Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlielab
    • By charlielab 5th Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    charlielab
    Currys Black Friday debacle...
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    Currys Black Friday debacle... 5th Dec 17 at 8:36 AM
    Excuse the long story, but I'm hoping someone has some advice for me here...

On Black Friday, I bought an XBox One S with two games for £169.99 from Currys website.

The email said to pick it up in store on Monday 29th November. When I went to pick it up that evening, the man in the store said my order had not arrived, had in fact been cancelled, and couldn't tell me why.

On Tuesday 30th, I called the helpline and was told that my order was not cancelled but merely delayed, and I would hear within 48 hours. I did not hear.

During this time I complained to Currys via their Twitter account but did not immediately hear back.
    On Thursday I called the helpline again and was told again that it was not cancelled, that they were waiting for one of the games to come back in stock and once that happened (either 4th/5th Dec, I was told), the product would be delivered to me.

About an hour after that, Currys contacted me on Twitter to say that they could not fulfil the order and it had indeed been cancelled. I also got an email from Currys to say that AT MY REQUEST the order had been cancelled (not true. I have never requested this).

About an hour after THAT, I got an email from Currys saying that my order had been delayed but was on its way and I would receive it Dec 8th.

By this time I am confused and annoyed. Currys still had my £169.99 as well.

Yesterday evening I hear from Currys via Twitter again and they say:
    "Hi sorry for the delay in response here, I've further looked into this and can confirm your order was cancelled. I'm really sorry this has happened this was due to an error on our side as we aren't able to fulfil orders due to stock levels. I would like to offer you a £15 payment voucher for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please let me know if you would like to accept this offer."

I'm pretty furious- not least because the products I ordered are still being advertised as available on their website, albeit at a much higher price (I took pictures this morning just in case). So clearly they're delivering products to other people, just not me. I got my refund through this morning. I do not feel £15 will cut it here- I've been really messed around. Do I have any legal recourse?
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 5th Dec 17, 8:39 AM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 5,886 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:39 AM
    None at all, accept the £15 goodwill gesture voucher and move on
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 5th Dec 17, 8:39 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Given the contract is not formed until the goods are dispatched coming out of the deal £15 up is more than fair.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 5th Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    You're £15 better off than you started, move on.
    Hiraeth
    • charlielab
    • By charlielab 5th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    charlielab
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    Surely it's not right that they can fail to fill my order but can fill identical, more lucrative offers at the exact same time?
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 5th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 5,886 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    Surely it's not right that they can fail to fill my order but can fill identical, more lucrative offers at the exact same time?
    Originally posted by charlielab
    No contract exists until they agree to it and dispatch the goods (based on their T&Cs) as the item was never dispatched they can choose whether or not to accept your offer to buy the items. In your case for whatever reason they have chosen not to go ahead with the order but to cancel it instead.

Usually with these sorts of deals they buy in a set amount at a lower price in order to offer it at a lower price. If they have now run out of those they will have to pay their suppliers more for the ones currently for sale and would likely lose money on the sale if they were to fulfil your order at the lower price.
    • charlielab
    • By charlielab 5th Dec 17, 9:10 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    charlielab
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:10 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:10 AM
    Thank you. This is the first time I have actually understood what might have happened in a way that doesn't fill me with white hot self-righteous rage. I'll take my £15 voucher!
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 5th Dec 17, 9:25 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    MataNui
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:25 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:25 AM
    Unfortunately this now seems to be the standard practice for almost all the big players online business sales. Advertise low prices, fulfill only a small number of orders at those prices then cancel the rest with some BS excuse about being out of stock and relist at a higher price.

Its sharp, its dishonest, its legal and its now the new norm in online sales.
    • RockersWAG
    • By RockersWAG 12th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RockersWAG
    • 12th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    • 12th Dec 17, 3:54 PM
    I had almost the exact same experience with the Currys PC World deal on a KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer.
    It was clearly an end of line product (as in the colour had been discontinued), as it was the only one of all the colours with such a big discount but even though I knew this would likely be the case, as the Currys website showed it has being in stock (and continued to show as in stock into the Saturday before the product disappeared completely from the Currys website), I was confident that Currys had enough stock in to fulfill my order.
    Currys must have known they would not get in any more stock in addition to their existing number, as this same colour of mixer was the only one with such a big discount with several other online retailers too.
    Call me a cynic but I find it highly suspicious that I had several emails over the 10-12 days after my order on Black Friday assuring me they would be sending my order as soon as they had it back in stock, only to wait until November (and the weekend banking limitations) were well and truly passed before issuing me with an automatic refund on 6th December because they 'couldn't fulfill' the order.
    I told the customer service operator I spoke to when I called to complain about how they had gone about it that I strongly suspected Currys was fully aware it would get no more stock than it already had, knowingly oversold the product online and then fobbed off the customers who bought with enough reassurances over the next few days that we wouldn't ask for our money back before December.
    That meant Currys could pocket the month-end interest on our cash while it sat in their bank until November was over, meaning they could profit despite the refund. Funnily enough, he became rather uncomfortable and told me he couldn't comment on the business side of Currys PC World!
    Shoddy and I would even say dishonest service from Currys PC World. I won't be buying from them again.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 12th Dec 17, 4:45 PM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 5,886 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    I had almost the exact same experience with the Currys PC World deal on a KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer.
    It was clearly an end of line product (as in the colour had been discontinued), as it was the only one of all the colours with such a big discount but even though I knew this would likely be the case, as the Currys website showed it has being in stock (and continued to show as in stock into the Saturday before the product disappeared completely from the Currys website), I was confident that Currys had enough stock in to fulfill my order.
    Currys must have known they would not get in any more stock in addition to their existing number, as this same colour of mixer was the only one with such a big discount with several other online retailers too.
    Call me a cynic but I find it highly suspicious that I had several emails over the 10-12 days after my order on Black Friday assuring me they would be sending my order as soon as they had it back in stock, only to wait until November (and the weekend banking limitations) were well and truly passed before issuing me with an automatic refund on 6th December because they 'couldn't fulfill' the order.
    I told the customer service operator I spoke to when I called to complain about how they had gone about it that I strongly suspected Currys was fully aware it would get no more stock than it already had, knowingly oversold the product online and then fobbed off the customers who bought with enough reassurances over the next few days that we wouldn't ask for our money back before December.
    That meant Currys could pocket the month-end interest on our cash while it sat in their bank until November was over, meaning they could profit despite the refund. Funnily enough, he became rather uncomfortable and told me he couldn't comment on the business side of Currys PC World!
    Shoddy and I would even say dishonest service from Currys PC World. I won't be buying from them again.
    Originally posted by RockersWAG
    Yes Iím sure they did it to keep the interest which would be less than £5 and chose to have to tie up a phone line and pay a member of staff to deal with it, plus any transaction processing fees they may have. Losing money is clearly the main objective in business.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 12th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Ganga
    Thank you. This is the first time I have actually understood what might have happened in a way that doesn't fill me with white hot self-righteous rage. I'll take my £15 voucher!
    Originally posted by charlielab
    Pleased is was not something serious then
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • RockersWAG
    • By RockersWAG 13th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RockersWAG
    Still not convinced I'm afraid...
    Yes Iím sure they did it to keep the interest which would be less than £5 and chose to have to tie up a phone line and pay a member of staff to deal with it, plus any transaction processing fees they may have. Losing money is clearly the main objective in business.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    Except I'm sure it wasn't just me and my '£5' they profited from. It's not difficult to set a limit on a website product to stop more being ordered once they're out of stock. I'm sure there were plenty of others who also handed over a few quid to Currys whether they wanted to or not, whether on this product like me or many others they did the same on.
    Why else allow over-ordering on a known end of line product when you could simply stop any more orders when your stock limit is reached? Even a simple Wordpress website lets you do that.
    End of line means just that - it's been discontinued so you can't get any more. And Currys knew that when they dropped it to almost half price for Black Friday, as all the other mixers in a different colour were just £50 off.
    I'm still put off Currys for life, either way. :-)
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 13th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 4,694 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Except I'm sure it wasn't just me and my '£5' they profited from. It's not difficult to set a limit on a website product to stop more being ordered once they're out of stock. I'm sure there were plenty of others who also handed over a few quid to Currys whether they wanted to or not, whether on this product like me or many others they did the same on.
    Why else allow over-ordering on a known end of line product when you could simply stop any more orders when your stock limit is reached? Even a simple Wordpress website lets you do that.
    End of line means just that - it's been discontinued so you can't get any more. And Currys knew that when they dropped it to almost half price for Black Friday, as all the other mixers in a different colour were just £50 off.
    I'm still put off Currys for life, either way. :-)
    I don tknow which one you bought but ill take a rough middle figure of £350. Your looking at about 1-2% interest rate if your lucky. Ill go to the extrem and say 2%. Assuming they had your money for a full month theyre looking at about £0.58 in interest. I dont know how many kitchenaid currys will sell as a result of the offer but if

10 products sold = £5.80
    100 products sold = £58.00
    1,000 products = £580.00
    10,000 products = £5800.00

Ill point out its pretty rare for businesses to sell something at a loss. Even on the good offers. It can and does happen but the majority of stuff gets sold above cost price. On that basis i would have to assume that currys where selling the on offer product at a profit (above cost). On something that costs ~£200+ the profit margin you would imagine (even on an offer item) would be more than £0.58. From that its fairly safe to assume that their is no business sense in not fulfilling the order in benefit of receiving interest. The publicity, complaints, customer handling, processing would reduce that 58p substantially too.

As someone who used to work in retail i can contest the accuracies of stock databases. I would regular be sent customer from other stores to be told we had several of an item in stock, all to often i would have to tell the customer we didnt. On the reverse i would always contact a store who was showing they had stock, firstly i knew our database only ever updated overnight and didnt work real time. Secondly its a business witha high turnover of goods. That inevitably leads to discrepancies in stock holdings. Things like theft, damages, returns, recalled batches, mislabeled batches most of which you dont realise until a stock take (unlikely to happen to be around the days youll order something) or until orders are placed and you no longer have any product to fulfil orders.

They might be trying to skim some money off customers. But i cant help but imagine that its an incredibly risky tactic for very little reward when they have a basic business model, which isnt really risky at all (sell something people want to buy at a price theyre willing to pay). It doesnt usually end well for companies who are found to be scamming their customers.

That in itself wouldnt put me off currys, in fact i would think it a decent gesture they gave me £15. Although if i took your stance i would find £15 worth of products to use the voucher on, my first port of call would be any 3rd part vouchers they sell (amazon) and then use that voucher to buy the goods you wanted, i think most places exclude voucher purchases using vouchers though and then never shop their again.
    Don't be angry!
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Dec 17, 11:45 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    takman
    The cost of them processing your order and refunding you plus any contact you had with customer services would cost them far more money than any interest they would get.

That's without even considering the "cost" of annoying customers who can then give them bad publicity and reduce the chance of them buying from them in the future.

But I'm sure the reason the customer service operator sounded "uncomfortable" was because they were trying not to laugh at the stupidly of your comments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

347Posts Today

2,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin