Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Batman12
    • By Batman12 5th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Batman12
    2 ISP in the same house
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    2 ISP in the same house 5th Dec 17 at 12:26 PM
    I have two ISPs in my house BT and Virgin.

Virgin is my main one which I use for my devices. I have the BT one as itís cheaper then buying the BT sports package from Sky.

Iíve been having issues with my internet for the last two months with Virigin. Iíve been in contact with them trying to resolve it. They sent out three engineers and still having issues. Itís now With the complaints department as each advisor I speak to tells me a different story, the last engineer was rude towards me and Iíve just had enough.

Itís only till recently I remember I had the BT package could this be the issue? Having two ISP in the house? Itís only the last two months Iíve been having the issues and Iíve had both ISPs for a long time now.

Just wants to check as I donít really want to tel virgin Iíve also got BT in case they hold it against me if I want to cancel my plan without any pens.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 5th Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    well if you have 2 wifi routers, turn the BT one off.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    • 30,419 Posts
    • 19,230 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:39 PM
    No wouldnt have thought there would be an issue, try as suggested turn 1 router off and see if the other connection improves.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Batman12
    • By Batman12 5th Dec 17, 12:53 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Batman12
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:53 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:53 PM
    It’s just the virgin media hub that’s plugged in. The BT router not even been taken out of its box.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    • 9,955 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:28 PM
    BT Landline is totally separate to the VM cable .Try a total disconnect of BT from the BT master socket for a few days .

How do you watch the BT SKY sports if router is not connected .
    • Batman12
    • By Batman12 5th Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Batman12
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    I knew virgin used a different cable for their internet so I am correct in thinking that the BT package will have nothing to do with the fault.

Not sure how it works as Iím the account holder for virgin and another lad in my house is the BT account holder. But you get BT sports with at BT internet so we went for the cheapest deal and itís less then paying for Bt sport on sky. He must of given them our Sky details or something. Not sure.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    • 9,955 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    Depends upon what this unknown fault is .
    Still confused as to how BT Sport via BT Internet ?? without using BT router .
    • Batman12
    • By Batman12 5th Dec 17, 11:51 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Batman12
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:51 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:51 PM
    The bt Line is there installed but Iíve never took the modem out of the box.

The issue with my internet comes and goes. Times it does what itís meant to do. But every 10mins the internet would drop for a few seconds which makes it annoying for when Iím updating apps/games/streaming.

The best example I can give is this.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Rhys%20Tommo/video/39023702

The internet drops as it starts to lag and then the game catches up with the other player. During the time Iím unable to do anything.

I ran an Traceroute report and it tells me the different between my worst and best ping is huge and I have lost packets and ďunknown hostsĒ I understand it all but the uknown hosts but thatís causing the issue so Iím told. But everyone I mention this to virgin it get ignored. I spoken with an advisor today and I mention the last engineer who came over last was rude towards us and he didnít acknowledge it. Twice. He just went on about trying to fix my connection issue (another ďfixĒ that theyíve already told me to do and failed)
    Last edited by Batman12; 05-12-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    • jb66
    • By jb66 6th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    jb66
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    The BT broadband has nothing to do with the Virgin connection,
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4,596 Posts
    • 1,909 Thanks
    brewerdave
    The BT broadband has nothing to do with the Virgin connection,
    Originally posted by jb66
    ....and he doesn't appear to be using the BT connection....but as per earlier Qs -HOW is he getting BT Sport ? Can only be via Sky dish if not via internet.
    • Batman12
    • By Batman12 7th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Batman12
    Think it’s a sky dish. I honestly don’t know how it works but I get by sports cheaper so go me!

Anyone want to take a stab at a fix to my internet issue? Virgin can’t seem to
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

3,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin