Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 5th Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    • 3,816Posts
    • 4,728Thanks
    zeupater
    Energy efficiency discussion - How low could your bills go?
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:28 PM
    Energy efficiency discussion - How low could your bills go? 5th Dec 17 at 1:28 PM
    Hi All

Okay, we're into another winter & talking about huge gas & electricity bills and the usual price hikes yet again, but have we all looked into what's possible & taken our own energy efficiency seriously?

The cumulative effect of improvements can provide massive reductions in costs of energy ... at the extreme end of efficiency curve there's this home - https://goo.gl/LH4ukT - which has recently reported total energy purchases (/needs) of just over 400kWh in total for the past 3 months, that's the whole of Autumn! ....

It'd be nice for us consumers and provide a little food for thought to the energy suppliers if we could all get anywhere close to that level of efficiency! ... anyone trying?

HTH
    Z
    Last edited by zeupater; 05-12-2017 at 1:31 PM.
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 5th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 3,188 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    In the end though he's probably spent significantly more than he'll ever save and he's still got to feed his woodburner, either by buying wood or going out scavenging.

I'm sure most of us can save a fair bit by a bit of sensible investment or even a few lifestyle changes but when it takes more than a reasonable amount of time to pay back, or never pays back at all it then becomes a purely academic exercise.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 5th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,728 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    In the end though he's probably spent significantly more than he'll ever save and he's still got to feed his woodburner, either by buying wood or going out scavenging.

I'm sure most of us can save a fair bit by a bit of sensible investment or even a few lifestyle changes but when it takes more than a reasonable amount of time to pay back, or never pays back at all it then becomes a purely academic exercise.
    Originally posted by matelodave
    Hi

Possibly, but that's likely why the energy used is stated in kWh, not electricity units, cubic metres of gas or logs be weight or cost ...

Interestingly, the use of both gas & logs over the entire 3 months is negligible and from the usage history on the charts it seems that the use over that period is typical, therefore, when compared to average energy use, the cost savings must be considerable as opposed to academic ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 5th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 6,342 Posts
    • 4,762 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    Pointless. At least one whole 12 month cycle and costings on energy saving spend both capital, service and for example logs. At least £1K for the stove and about £2.5 when installation and properly fitted, insulated and lined flue are taken into account. So I have to agree with the French sailor.

Sept to Feb inclusive at an average of about 10 hours per day. Kindling and firelighters, chimney swept once a year, hard or soft wood, mixed wood costs, fully seasoned even more ecpensive etc. Log requires a dedicated householder to make it work. I'm of the age of smog & soot and well remember them.
    Last edited by Richie-from-the-Boro; 05-12-2017 at 3:51 PM. Reason: Costs (guesstimates only)
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 5th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 3,188 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    If you read more of his blog you'll find that he's buying around 3 cu.m of logs a year. He's just has to build himself a new log store so although his gas & leccy bill may be peanuts he's still paying for wood etc.

What does he cook on or does he have all his meals out, likewise washing - does he go to the gym to have showers and take his stuff to the laundry (or round to his Mum)

His capital outlay on solar panels, both thermal and photovoltaic, insulation, air-air heatpump, wood burner and all the rest probably significantly outweighs all the savings he reckons he makes unless he lives to be around 110 to get a return on his investment.
    Last edited by matelodave; 05-12-2017 at 4:28 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 5th Dec 17, 4:44 PM
    • 6,342 Posts
    • 4,762 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:44 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:44 PM
    I've long assumed the investment, diligence, and general mess means the financial break even point is a no-no unless you have unfettered free access to a big copse, chain saw, splitter, haulage and dry storage.

I once lived in a rented cottage just outside 'allerton' with a wood fired Aga cooker / water and access to a potato barn next to the house. In my 20's ex pars and fit I still spent many summer hours cutting and storing one year for burning the next whole 12 month year. The comfort was 1st class and profitable but the wood was free.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 5th Dec 17, 5:15 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,728 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:15 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:15 PM
    If you read more of his blog you'll find that he's buying around 3 cu.m of logs a year. He's just has to build himself a new log store so although his gas & leccy bill may be peanuts he's still paying for wood etc.

What does he cook on or does he have all his meals out, likewise washing - does he go to the gym to have showers and take his stuff to the laundry (or round to his Mum)

His capital outlay on solar panels, both thermal and photovoltaic, insulation, air-air heatpump, wood burner and all the rest probably significantly outweighs all the savings he reckons he makes unless he lives to be around 110 to get a return on his investment.
    Originally posted by matelodave
    Hi

Elsewhere on the site (home page) it shows ongoing gas & electricity reduction over a 12 year period and mentions that improvements started well before the data started to be collected, looks like the start point was around 45000kWh for gas&leccy and according to the blog it's now below 2000kWh!

This probably means that any savings would spread over the long term, and the savings made have been high, so much of the investment may already have been returned. From the look of it, the amount of wood being used has reduced too, looks like by about half ....

HTH
    Z
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 6th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    My current combined fuel bill is about £720, of which around £320 is space heating.

Nothing I can do (other than unacceptable solutions such as not having heat at all) will reduce that to £0, so any savings will only be a proportion of that. The low hanging fruit has been picked, which only leaves options with 20+ year (If you only look at the energy savings) payback times, such as replacing the 20 year old double glazing with new A rated windows, which is something we're doing but because the existing ones are misting up and I'm sick of looking at them.

As impressive as this guy's figures are, The only way I could approach them is if I (and my family) made significant changes to our lifestyle, and for a few hundred quid a year, I just don't think that's worth it.

No one likes a big bill, but for the net positive effect it has on life, I think domestic energy is pretty cheap.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 6th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,728 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    My current combined fuel bill is about £720, of which around £320 is space heating.

Nothing I can do (other than unacceptable solutions such as not having heat at all) will reduce that to £0, so any savings will only be a proportion of that. The low hanging fruit has been picked, which only leaves options with 20+ year (If you only look at the energy savings) payback times, such as replacing the 20 year old double glazing with new A rated windows, which is something we're doing but because the existing ones are misting up and I'm sick of looking at them.

As impressive as this guy's figures are, The only way I could approach them is if I (and my family) made significant changes to our lifestyle, and for a few hundred quid a year, I just don't think that's worth it.

No one likes a big bill, but for the net positive effect it has on life, I think domestic energy is pretty cheap.
    Originally posted by Raxiel
    Hi

I see what you're saying ... £60/month for energy is pretty decent, far below the national household average, but on the G&E board you'd come across a number of people that would have bills much lower without making significant lifestyle changes ... for example, even if you have already increased loft insulation, you could always add more as it's cheap enough to still provide a payback within a reasonable timescale whilst also increasing comfort levels ...

HTH
    Z
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 6th Dec 17, 12:07 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 4,728 Thanks
    zeupater
    Hi

Elsewhere on the site (home page) it shows ongoing gas & electricity reduction over a 12 year period and mentions that improvements started well before the data started to be collected, looks like the start point was around 45000kWh for gas&leccy and according to the blog it's now below 2000kWh!

This probably means that any savings would spread over the long term, and the savings made have been high, so much of the investment may already have been returned. From the look of it, the amount of wood being used has reduced too, looks like by about half ....

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    Update on this with some numbers ...

I've just run the usage through an on-line comparison site ....

Looks like on a like for like basis across the 'big 6' suppliers, the bill would have been reduced from ~£2k/year to well under £300, so over £1700/year available to invest in further long-term improvements ...

HTH
    Z
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin