Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 5th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 3,054Posts
    • 5,724Thanks
    warehouse
    Sewage in garden, again, need advice to get Thames Water to do something
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    Sewage in garden, again, need advice to get Thames Water to do something 5th Dec 17 at 11:30 AM
    So for the 5th time since March the main sewer pipe, (which runs under our garage and down the garden), has blocked downstream. There is a manhole cover where the pipe changes direction and this is where the sewage comes out, the block is much further down. Luckily the garden slopes away from the house, and at the end of the garden is the grand Union Canal. Here's a lovely picture:

And another:

Once I mention the canal, Thames Water usually get someone out quite quickly and they eventually clear the blockage. They then attempt to clear up with a jet hose and a bottle of disinfectant which is a complete waste of time, nature does the best job.

So for 10 years we had the very odd problem, then bang, 5 times since March 17. I'm desperately trying to get Thames Water to take ownership and fix this permanently but they say the right things and then do nothing. Frustratingly they actually sent a guy with a CCTV camera on Saturday morning which would have been perfect because this issue was obviously starting about then, but didn't think to let us know so we were out!

So the camels back is now well and truly broken and I've had enough, (the wife is a childminder so having the garden out of action for a month at a time is not good), and have begun by leaving a post on their facebook page, (which amazingly has already seen a response from them). What I want to do is escalate in several directions until they have to take ownership and take this seriously, but how?
    Pants
Page 3
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 7th Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 5,724 Thanks
    warehouse
    Update:

So the Thames Water people spent all day here. They found the next manhole downstream and were able to find the issue. It was silt in the line. Now I thought silt was a fine substance, but apparently if not cleared and with hard water it turns extremely hard. They were bringing out bags of the stuff and it looked like a solid coal type substance. No wonder we were getting so many blockages.

Once cleaned they were able to get a camera up to confirm it was completely clear. That does appear to have fixed the issue. Why it took 7 lots of flooding and me kicking off to everyone I could possibly think of, (and suggested in this thread), is anyone's guess. A complete lack of communication between Thames Water and Lanes, (who clear the blockages), being my favorite guess. Thames have to report back to my MP with what they've done which is probably what started the big fix.

The garden is wrecked. I've had a company over sent by Lanes who have removed all the waste. They were very good. Thames have told me to get some gardeners over to get quotes for repairing all damage done.

They also tell me they'll be having a meeting this week to discuss why this happened, how to stop it happening again and how much they are willing to pay for the disruption, (not holding my breath on the last one).
    Pants
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 7th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    Now you can celebrate new year, not poo year!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,376Posts Today

8,008Users online

Martin's Twitter