MSE News: Rail fares to rise by an average of 3.4% from January

Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418
Newshound!
Forumite
edited 11 December 2017 at 1:48PM in Public transport & cycling
Passengers face the biggest hike in rail fares for five years with ticket costs set to rise by an average 3.4% next month...
Read the full story:
'Rail fares to rise by an average of 3.4% from January'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• Hi, not only a rise in fares but just bought a ticket from Cross country where they charge £1 for the privilege of collecting my ticket at a self-service machine. The only free option is the electronic one.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,432
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Looby_lou wrote: »
    Hi, not only a rise in fares but just bought a ticket from Cross country where they charge £1 for the privilege of collecting my ticket at a self-service machine. The only free option is the electronic one.
    Perhaps you should've bought from another vendor.
    Many make no charges.
  • duncansoton
    duncansoton Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 1:14PM
    CrossCountry do NOT charge for collection from Ticket Vending Machines. Although I knew that to be the case I've just visited the website and gone through the ticket purchasing process to the point of confirmation and no charge was added.

The XC charges are as follows:

£1 for First Class post, £6 for next day delivery or £7.50 for international delivery. Download to phone and collection for machine are free services from their website.

Some booking websites, as highlighted above, do charge booking fees (Trainline is one of them), although never heard of a fee for collection from a machine. Those fees are taken by the booking website, not the train company.
  • N20Y1D
    N20Y1D Posts: 2,059
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The sooner Jeremy re-nationalises it the better
    TESCO EVERY LITTLE change to the t&cs HELPS
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi, not only a rise in fares but just bought a ticket from Cross country where they charge £1 for the privilege of collecting my ticket at a self-service machine. The only free option is the electronic one.

All this digital only and charging for non-digital options is really getting me now. It's like companies who charge £3.50 if you pay by cheque, or basically any payment method bar direct debit. It's wrong on so many levels. They keep squeezing us more and more, up their prices and in turn their profits. They should absorb come costs instead of offloading onto their customers.
  • Looby_lou_3
    Looby_lou_3 Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 4:29PM
    CrossCountry do NOT charge for collection from Ticket Vending Machines. Although I knew that to be the case I've just visited the website and gone through the ticket purchasing process to the point of confirmation and no charge was added.

The XC charges are as follows:

£1 for First Class post, £6 for next day delivery or £7.50 for international delivery. Download to phone and collection for machine are free services from their website.

Some booking websites, as highlighted above, do charge booking fees (Trainline is one of them), although never heard of a fee for collection from a machine. Those fees are taken by the booking website, not the train company.

I don't really appreciate the tone of your reply, Cross Country would have charged me £1 to collect my ticket at self serve ticket machine, there's no reason for me to lie. I selected the same journey again and went through to checkout and it still displayed the self service machine option as costing £1, I did screenshot this, but as a new user I'm unable to post links.
  • KeithP wrote: »
    Perhaps you should've bought from another vendor.
    Many make no charges.
    Not all routes have a choice.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,432
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 5:16PM
    Not all routes have a choice.
    I think they do.
    All train operating companies sell tickets on each other's trains.
    Can you please give an example of anything different?

Anyway, you post seems to have dragged this thread well off topic.
  • Looby_lou_3
    Looby_lou_3 Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 5:26PM
    KeithP wrote: »
    I think they do.
    All train operating companies sell tickets on each other's trains.
    Can you please give an example of anything different?

Anyway, you post seems to have dragged this thread well off topic.
    My point was that some train services are now charging for a service that they previously did not charge for adding to the cost to the consumer. Also since "Anyway, you post seems to have dragged this thread well off topic.[/" why bother to reply?
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite

It isn't a new fee (been around a few years), when purchasing tickets valid only on XC, you have to pay to collect from a machine unless you select the e-ticket option.

To get around this charge, you need to add another ticket (which needs to be valid on other operators) to your basket before the advance ticket to bring up the free collection option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure