Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 5th Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    • 708Posts
    • 457Thanks
    David Aston
    Maybe Linux!
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    Maybe Linux! 5th Dec 17 at 12:48 PM
    While I am very taken with the appearance of Windows 7N, after happily using Vista for years, it does appear that I cannot buy a Key, to legitimize it. Activation required within 10 days.
    So, at the mo' on the Zorin distro page, considering downloading it.
    Can I ask you experts if a simple download will, first do absolutely nothing until I attempt to install it. And second, be able to install, while keeping 7 in the short term, and then my original Vista, still useable, if all else fails?
    Thanks for your comments
Page 3
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Dec 17, 7:46 PM
    • 7,779 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    esuhl
    Since you still have a few days before you need to activate Windows 7... Why not install VirtualBox, and install some GNU/Linux distros as virtual machines?

https://www.virtualbox.org/

This allows you to run GNU/Linux inside a window running on your Windows 7 system. The benefits of this are that it doesn't mess up your actual hardware settings, and you can try out a few different Linux distros to find one that works for you.

If anything "goes wrong" inside the Linux virtual machine, you can just close it, and you're back to your fully working Windows 7 machine.

Just a thought...
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 6th Dec 17, 7:50 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    Bless you, always
    appears to be 2.1 as in your example.
    Look, I have to rejoin my Missus downstairs, or blood will flow!
    I am so grateful for your help. If anything comes to mind for me to try tomorrow I will certainly get stuck in then.
    By the way, your Rufus seemed to be an earlier, and in fact more option laden version to the one I have downloaded. I did attempt to follow your instructions with the smaller Kingston flash drive. Same result as it happens.
    Cheers for now.
    Dave
    Originally posted by David Aston
    If it shows 2.1, the job is done.

Now it's just a matter of clean installing Windows 7 to your boot drive.

You can use a genuine DELL re-installation DVD, such as this one to effect the install. That DVD reads the signature now contained in your computer's firmware and shakes hands/auto-activates. Et voila! No need for you to enter a product key.

The media in your Inbox does exactly the same. But if you prefer to have a DVD that has DELL printed on it, buy the one in my link.
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 6th Dec 17, 8:00 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    Once you have installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, you can choose to 'upgrade' to Windows 10 Professional for free. Once Windows 10 Pro is activated, you can keep it or simply reinstall Windows 7 Professional from the media in your Inbox or the DELL DVD if you chose to purchase it.
    This way you have the option to run both Windows 7 and Windows 10.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 6th Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    Gosh always, if I was not prepared to lash out 7 quid, I would be a real cheapskate.
    Additionally, could you name a charity of your choice for me to make a thank you contribution?

Esuhl, thank you also for your ideas.
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 6th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    Gosh always, if I was not prepared to lash out 7 quid, I would be a real cheapskate.
    Additionally, could you name a charity of your choice for me to make a thank you contribution?

Esuhl, thank you also for your ideas.
    Actually. I was suggesting that you not bother to buy it, as the media in your PM inbox will do exactly the same job.
    As for charity, do something nice for the next person along, Spread the love.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 6th Dec 17, 9:10 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    Ah, that inbox, always,
    never think to look at it. Anyway, Dell disk purchased, and I will certainly apply myself to your inbox info over the next day or so, prior to it's arrival.
    The next person along will be my Missus again. Hopefully I manage to spread the love correctly in that department. I will have to ask her, as she currently sits watching Spurs in the Champions League downstairs.
    Beyond that, Shooting Star Hospice for kids will benefit from your kindness.
    Goodnight
    Dave
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 6th Dec 17, 9:37 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    Ah, that inbox, always,
    never think to look at it. Anyway, Dell disk purchased, and I will certainly apply myself to your inbox info over the next day or so, prior to it's arrival.
    The next person along will be my Missus again. Hopefully I manage to spread the love correctly in that department. I will have to ask her, as she currently sits watching Spurs in the Champions League downstairs.
    Beyond that, Shooting Star Hospice for kids will benefit from your kindness.
    Goodnight
    Dave
    If you bought the DVD, you don't need the PM inbox info.
    You just need to install the OS from Boot. It of course will erase everything on your boot drive, so make sure there is nothing on there you need to keep.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 6th Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 7,779 Posts
    • 5,580 Thanks
    esuhl
    You want to give Arch Linux a go!
    Originally posted by esuhl
    I do, but I never have the time.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Go on! Try it!

It's the only Linux distro that has ever made any sense to me.

It's not for everyone -- if you want to install Linux and have a fully working system that does everything automatically for you, you'll hate it.

If you don't mind starting with a minimalist blank canvas, and following the step-by-step instructions to build the Linux system of your dreams... and you have a little patience... and you see yourself as more of a "system administrator" of your PC than a mere "user", then it's the best thing ever!

You don't even need to be a Linux guru. So long as you understand the basics, you're walked through everything else as part of the installation process, so you have a pretty good idea how everything works. It's the only Linux distro I haven't repeatedly trashed by doing something stupid.

And it's so flexible. You only install the components you want, so you can customise it as you see fit. As a result, it's lightning fast and incredibly reliable.

I guess you have to be "a perfectionist" or to have some desire to understand how GNU/Linux works "under the bonnet", but... I like it, anyway.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 8th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    "You just need to install the OS from Boot. It of course will erase everything on your boot drive, so make sure there is nothing on there you need to keep."

Tech thicko that I sadly must remain, I may just be able to perceive that your quoted action would get rid of the Windows.old folder which I have assumed contains all previous Vista content? Hopefully, the back ups to the little HP Simplesave external, I have had connected up for a year or to, cover this anyway?
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 8th Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    "You just need to install the OS from Boot. It of course will erase everything on your boot drive, so make sure there is nothing on there you need to keep."

Tech thicko that I sadly must remain, I may just be able to perceive that your quoted action would get rid of the Windows.old folder which I have assumed contains all previous Vista content? Hopefully, the back ups to the little HP Simplesave external, I have had connected up for a year or to, cover this anyway?
    Yes, back up any bookmarks, favourites, documents etc that you wish to keep.
    If for some crazy reason you wish to go back to Vista, you can simply reinstall it with the appropriate DVD. You have the Dell XP, Vista & Windows 7 signatures for activation. If you upgrade to Windows 10, you will have the XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 10 signatures and have the ability to install and activate any and even the possibility to dual boot.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 8th Dec 17, 2:51 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    This morning, I went to the message box, and downloaded as per your instructions, Always. Coincidentally, the ebay purchase arrived mid morning. However, I assume that for either, I have to replicate your Rufus step? If I put a formatted flash drive in, Rufus shows only that in the device space. Or I can get a blank space with no apparent means to enter a target.
    I did hope that by leaving either disc in the reader, they would show as a target, but no. I have also got your download saved in my download folder, in hopes that Rufus would see that, but no.
    Obviously I am still not getting something!
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 8th Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    thorganby
    This morning, I went to the message box, and downloaded as per your instructions, Always. Coincidentally, the ebay purchase arrived mid morning. However, I assume that for either, I have to replicate your Rufus step? If I put a formatted flash drive in, Rufus shows only that in the device space. Or I can get a blank space with no apparent means to enter a target.
    I did hope that by leaving either disc in the reader, they would show as a target, but no. I have also got your download saved in my download folder, in hopes that Rufus would see that, but no.
    Obviously I am still not getting something!
    You previously used Rufus to update your machines BIOS but you no longer need to use Rufus because your Dell DVD has arrived.

The download that you have saved to your downloads folder is what you could have used to do the same thing and if you had done that, you would not have needed to purchase the Dell DVD - they both achieve the same result.

Assuming that you have saved anything that you need from your hard disk to another safe place, you need to put the Dell DVD into the drive and reboot the computer to start the Windows installation process.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 8th Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    Thank you thortganby and of course, always, and indeed eshul.
    The purchased Dell disc has done the job, after I opted for Custom install.
    I understand that thanks to the help I have received here, I could have saved on the seven quid. Its coppers guys, plus any dosh that goes to Shooting Star Chase.
    You lot have been life savers, or at least this ancient Dell, and it's equally ancient owner.
    • AlwaysHere
    • By AlwaysHere 8th Dec 17, 11:50 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    AlwaysHere
    Thank you thortganby and of course, always, and indeed eshul.
    The purchased Dell disc has done the job, after I opted for Custom install.
    I understand that thanks to the help I have received here, I could have saved on the seven quid. Its coppers guys, plus any dosh that goes to Shooting Star Chase.
    You lot have been life savers, or at least this ancient Dell, and it's equally ancient owner.
    You proved more competent than you suggested initially

The genuine Dell disc gives you the confidence of a genuine install.

Any missing Windows 7 64 bit Drivers can be found here

Windows key + R, paste in devmgmt.msc and hit Ok to get the the Device Manager to see what is missing.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 10th Dec 17, 4:06 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    David Aston
    What a compliment Always.
    Maybe I should set up on these forums alongside you experts.
    Hmm. Maybe not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

686Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin