Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 5th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 176Posts
    • 67Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Rail fares to rise by an average of 3.4% from January
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    MSE News: Rail fares to rise by an average of 3.4% from January 5th Dec 17 at 8:44 AM
    Passengers face the biggest hike in rail fares for five years with ticket costs set to rise by an average 3.4% next month...
    Read the full story:
    'Rail fares to rise by an average of 3.4% from January'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 11-12-2017 at 1:48 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Looby lou
    • By Looby lou 5th Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Looby lou
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    Hi, not only a rise in fares but just bought a ticket from Cross country where they charge £1 for the privilege of collecting my ticket at a self-service machine. The only free option is the electronic one.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    Hi, not only a rise in fares but just bought a ticket from Cross country where they charge £1 for the privilege of collecting my ticket at a self-service machine. The only free option is the electronic one.
    Originally posted by Looby lou
    Perhaps you should've bought from another vendor.
    Many make no charges.
    • duncansoton
    • By duncansoton 5th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    duncansoton
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    CrossCountry do NOT charge for collection from Ticket Vending Machines. Although I knew that to be the case I've just visited the website and gone through the ticket purchasing process to the point of confirmation and no charge was added.

The XC charges are as follows:

£1 for First Class post, £6 for next day delivery or £7.50 for international delivery. Download to phone and collection for machine are free services from their website.

Some booking websites, as highlighted above, do charge booking fees (Trainline is one of them), although never heard of a fee for collection from a machine. Those fees are taken by the booking website, not the train company.
    Last edited by duncansoton; 05-12-2017 at 1:14 PM. Reason: More info added
    • N20Y1D
    • By N20Y1D 5th Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 6,732 Thanks
    N20Y1D
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    The sooner Jeremy re-nationalises it the better
    TESCO EVERY LITTLE change to the t&cs HELPS
    • aj23
    • By aj23 5th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    aj23
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    All this digital only and charging for non-digital options is really getting me now. It's like companies who charge £3.50 if you pay by cheque, or basically any payment method bar direct debit. It's wrong on so many levels. They keep squeezing us more and more, up their prices and in turn their profits. They should absorb come costs instead of offloading onto their customers.
    • Looby lou
    • By Looby lou 5th Dec 17, 4:15 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Looby lou
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:15 PM
    CrossCountry do NOT charge for collection from Ticket Vending Machines. Although I knew that to be the case I've just visited the website and gone through the ticket purchasing process to the point of confirmation and no charge was added.

The XC charges are as follows:

£1 for First Class post, £6 for next day delivery or £7.50 for international delivery. Download to phone and collection for machine are free services from their website.

Some booking websites, as highlighted above, do charge booking fees (Trainline is one of them), although never heard of a fee for collection from a machine. Those fees are taken by the booking website, not the train company.
    Originally posted by duncansoton
    I don't really appreciate the tone of your reply, Cross Country would have charged me £1 to collect my ticket at self serve ticket machine, there's no reason for me to lie. I selected the same journey again and went through to checkout and it still displayed the self service machine option as costing £1, I did screenshot this, but as a new user I'm unable to post links.
    Last edited by Looby lou; 05-12-2017 at 4:29 PM. Reason: Providing aforementioned screenshot
    • Looby lou
    • By Looby lou 5th Dec 17, 4:15 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Looby lou
    Perhaps you should've bought from another vendor.
    Many make no charges.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Not all routes have a choice.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    Not all routes have a choice.
    I think they do.
    All train operating companies sell tickets on each other's trains.
    Can you please give an example of anything different?

Anyway, you post seems to have dragged this thread well off topic.
    Last edited by KeithP; 05-12-2017 at 5:16 PM.
    • Looby lou
    • By Looby lou 5th Dec 17, 5:24 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Looby lou
    I think they do.
    All train operating companies sell tickets on each other's trains.
    Can you please give an example of anything different?

Anyway, you post seems to have dragged this thread well off topic.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    My point was that some train services are now charging for a service that they previously did not charge for adding to the cost to the consumer. Also since "Anyway, you post seems to have dragged this thread well off topic.[/" why bother to reply?
    Last edited by Looby lou; 05-12-2017 at 5:26 PM.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 5th Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 3,506 Thanks
    Kite2010
    It isn't a new fee (been around a few years), when purchasing tickets valid only on XC, you have to pay to collect from a machine unless you select the e-ticket option.

To get around this charge, you need to add another ticket (which needs to be valid on other operators) to your basket before the advance ticket to bring up the free collection option.
    • Looby lou
    • By Looby lou 5th Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Looby lou
    It isn't a new fee (been around a few years), when purchasing tickets valid only on XC, you have to pay to collect from a machine unless you select the e-ticket option.

To get around this charge, you need to add another ticket (which needs to be valid on other operators) to your basket before the advance ticket to bring up the free collection option.
    Originally posted by Kite2010
    Appreciate your reply but the point I was trying to make and clearly from other responses failed, is that the rail companies increase the prices for the consumer by other means in addition to the annual unjustified fare increase. I was more than happy to use the e.ticket option but not everyone would have been.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 5th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 3,506 Thanks
    Kite2010
    Appreciate your reply but the point I was trying to make and clearly from other responses failed, is that the rail companies increase the prices for the consumer by other means in addition to the annual unjustified fare increase. I was more than happy to use the e.ticket option but not everyone would have been.
    Agreed, an easy way is increasing car park charges, either directly or removing the cheaper part-day options
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,588Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin