Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 5th Dec 17, 10:37 AM
    • 571Posts
    • 201Thanks
    tonygold
    0 WOW
    I didn't realise this is an issue until just now.....
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:37 AM
    0 WOW
    I didn't realise this is an issue until just now..... 5th Dec 17 at 10:37 AM
    trying to buy a gift of perfume and send it to a colleague as a xmas gift who lives the other end of the country.

tried debenhams online as they advertise the perfume i wanted as a gift but after going thru all the stages of purchase the last button to press is the 'pay now' one.
    hold on, i'm thinking, i must have missed where you can type a few words to the recipient like 'merry xmas from xxx' but no there is no facility for this. called customer services in case i'm being thick but no, this is not something they can do!!
    so cancel the purchase and....

log onto the fragranceshop.co.uk web site. heavily advertising the xmas gift angle so go thru all the hoops of purchase here, even opting for gift wrapping in a giftbox and once again cannot find where to leave a message to recipient.

phone their helpline (hang on for 15 mins) to be told, sorry we don't offer that service, it's something we are considering.
    For a giftwrapped item at xmas?!!!
    either i'm being unreasonable or stupid, but wouldn't you think if you're offering to send a gift as a seller, there would be a way of letting the receiver know who has sent it?

or is it just me?
Page 1
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 5th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 40,276 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    trying to buy a gift of perfume and send it to a colleague as a xmas gift who lives the other end of the country.

tried debenhams online as they advertise the perfume i wanted as a gift but after going thru all the stages of purchase the last button to press is the 'pay now' one.
    hold on, i'm thinking, i must have missed where you can type a few words to the recipient like 'merry xmas from xxx' but no there is no facility for this. called customer services in case i'm being thick but no, this is not something they can do!!
    so cancel the purchase and....

log onto the fragranceshop.co.uk web site. heavily advertising the xmas gift angle so go thru all the hoops of purchase here, even opting for gift wrapping in a giftbox and once again cannot find where to leave a message to recipient.

phone their helpline (hang on for 15 mins) to be told, sorry we don't offer that service, it's something we are considering.
    For a giftwrapped item at xmas?!!!
    either i'm being unreasonable or stupid, but wouldn't you think if you're offering to send a gift as a seller, there would be a way of letting the receiver know who has sent it?

or is it just me?
    Originally posted by tonygold
    I would get it sent to me so I could wrap it and enclose a note or card personally and then send on to them.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 5th Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 12,264 Posts
    • 11,548 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:11 PM
    I would get it sent to me so I could wrap it and enclose a note or card personally and then send on to them.
    Originally posted by sarah1972

I'd imagine the OP was trying to reduce or cut out postage fees- having an item sent to the OP would mean one set of postage fees, sending it out to a friend would add a separate set of fees and that is without considering the items the Royal Mail will not deliver which on my last check did include perfumes.
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 5th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 6,386 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    I sent perfume last week. I told the woman n the counter set the post office and she stuck a label on the parcel which presumably denoted the contents as flammable.
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 5th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 571 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    tonygold
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    i get what you are saying sarah but it rather defeats the purpose of buying gifts online if when you send them you can't even add a note so that the person receiving them knows who sent it.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Dec 17, 8:45 AM
    • 18,582 Posts
    • 47,836 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:45 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 8:45 AM
    I'd imagine the OP was trying to reduce or cut out postage fees- having an item sent to the OP would mean one set of postage fees, sending it out to a friend would add a separate set of fees and that is without considering the items the Royal Mail will not deliver which on my last check did include perfumes.
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    Jenniewb is right.
    Royal Mail say they don't allow perfume to be posted - from their 'prohibited' list:
    Perfumes and aftershaves (including eau de parfum and eau de toilette and alcohol-free perfumes, but excluding non-flammable perfumed creams, gels, oils or lotions.)
    https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/prohibited-goods---personal-customers
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 8th Dec 17, 3:50 AM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 40,276 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 8th Dec 17, 3:50 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 3:50 AM
    i get what you are saying sarah but it rather defeats the purpose of buying gifts online if when you send them you can't even add a note so that the person receiving them knows who sent it.
    I get what you mean but I would rather add a personal touch rather than them just receive an unwrapped gift with a typed out card.

Each to their own though.

Does seem a missed opportunity by the retailers.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 8th Dec 17, 3:51 AM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 40,276 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 8th Dec 17, 3:51 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 3:51 AM
    I sent perfume last week. I told the woman n the counter set the post office and she stuck a label on the parcel which presumably denoted the contents as flammable.
    Originally posted by ERICS MUM

Same here and I sent aftershave yesterday and they just stuck the label on.
    • steveE2
    • By steveE2 8th Dec 17, 4:32 AM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    steveE2
    • 8th Dec 17, 4:32 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 4:32 AM
    Jenniewb is right.
    Royal Mail say they don't allow perfume to be posted - from their 'prohibited' list:

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/prohibited-goods---personal-customers
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    If you click "Perfumes & Aftershave" you'll see it can be sent in UK subject to restrictions
    International - Not allowed in the mail
    UK - Allowed in the mail, see restrictions and packaging guidelines below:
    Volume per item must not exceed 150ml.
    No more than four items in any one parcel.
    Must be sent in its original retail packaging, placed in strong outer packaging and cushioned to prevent breakage.
    An ID8000 label must be applied (see example ID8000 label).
    The sender's name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
    These items must be presented at a Post Office® counter.
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 8th Dec 17, 7:03 AM
    • 571 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    tonygold
    I get what you mean but I would rather add a personal touch rather than them just receive an unwrapped gift with a typed out card.

Each to their own though.

Does seem a missed opportunity by the retailers.
    It's not an unwrapped gift though. that's just the point. they offer a gift wrapping service as an 'extra'. so the item arrives in a gift box but with no way of adding a card or even a note to say who sent it.
    ideal foe valentine's day i suppose!!
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 8th Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 40,276 Thanks
    sarah1972
    It's not an unwrapped gift though. that's just the point. they offer a gift wrapping service as an 'extra'. so the item arrives in a gift box but with no way of adding a card or even a note to say who sent it.
    ideal foe valentine's day i suppose!!
    It does seem a bit silly gift wrapping but no option to put a note in it I must admit !
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 9th Dec 17, 3:30 AM
    • 12,264 Posts
    • 11,548 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I was wondering if a way around this would be to first buy a gift card, making sure to register the gift card to the address you want the gift to go to, then use that gift card to send a gift elsewhere- though no note would be attached it would be possible to send it elsewhere without paying for delivery twice (or finding a courier who will transport perfumes) You could try sending a card separately but bare in mind that all paperwork (receipts and so on) would likely arrive with the parcel.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 9th Dec 17, 3:47 AM
    • 12,709 Posts
    • 40,276 Thanks
    sarah1972
    [QUOTE=jenniewb;73537015(or finding a courier who will transport perfumes)[/QUOTE]

Royal Mail presuming its going to the UK
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin