Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeff_chandler
    • By jeff_chandler 5th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 146Posts
    • 22Thanks
    jeff_chandler
    Aerials
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    Aerials 5th Dec 17 at 10:10 AM
    Hi all.

I have a loft conversion which my Son now occupies. He is complaining that his TV isn't getting a signal and asks me to re-locate the outside Aerial which currently affixed to the outside wall but only half way up. My Daughter gets a picture through it but unfortunately not my Son.

We have access to the original loft space but, would an Aerial receive a picture if placed there?
    Kind regards Jeff. #
    PS I find it strange in this digital age that an Aerial is required to pick up Freeview TV.
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    First of all how many TVs are fed from that antenna?

Secondly is there actually a TV antenna cable running to the loft conversion?

PS I find it strange in this digital age that an Aerial is required to pick up Freeview TV.
    How else is it supposed to receive a radio signal transmitted from your local TV transmitter? Modern digital TVs work just the same as the old analogue ones did - they receive signals on certain channels in the TV broadcast band for your area, decode it and display the picture. The only difference is that instead of it being an analogue signal transmitted the transmitter sends data which the Freeview TV decodes and one physical radio channel can carry multiple TV channels.
    • SeanDigiSave
    • By SeanDigiSave 5th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SeanDigiSave
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    Where do you live Jeff?
    • jeff_chandler
    • By jeff_chandler 5th Dec 17, 11:31 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    jeff_chandler
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:31 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:31 AM
    Thanks for the replies.

First of all there are two TVs running from the same Aerial which is currently outside just above a flat roof extension. My Daughters room is level with the Aerial but the other lead rises to the loft.

I do find it strange because his TV has been in working order until a few weeks ago.

We live in the Greater Manchester area with the Aerial pointing at Winter Hill which has one of the tallest masts in the Country.

Maybe there is a portable Aerial that could be placed beside the TV with a booster Signal?

Kind regards Jeff.
    • SeanDigiSave
    • By SeanDigiSave 5th Dec 17, 11:34 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    SeanDigiSave
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:34 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:34 AM
    I live in Stockport and had a new aerial fitted to my chimney about 12 months ago. It was only £40 ish I think. Might be worth just doing that if you can afford it. I've never found signal boosters etc to be that effective.
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 5th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    Insufficient data for meaningful answer
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    I do find it strange because his TV has been in working order until a few weeks ago.
    Originally posted by jeff_chandler
    That suggests to me that the location of the aerial isn't the issue and something else has changed. Simply moving the aerial is unlikely to help, although, if it's a dodgy connection the disruption to the cable might solve the problem temporarily or break it completely. It's possible something has happened to the aerial itself and it needs adjusting, fixing or replacing.

It's probably best to get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it, rather than fiddling, based on advice from amateurs like me on the internet.

Maybe there is a portable Aerial that could be placed beside the TV with a booster Signal?
    That's possible, if he has a reasonably good signal. My mother's telly runs fine off a portable aerial with a booster.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 5th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    Rodders53
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    I'd agree that it's most likely a connection issue. Check plugs sockets and cables. Swap any fly leads with other known good ones.

Also possible he's done a retune of the TV and it's found the 'wrong' transmitter at Moel-y-Parc... a manual tune should cure that. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/manual_retuning

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/set-top-aerials.html is worth a read (and has info on how to wire TV plugs etc.,.)

Do check his TV works OK on another know good TV aerial outlet. It's possible (albeit unlikely) it has developed a fault.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 5th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    For the trad terrestrial channels (BBC1,2,4, ITV1, C4, C5) the internet will suffice, e.g. via the NowTV box (or app)...
    https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-apps-are-available-on-my-now-tv-box
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • chiny
    • By chiny 6th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    chiny
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    It always amazes me how dire a TV aerial system can get before it packs up. Corroded-to-white connections in the aerial block, green copper connections, water down the coax cable, even rainwater coming out of the coax plug at the TV. A "40 years in the trade" mate of mine says he has been called to repair TVs with water inside the TV as well as installations where the TV aerial had fallen into the garden months/years before.

Boosters should be a last resort, with a proper working aerial better (probably cheaper in the short and long term). Multiple TVs on one aerial is a techie can of worms but a splitter might help.

No connection with this lot which may be over-geeky but possibly of help.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    wongataa
    For the trad terrestrial channels (BBC1,2,4, ITV1, C4, C5) the internet will suffice, e.g. via the NowTV box (or app)...
    https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-apps-are-available-on-my-now-tv-box
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Of course if you like watching the HD channels then it won't suffice as not all the main channel apps allow you to watch HD programming.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,997Posts Today

6,030Users online

Martin's Twitter