Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 5th Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 731Posts
    • 142Thanks
    arenaman
    Argos 30 day return query
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    Argos 30 day return query 5th Dec 17 at 1:29 PM
    Hi,

I purchased a pop up Christmas tree for my mum about a week ago, she said she wanted one, now she doesn't so I was going to return it for a refund. I note on the receipt it says it's excluded from the 30 day guarantee.

I've just checked online and it doesn't say this anywhere on the product page

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7066315

In their T&Cs it says Some products are excluded from the Guarantee and are clearly marked by a † next to the product name.

I can't find that symbol in the listing anywhere

The only mention of the exclusion was on the receipt after I'd already purchased.

Have I missed it being mentioned anywhere? If not it seems a bit sneaky to not mention this at all and only have it printed on the receipt, have I got any way of getting a refund?

Thanks
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 5th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    • 5,550 Posts
    • 5,233 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    Realistically, they are probably saying this because they don't want it returned in 29 days (after Christmas) - when it won't resell.

Informally, an Argos shop manager told me that he would accept stuff back that wasn't in the 30 day guarantee, if it clearly hadn't been opened or used, and was in resalable condition. (So I guess their tills allow them to override the 'no refund' rule.)

So I'd try asking in a friendly way first, and if they are difficult, explain that you relied on the online product page (and you didn't get the receipt until after you purchased - so Argos cannot rely on that).
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 5th Dec 17, 2:06 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    arenaman
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:06 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:06 PM
    Thanks, I can understand why they would have an exclusion for christmas items but I'd have thought twice if I'd known I couldn't return it, in fact the bottom left of the product screen indicates it is included in the 30 day return guarantee. I'll try speaking to them first, just don't really want to take it back in only be turned away, it's a bit embarrassing
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 5th Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 4,180 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    Were you told before payment was taken? Usually when I have bought something that isn't included in the 30 days return, they say then before I pay.
    Hiraeth
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 5th Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    arenaman
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:30 PM
    Were you told before payment was taken? Usually when I have bought something that isn't included in the 30 days return, they say then before I pay.
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    No, they never said anything, they've said that to me before, the first I knew was when I got the receipt out today to take it back and noticed the wording.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 5th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    No, they never said anything, they've said that to me before, the first I knew was when I got the receipt out today to take it back and noticed the wording.
    Originally posted by arenaman
    It's the same with anything you buy it a shop, they're not legally obligated to take it back because you've changed your mind.
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 5th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    arenaman
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    It's the same with anything you buy it a shop, they're not legally obligated to take it back because you've changed your mind.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    I appreciate this however they have their own 30 day returns policy which people live by, they're supposed (by their own T&Cs) to clearly show items that are exempt but they haven't done so on this occasion unless I've missed something.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 5th Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    Well if you want a refund you have to take it back and ask.
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 5th Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    arenaman
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    Well if you want a refund you have to take it back and ask.
    Originally posted by BoGoF
    Yes thanks I'm going to, I'm just trying to find out where I stand should they refuse having failed to tell me it was exempt until after I bought it.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 5th Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    BoGoF
    Just point that out to them
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 5th Dec 17, 4:05 PM
    • 10,052 Posts
    • 8,122 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Yes thanks I'm going to, I'm just trying to find out where I stand should they refuse having failed to tell me it was exempt until after I bought it.
    Originally posted by arenaman
    Although Argos probably wouldn't argue the point, you have no proof that they failed to tell you.
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 5th Dec 17, 4:21 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    arenaman
    Although Argos probably wouldn't argue the point, you have no proof that they failed to tell you.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    True, I couldn't prove that the assistant didn't verbally tell me, I can only prove that the website makes no mention of the exclusion
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    KeithP
    That is quite simply wrong.

If you mean the buyer has no statutory right to return goods bought in a shop because you have changed your mind, then that is correct.

However, if a shop has a published returns policy, as Argos has, then the consumer has a contractual right to return goods in line with the terms of that policy.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 5th Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt

If you mean the buyer has no statutory right to return goods bought in a shop because you have changed your mind, then that is correct.

However, if a shop has a published returns policy, as Argos has, then the consumer has a contractual right to return goods in line with the terms of that policy.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    So it wasn't wrong.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Dec 17, 7:54 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    KeithP
    So it wasn't wrong.
    A contractual right effectively places a legal obligation on the seller.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 5th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    And I'm sure they complied.

Cause he can't prove otherwise.
    • arenaman
    • By arenaman 6th Dec 17, 4:49 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    arenaman
    Well I got a refund after all, I got onto messenger chat with argos and was told to take it back to the store for the refund which I did without hassle, the question of whether it was or wasn't excluded was never mentioned in store. Thanks for the help.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 6th Dec 17, 5:12 PM
    • 18,651 Posts
    • 15,554 Thanks
    wealdroam

Just to clarify Warwick, KeithP is correct and you are mistaken.

I'm sorry you don't understand his further comment:
    Last edited by wealdroam; 06-12-2017 at 7:50 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

5,794Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin