Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 5th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 11,202Posts
    • 15,655Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Lily Allen may be homeless for Christmas
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    Lily Allen may be homeless for Christmas 5th Dec 17 at 8:44 AM
    If only she had read G_M's Guide to Tenancies in England & Wales before letting her property. Ho ho ho.

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/lily-allen-complains-she-cant-move-wealthy-diplomats-out-her-london-flat-in-time-for-christmas-a3710286.html

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Dec 17, 8:46 AM
    • 61,011 Posts
    • 356,361 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:46 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:46 AM
    The sum total of people who "care" is one. Her.

Hoisted by her own petard....

Huge dose of cluelessness going on between those ears.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 5th Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    my heart bleeds for her.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 5th Dec 17, 9:06 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:06 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:06 AM
    That's a bit strange, I thought that if she had a spare house, that she wouldn't be using it to house refugees rather than renting it out for £££ to diplomats given her recent pronouncements. The term virtue signalling hypocrite springs to mind.
    • studentguy
    • By studentguy 5th Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    studentguy
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    Of course, if you dare care about refugees and try to raise awareness for them that means you must personally let refugees live in your house. What a ridiculous argument.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lily Allen as a person, and this tweet shows a complete lack of self awareness, but that was an unfair criticism from you.
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 5th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    Of course, if you dare care about refugees and try to raise awareness for them that means you must personally let refugees live in your house. What a ridiculous argument.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lily Allen as a person, and this tweet shows a complete lack of self awareness, but that was an unfair criticism from you.
    Originally posted by studentguy
    She was doing a bit more than "raising awareness", she was bleating on about how we should all take them into our homes etc, and stated that she would do so herself:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-37633937/lily-allen-i-would-take-in-a-refugee

Doesn't seem to have done it though.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Dec 17, 11:06 AM
    • 42,346 Posts
    • 49,200 Thanks
    G_M
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:06 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:06 AM
    She seems to be saying that the tenants have claimed diplomatic immunity (though the tenants say they are leaving anyway), so my guide would not have helped. I'm afraid I left diplomtic immunity out of it!

Come to think of it, does DI apply in civil cases? I assumed it was immunity from (criminal) prosecution. Anyone know?
    • franklee
    • By franklee 5th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 3,554 Posts
    • 3,764 Thanks
    franklee
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    She is going bout this publicity all wrong. She should take a hint from the Suzy Butler school of pathos and be pictured living in a tent preferably with cute children.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 5th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    She seems to be saying that the tenants have claimed diplomatic immunity (though the tenants say they are leaving anyway), so my guide would not have helped. I'm afraid I left diplomtic immunity out of it!

Come to think of it, does DI apply in civil cases? I assumed it was immunity from (criminal) prosecution. Anyone know?
    Originally posted by G_M
    Well the US diplomats owe loads in Congestion Charge and Parking Fines Boris says they should pay but the diplomats say they don't have to due to diplomatic immunity so it's a grey area.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 42,346 Posts
    • 49,200 Thanks
    G_M
    Hmmmm but congestion charge is a criminal matter isn't it (magistrates court)? Maybe I'm wrong.

But as you say, grey area.

lesson for all - never let your property to diplomats. Best amend my guide!
    • aneary
    • By aneary 5th Dec 17, 11:34 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    Hmmmm but congestion charge is a criminal matter isn't it (magistrates court)? Maybe I'm wrong.

But as you say, grey area.

lesson for all - never let your property to diplomats. Best amend my guide!
    Originally posted by G_M
    I think it's civil rather than criminal.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Dec 17, 11:34 AM
    • 61,011 Posts
    • 356,361 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Diplomatic immunity was intended to prevent Govt-employed foreigners from being arrested and imprisoned, beaten and tortured, in the case of fake arrests to further a Govt's personal aim.

It was never intended to be used/abused by them to break laws willy nilly.

I'd tighten it all up. It's not especially "relevant" in our country where, in the main, diplomats aren't rounded up at 3am en-masse, beaten and held in a damp hellhole for 10 years awaiting a fake trial on a fictional charge.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 5th Dec 17, 11:42 AM
    • 5,779 Posts
    • 28,298 Thanks
    bugslet

#

She did say that she would take in a child refugee. AFAIK, she never has done when it is possible to, preferring to rent her place out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-37633937/lily-allen-i-would-take-in-a-refugee

It comes over hypocritical and the use of the word homeless, again, how does that square with people who are genuinely homeless and have not hope of getting anywhere but a hostel.

She does set herself up for this sometimes.
    • studentguy
    • By studentguy 5th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    studentguy
    To be fair then in this case she's set herself up for this. I didn't realise she explicitly said she would take in refugees into her home.

It's just that I usually see people react to people standing up and raising awareness of refugees say "why don't you take them in to your house though" - as if the fact that someone doesn't want strangers living with them means they don't want to help refugees.
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 5th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 6,462 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Can't stand her personally, but I thought she had another house somewhere - the Cotswolds? - or did she sell that? I know where I'd rather spend Christmas......and it wouldn't be London

Just recalled that a neighbour said that Lily Allen's half-sister viewed their house earlier this year. If she'd purchased it, we could have had Lily staying across the lane for Christmas.....that would have been fun. Not!
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 5th Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    teneighty
    Can't stand her personally, but I thought she had another house somewhere - the Cotswolds? - or did she sell that? I know where I'd rather spend Christmas......and it wouldn't be London

Just recalled that a neighbour said that Lily Allen's half-sister viewed their house earlier this year. If she'd purchased it, we could have had Lily staying across the lane for Christmas.....that would have been fun. Not!
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    This one? http://www.cotswolds.info/famouspeople/lily-allen.shtml poor little Saint Lily.

I think she sold it recently so no doubt has a few spare £million in the bank.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 5th Dec 17, 1:10 PM
    • 5,779 Posts
    • 28,298 Thanks
    bugslet
    This one? http://www.cotswolds.info/famouspeople/lily-allen.shtml poor little Saint Lily.

I think she sold it recently so no doubt has a few spare £million in the bank.
    Originally posted by teneighty
    4.2 million, but she owed the tax man a bit. I suspect whatever she has left over will get her a nice rental, better than anything most of us could aspire to.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69

Actually yes. If you care that much and another person doesn't - and you take up the moral high ground, you need to back it up by your actions.

Talk is cheap...
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    Diplomatic immunity was intended to prevent Govt-employed foreigners from being arrested and imprisoned, beaten and tortured, in the case of fake arrests to further a Govt's personal aim.

It was never intended to be used/abused by them to break laws willy nilly.

I'd tighten it all up. It's not especially "relevant" in our country where, in the main, diplomats aren't rounded up at 3am en-masse, beaten and held in a damp hellhole for 10 years awaiting a fake trial on a fictional charge.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Actually that's strictly not quite true. The point was that diplomats would be immune from prosecution, period.

The whole point is that you can get someone on the willy nilly laws a lot more easily than the 'big' laws.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    To be fair then in this case she's set herself up for this. I didn't realise she explicitly said she would take in refugees into her home.

It's just that I usually see people react to people standing up and raising awareness of refugees say "why don't you take them in to your house though" - as if the fact that someone doesn't want strangers living with them means they don't want to help refugees.

It depends on what your stance is. Do you, as is common, call people racist when they don't agree with you?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter