Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jojo1974
    • By jojo1974 5th Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    • 46Posts
    • 194Thanks
    jojo1974
    Changing surname - complex
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    Changing surname - complex 5th Dec 17 at 11:03 AM
    I'm after some advice please.

It's quite complex

My husband passed away two years ago and I have kept his surname however I am now due to have a baby in March and as the baby has no connection to my late husband I have decided to return to my maiden name.

I have done some research and apparently evidence of his death certificate and our marriage certificate would usually be enough. However as I was divorced my name on my marriage certificate is that of my ex husband and no reference to my maiden name.

So, will me birth certificate and husbands death certificate be enough evidence or am I going to need to do an 'enrolled' deed poll? I think I need to do this before baby arrives so I can officially register her with my maiden surname.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 5th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    • 2,519 Posts
    • 2,701 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    When you register the birth you can choose any surname you like for the child.

Your surname will be recorded as being the name you "use or are known by" at the time of the birth. If you currently use your maiden or birth name then that is the name that will be recorded. You will be asked if you have ever used or been known by any other name, which you can explain to the registrar - those names don't have to be shown on the register.

You don't need a deed poll to change your name back - your name is what it always was/is and choosing to use a married name for a time doesn't change that.

Just let people who need to know (doctor, banks, dvla etc.) that you are now known as xxxx
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 05-12-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 5th Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 7,834 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:31 PM
    As Tony says, you can register your child with whatever name you like.

You can also call yourself whatever you like.

If you like, you can do a change of name deed. Normally this would just refer to the name you are changing from and to (e.g. Jane Smith to Jane Richards) but there';s no reason you cant also reference the previous name (e.g. Jane Smith (formerly known as Jane Williams) to Jane Richards)

What research have you been looking at? A lot of organisations (including the passport agency) will record a change of name without needing to see a formal deed, if you can show you are reverting to a previous name - the most common situation being when you are returning o a maiden name following divorce. You would need to contact the individual organisation to see what they would accept(and sometimes, for places like banks, it can be easier to close the account and then open a new one in the new (old!) name once you have some ID in that name.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 5th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 6,116 Thanks
    74jax
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    Just register baby in what ever surname you want. And put your surname down as your maiden name - it's your name?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 5th Dec 17, 6:53 PM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 54,331 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:53 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:53 PM
    Is this because when you are in hospital your baby is given the surname of the mother so that in the event of an emergency there is no confusion. If that's the case, just change your surname with your GP/midwife to avoid that.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • itzmee
    • By itzmee 5th Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    itzmee
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    My son didn't have either mine, or his dad's surname when we registered him! We asked the registrar who confirmed we could give whatever surname we wanted.

It's not as weird as it sounds, we gave ds his dad's birth surname - dad was adopted when his mum remarried, so had a different surname, but he always intended to change it back again.
    Last edited by itzmee; 05-12-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 5th Dec 17, 8:53 PM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:53 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:53 PM
    You should be able to crack the passport office without a deed poll. Once you have a new passport all the others - bank etc - will be easy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,042Posts Today

4,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin