Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdviceSought
    • By AdviceSought 5th Dec 17, 8:24 AM
    • 179Posts
    • 17Thanks
    AdviceSought
    Help with travel costs to get back into work?
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:24 AM
    Help with travel costs to get back into work? 5th Dec 17 at 8:24 AM
    So, the DWP significantly cut my first UC payment due to my previous employer paying me the small amount I was owed for them after losing my job due to succumbing to depression again.

I've been offered a contract role which will last for about four weeks that I'm keen on, but it's a bit of a commute, and no public transport option available, so I'd need to drive.

However, the estimated cost of the journey is problematic initially, thanks to how little the DWP left me with.

I'm fearing I'm going to need to turn this down due to this.

I feel jinxed.

Does anyone know if the DWP can assist me here?
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Dec 17, 8:33 AM
    • 1,966 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:33 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:33 AM
    Could your new employer/agency give you an advance ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • AdviceSought
    • By AdviceSought 5th Dec 17, 8:38 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    AdviceSought
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:38 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:38 AM
    Could your new employer/agency give you an advance ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    I'm waiting to hear back on that, but it's sounding unlikely.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 5th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 12,785 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    If you cannot get help from your employer or family/friends then there is a possibility that you can receive help from the Flexible Support Fund. You need to contact your local job centre about this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-to-help-with-the-cost-of-transport/support-to-help-with-the-cost-of-transport
    • AdviceSought
    • By AdviceSought 5th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    AdviceSought
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    Unfortunately nobody I know can help me.

I phoned the DWP call centre and after a long time on hold was advised they can't advance me money for this.

The employer needed a very quick response, so I've had to decline.

The way I'm feeling now, I am feeling a relapse with my depression coming on as I really don't know what to do and am definitely now really worried about how things are going to pan out for me.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 5th Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 12,785 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    Unfortunately nobody I know can help me.

I phoned the DWP call centre and after a long time on hold was advised they can't advance me money for this.

The employer needed a very quick response, so I've had to decline.

The way I'm feeling now, I am feeling a relapse with my depression coming on as I really don't know what to do and am definitely now really worried about how things are going to pan out for me.
    Originally posted by AdviceSought
    I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so low.

I had a look at your previous posts and can see you are in a pickle financially.

I wonder if you were able to sort out your debts then this would take some stress away from you.

Would you doctor give you a fit note that you could give to the Job Centre to give you some breathing space to sort things out? You might also like to update your doctor on how you are feeling and see if they can give you any further help.

If you could concentrate on one thing at a time - your debts seem to be the highest priority - then you may find yourself more in a position to move forward with looking for a job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin