Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ArthurS
    • By ArthurS 5th Dec 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ArthurS
    Student Loan Repayments
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:50 AM
    Student Loan Repayments 5th Dec 17 at 11:50 AM
    So I have a student loan (post-2013) and I work on commission, which means my pay varies every month. Which means there are some months when I pay back A LOT of my student loan, and other when I pay back very little.
    This doesn't seem fair.
    The way tax works with commission earners makes sense - you get taxed appropriately for that month but then get a rebate at the end of the financial year if you have (inevitably) paid to much or too little due to the inconsistency of pay. However comparing that to student loan, you don't get a rebate. Because it's a loan.
    So by the end of the year i may have only actually earned a small/average salary, but because I have had a few larger pay cheques, I have paid back more student loan than someone on the same salary (not on commission).

Is this right?

Can anything be done to control the amount of student loan I am actually paying?
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 5th Dec 17, 12:02 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:02 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:02 PM
    You can reclaim student loan overpayments.

Its wrong if it doesnt work out at 9% of earnings over £21,000, how much will you earn and how much student loan will you pay?
    Don't be angry!
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 5th Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    You'll pay off the loan quicker. Meaning you will be debt-free sooner than the other person.

Be happy that you are paying it off faster and carry on.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,921Posts Today

6,578Users online

Martin's Twitter