Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 80howard
    • By 80howard 5th Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    80howard
    UK Window clean threatening court action
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    UK Window clean threatening court action 5th Dec 17 at 10:18 AM
    UK window clean are threatening to take me to court for unpaid bill even though I cancelled their services after their operative claimed to have cleaned the windows, despite them no t doing so (My mum was in all day). Unfortunately I did this in the first instance by telephone and I cannot remember when I did this (I am going to chase up previous bills to see if I can identify their number). They claim to have no record of the call. Their operative turned up again and did a very poor job, I emailed them clearly stating I wanted to cancel but they did not cancel the account. I emailed again and received a reply stashing a request had been made "to cancel the account".
    They have now sent a debt collectors letter to reclaim the outstanding amount and are threatening court action to reclaim if not paid.
    What are my rights in this matter?

Any help/advice gratefully received!
Page 1
    • 80howard
    • By 80howard 5th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    80howard
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    I have found several reviews on Facebook from people who seem to have the same issue with UK window clean. Funnily enough they don't seem to be operating their Facebook page anymore!
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 5th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    You simply respond in a letter or a formal email explaining that (1) their services had been cancelled, and (2) the services were not provided with reasonable care and skill as required by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, and that they are therefore not owed anything.

You don't need to do anything else.

If they want to issue a small claim against you, let them. You can defend the claim, and an independent judge would decide whether you owe the money or not.
    • 80howard
    • By 80howard 5th Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    80howard
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:13 PM
    I did that but didn't know the consumer rights act.
    They have asked me to provide date of the phone call. I'm not sure it's logged on my phone bill and I have recently changed phone providers and am not sure I can quickly get copies of my bill from my old provider - am going to try.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,023Posts Today

8,522Users online

Martin's Twitter