Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 5th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 3,030Posts
    • 5,655Thanks
    warehouse
    Sewage in garden, again, need advice to get Thames Water to do something
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    Sewage in garden, again, need advice to get Thames Water to do something 5th Dec 17 at 11:30 AM
    So for the 5th time since March the main sewer pipe, (which runs under our garage and down the garden), has blocked downstream. There is a manhole cover where the pipe changes direction and this is where the sewage comes out, the block is much further down. Luckily the garden slopes away from the house, and at the end of the garden is the grand Union Canal. Here's a lovely picture:

And another:

Once I mention the canal, Thames Water usually get someone out quite quickly and they eventually clear the blockage. They then attempt to clear up with a jet hose and a bottle of disinfectant which is a complete waste of time, nature does the best job.

So for 10 years we had the very odd problem, then bang, 5 times since March 17. I'm desperately trying to get Thames Water to take ownership and fix this permanently but they say the right things and then do nothing. Frustratingly they actually sent a guy with a CCTV camera on Saturday morning which would have been perfect because this issue was obviously starting about then, but didn't think to let us know so we were out!

So the camels back is now well and truly broken and I've had enough, (the wife is a childminder so having the garden out of action for a month at a time is not good), and have begun by leaving a post on their facebook page, (which amazingly has already seen a response from them). What I want to do is escalate in several directions until they have to take ownership and take this seriously, but how?
    Pants
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 5th Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 24,053 Posts
    • 66,662 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    Yuck.

After that many times I would contact my local MP. They should put a rocket under them. Jetting it is clearly not the solution.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 5th Dec 17, 12:11 PM
    • 3,030 Posts
    • 5,655 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:11 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:11 PM
    Yuck.

After that many times I would contact my local MP. They should put a rocket under them. Jetting it is clearly not the solution.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Local MP is David Gauke. Now that's a good idea!
    Pants
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 5th Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 3,030 Posts
    • 5,655 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    Mr Gauke has email.
    Pants
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 5th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 24,053 Posts
    • 66,662 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    Couldn’t resist googling him. Mr Gauke has email and massive eyebrows!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • jrrowleyws
    • By jrrowleyws 5th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    jrrowleyws
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    Contact the environment agency and whoever looks after the canals these days.
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 5th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    Twopints
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    Contact the environment agency and whoever looks after the canals these days.
    Originally posted by jrrowleyws
    Canal and River Trust
    Not even wrong
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 5th Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    Suggested -

Registered letter to Thames Water CEO informing him you will hold him personally liable for illness/death in the family due to the sewage discharge, giving 10 working days to fully resolve

Tweet those pics to Thames Water twitter account

Registered letter to the Consumer Council for Water informing them that Thames Water are allowing an illegal discharge into a water way

Ring Environmental Health at Local Council

Ring Environment Agency incident hotline to inform them of illegal discharge into a water way

Lastly, next year plant tatties in that part of garden - should get a great crop.
    Last edited by Debbie Savard; 05-12-2017 at 5:56 PM.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 5th Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    [QUOTE=Debbie Savard;73518018]Suggested -

Registered letter to Thames Water CEO informing him you will hold him personally liable for illness/death in the family due to the sewage discharge, giving 10 working days to fully resolve

Registered letter to the Consumer Council for Water informing them that Thames Water are allowing an illegal discharge into a water way

Ring Environment Agency incident hotline to inform them of illegal discharge into a water way

Lastly, next year plant tatties in that part of garden - should get a great crop.[/QUOTE]

But do not eat them! our local water co. used to spray sewage onto the land but only on grass/crops eaten by livestock,they are not allowed to use human fetiliser on crops to be eaten by humans.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 23,677 Posts
    • 89,638 Thanks
    Davesnave
    My Dad had this sort of recurrent problem in the 1980s. It was always his inspection cover that was the one which 'blew.' He grew great raspberries, but he was pretty hacked-off with it.

Local councillor bods made lots of noises and so did the water authority, but nothing was done. He didn't have a convenient canal to pollute, just some marsh land behind his place.

I decided to sort the matter for him, so I bought one of those heavy, screw-down, airtight lids and concreted that onto his inspection chamber. It worked like a dream; before long, some 'important' person had raw sewage running down their garden, instead of it polluting Dad's.

A couple of 'events' later, the pinch point was miraculously identified, someone's garden dug up and the problem dealt-with properly.

Hopefully, you will get more joy than Dad, who didn't have Faceache, Tw@tter or sites like this one. However, if not, you know now how to pass the problem 'up the line!'
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 6th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 3,030 Posts
    • 5,655 Thanks
    warehouse
    My Dad had this sort of recurrent problem in the 1980s. It was always his inspection cover that was the one which 'blew.' He grew great raspberries, but he was pretty hacked-off with it.

Local councillor bods made lots of noises and so did the water authority, but nothing was done. He didn't have a convenient canal to pollute, just some marsh land behind his place.

I decided to sort the matter for him, so I bought one of those heavy, screw-down, airtight lids and concreted that onto his inspection chamber. It worked like a dream; before long, some 'important' person had raw sewage running down their garden, instead of it polluting Dad's.

A couple of 'events' later, the pinch point was miraculously identified, someone's garden dug up and the problem dealt-with properly.

Hopefully, you will get more joy than Dad, who didn't have Faceache, Tw@tter or sites like this one. However, if not, you know now how to pass the problem 'up the line!'
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Appreciate the reply Dave but it would move the issue to the next point up which is directly above my house. Glad your Dads was sorted eventually.
    Pants
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 6th Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    • 3,030 Posts
    • 5,655 Thanks
    warehouse
    Suggested -

Lastly, next year plant tatties in that part of garden - should get a great crop.
    Originally posted by Debbie Savard
    Thanks for taking time to reply. I'll be looking down all of those routes if this isn't completely resolved this week.

Since I posted on their Facebook page I've had several phone calls from their customer team asking to come over and visit. I'll let you know how it goes.

So yesterday at one point this was my street:

The lorries just kept getting bigger until the biggest one did the trick.

Thames Water then sent out a CCTV unit to inspect the sewer. Remember the manhole cover is 40m from the street and the blockage another 90m from that point.
    So they sent the unit with 30m of useable CCTV cable!

Utterly incompetent bunch.
    Pants
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter