Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Is it time for another inane poll yet?

No

0% • 0 votes

Not just at the moment thanks

9.38% • 3 votes

Definitely not

6.25% • 2 votes

Can't we just disable polls please?

84.38% • 27 votes

You may not vote on this poll

32 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • msallen
    • By msallen 5th Dec 17, 8:20 AM
    • 595Posts
    • 574Thanks
    msallen
    Is it time for another inane poll yet?
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:20 AM
    Is it time for another inane poll yet? 5th Dec 17 at 8:20 AM
    Is it time for another inane poll yet?
Page 2
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Dec 17, 10:15 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Actually I think you'll find they are selling certain food past its 'best before' date, not its 'sell by ' date, which is completely different. Not to realise this is missing the fundamental point that 'best before' is meaningless for many foods. It merely encourages waste of perfectly good food. But this is all off-topic....
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    Actually not much difference between the two and we can also add use-by to the list. The Co-op is actually tapping into government proposals to scrap those EU requirements to make it all easier to understand because, they say, too much fresh food is being wasted.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/jun/16/food-waste-best-before-dates

However the Co-op seeks to sell these outdated products while other supermarkets give them away for free to the community. That's what makes the Co-op reprehensible.

Not off-topic at all. This thread is about polls and MSE posted a poll based on the Co-ops reprehensible actions.

The other effect of the Co-op's actions is that it makes the selling of out of date food respectable with the implication that out of date food is safe. So how soon will we be sold ham complete with maggots and mouldy bread without any right to complain and get a refund simply because we were told it was out of date!
    Last edited by Anthorn; 05-12-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Last paragraph added
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 6th Dec 17, 1:48 AM
    • 3,224 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Money saving perhaps but morally right? No. Personally, I would prefer food which is past its sell-by date to be given away for free to food banks. Selling food past it's sell-by date for 10p to anyone and everyone has to be wrong since it could be bought by those who can afford to pay more. The MSE inane poll supports that! But hey, whoever said that MSE is socially responsible? Shame on Eastern Co-op and everyone who supports them!
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    It can also be bought by those who can't afford full price, but don't qualify for food banks. Food banks limit how many times an individual can be helped ( I think it's three times at my local one).
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 6th Dec 17, 1:57 AM
    • 3,224 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Actually I think you'll find they are selling certain food past its 'best before' date, not its 'sell by ' date, which is completely different. Not to realise this is missing the fundamental point that 'best before' is meaningless for many foods. It merely encourages waste of perfectly good food. But this is all off-topic....
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    I may have mis-remembered, but 'sell by' is equally meaningless.

'Best before' is an indication of when the quality of long life products starts dropping noticeably.
    'Sell By' is an indicator for the shop's stock control.
    'Use by' is the only one of serious relevance to the consumer, and indicates when short life foods may start to go off.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 7th Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    An inane poll that's developed into a food fight.

That's about right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

3,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin