th Dec 17, 2:40 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mylo0811
    The landlord just has to carry out repairs with in a reasonable timeframe. Presumably you have a kettle OP and therefore access to hot water. If you are cold wear extra clothes and use blankets or buy yourself a convection heater for a few quid. They're handy to have in case of boiler failures in the future.

See G_M's guide to Repairing Obligations if you want to know your rights.

This is a busy time of year for gas safety engineers so it's hard cheese if you find being without a working boiler for more than a few days unacceptable.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    Busy time of year or not, there's no hard cheese about it.
    It needs to be sorted in a reasonable time frame and I asked on here to establish what my rights are if it is not fixed within a reasonable time frame.
    I understand it may take a few days. Longer, however is unacceptable.

Originally posted by n217970
    Yeah, I'd imagine that'd be the general gist...

He's only been today and it sounds like it was a routine check, so give the LL a chance! Did the engineer tell you that you had to turn everything off immediately?

Are you dealing with the LL directly or an agency?
    Originally posted by FBaby
    I am given him a chance, I'm trying to find out my rights so I know what to do if it isn't repaired in a reasonable time frame.
    The engineer has shut off the boiler, and put a warning sticker on it.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 5th Dec 17, 2:45 PM
    • 11,196 Posts
    • 15,643 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Busy time of year or not, there's no hard cheese about it.
    It needs to be sorted in a reasonable time frame and I asked on here to establish what my rights are if it is not fixed within a reasonable time frame.
    I understand it may take a few days. Longer, however is unacceptable.
    Unacceptable to you maybe but longer, as in a week of two, would still be within a reasonable timeframe as far as the law is concerned. To give you an idea I spent 6 weeks in winter without a working boiler because I couldn't physically get a gas safety engineer to carry out the work any faster and I live in North East Scotland, where is does actually get a bit nippy, in a building made from granite. I survived and so will you.
    • Mylo0811
    • By Mylo0811 5th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mylo0811
    Your rights are to a repair in a reasonable timeframe.

What are the identified issues?

What has the landlord said when you spoke to him about it?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Three things...
    1 - The flue is angled the wrong way, it should be angled so condensed water runs back to boiler apparently. The way it is, is causing the flue to corrode and allowing gases to enter the property.

2 - The flue is installed too close to the eaves of the property.

3 - A pipe of some sort is half the diameter it should be.

What constitutes a reasonable timeframe?

I can't get hold of the landlord at the minute.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

1,456Users online

Martin's Twitter