Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 5th Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 506Posts
    • 154Thanks
    Mchambers
    Applied for Birm Midshire 1.45% Internet Account
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    Applied for Birm Midshire 1.45% Internet Account 5th Dec 17 at 10:03 AM
    Nice and easy.
Page 1
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 5th Dec 17, 10:24 AM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 2,469 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:24 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:24 AM
    Do they do "instant" (not just faster) payments?
    • durhamviper
    • By durhamviper 5th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    durhamviper
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    Be prepared for a long wait until you can start using it. After a couple of weeks you'll get a letter asking you to send an initial payment by cheque. After posting this, it'll be another couple of weeks before they send you your username, and email a code to allow you to logon.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 5th Dec 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:12 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:12 AM
    Nice and easy.
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    But as already mentioned, it takes forever.
    I've had one of their accounts ages ago and when I apply for another they send a letter to use your existing log in details, which have been long forgotten.
    Then when contacted they promise to send out new log in information and the same letter arrives! Phone them again and receive £50 for the hassle. Then I give up and go to Bank of Cyprus U.K. instead.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 5th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Mchambers
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    But as already mentioned, it takes forever.
    I've had one of their accounts ages ago and when I apply for another they send a letter to use your existing log in details, which have been long forgotten.
    Then when contacted they promise to send out new log in information and the same letter arrives! Phone them again and receive £50 for the hassle. Then I give up and go to Bank of Cyprus U.K. instead.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    Thanks. I will complain in a few weeks and get £50.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 5th Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 38,002 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:14 PM
    Phone them again and receive £50 for the hassle. Then I give up and go to Bank of Cyprus U.K. instead.
    Oh, please don't encourage him to complain... again!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 5th Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 38,002 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    Received my welcome letter today to say the DD facility has been set up. Now wait for the letter requesting a cheque.
    No rush, I've got until some point in April after all (luckily!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 5th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:56 PM
    Originally posted by Katiehound

The thing is, I didn't actually complain and stressed that I was not looking for compo (honest). All I wanted was new details to be able to log in to the new account. Still waiting about a year later!
    The B of C account now pays 1.53% after they applied the full B o E 0.25% rise more or less immediately.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 5th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Mchambers
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:02 PM

The thing is, I didn't actually complain and stressed that I was not looking for compo (honest). All I wanted was new details to be able to log in to the new account. Still waiting about a year later!
    The B of C account now pays 1.53% after they applied the full B o E 0.25% rise more or less immediately.
    Thanks.....I say this as well as and when I raise my complaint. nice and easy for for £59.

Originally posted by Katiehound
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Mchambers; 05-12-2017 at 4:06 PM.
    • a&akay
    • By a&akay 5th Dec 17, 5:08 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    a&akay
    Do they do "instant" (not just faster) payments?
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    My payments in were not instant but certainly within 2 hours
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 5th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Account application accepted.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 5th Dec 17, 11:35 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    House Martin
    Be prepared for a long wait until you can start using it. After a couple of weeks you'll get a letter asking you to send an initial payment by cheque. After posting this, it'll be another couple of weeks before they send you your username, and email a code to allow you to logon.
    Originally posted by durhamviper
    Correct, I applied 25 days ago when the rate was 1.3 %, my second phone call to the call centre resulted in them saying they will put me on "emergency " to get the next letter requesting opening the account with a cheque. Still waiting for that 6 days later
    I was originally told it was a minimum of 10 working bank days to get the account open ready for a deposit
    • claire07
    • By claire07 6th Dec 17, 4:57 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    claire07
    Same here. I applied 2nd November originally then after much chasing for user name, etc., they said the opening cheque must have gone astray so sent another one 25th November. Still waiting as that has also not yet been cashed.

When I complained again last week I was told to be patient as they were busy processing cheques! In the last few weeks as I had a bond maturing I have opened Paragon and Charter easy access accounts with no problem. In a previous post I said I was hoping it would be open before 2018 but am now doubtful!

I just don't see why the original payment has to be by cheque and there's not much point having the best rate if after a month I've not been able to pay money in.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 6th Dec 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eschaton
    Eventually got internet access to my account last night - 28 days after opening.

Slow isn't the word.
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 6th Dec 17, 6:15 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    I applied on line on Monday morning, I received a notification this morning from Barclays that B M had set up a direct debit.

This seems very quick, I wonder if B M have got their act together, or am I being too optimistic?
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 6th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eschaton
    I applied on line on Monday morning, I received a notification this morning from Barclays that B M had set up a direct debit.

This seems very quick, I wonder if B M have got their act together, or am I being too optimistic?
    Originally posted by FOREVER21

Far too optimistic.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 6th Dec 17, 11:23 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Eventually got internet access to my account last night - 28 days after opening.

Slow isn't the word.
    Originally posted by eschaton
    Easy complaint and compensation. Can't wait (or can I ?)
    • claire07
    • By claire07 7th Dec 17, 3:20 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    claire07
    Hate to dent your optimism but setting up the Direct Debit's the easy part. I had that happen 5 weeks ago and still waiting for user name, cheque to be cashed or internet access details!
    • clivep
    • By clivep 7th Dec 17, 11:01 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    clivep
    I hope everybody's applications get sorted eventually...

The 1.45% has just been pulled.

It now pays tiered rates of interest - 0.2% AER variable on amounts under £1,000, 0.55% AER variable on £1,000 - £25,000 and 0.9% AER variable if you've £25,000+.

The new rates DO NOT apply to the 1.45% variable if you already have it and it remains at 1.45%.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 7th Dec 17, 11:50 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 6,141 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I hope everybody's applications get sorted eventually...

The 1.45% has just been pulled.
    Originally posted by clivep
    It still appears on the website and allows you to initiate the application process (which it wasn't doing for a while last weekend).
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,687Posts Today

6,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin