Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Is it time for another inane poll yet?

No

0% • 0 votes

Not just at the moment thanks

9.38% • 3 votes

Definitely not

6.25% • 2 votes

Can't we just disable polls please?

84.38% • 27 votes

You may not vote on this poll

32 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • msallen
    • By msallen 5th Dec 17, 8:20 AM
    • 595Posts
    • 574Thanks
    msallen
    Is it time for another inane poll yet?
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:20 AM
    Is it time for another inane poll yet? 5th Dec 17 at 8:20 AM
Page 1
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 5th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,908 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    They're mostly from newbies, sometimes as their first post, and I asked some time ago that there should be a restriction, as there is with posting links, in order that new posters need to have made a certain number of posts before they can post a poll. By that time, they should have learned how the forum works.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 18,688 Posts
    • 14,407 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    I've just posted on another thread to say that polls rarely add anything to a thread, but here's an example where it's a particularly useful addition!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 5th Dec 17, 12:56 PM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    badger09
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:56 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:56 PM
    They're mostly from newbies, sometimes as their first post, and I asked some time ago that there should be a restriction, as there is with posting links, in order that new posters need to have made a certain number of posts before they can post a poll. By that time, they should have learned how the forum works.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Oh dear Biggles

I think you're mistakenly crediting some of these poll starters with common sense and basic intelligence.
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • colsten
    • By colsten 5th Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    • 8,811 Posts
    • 7,497 Thanks
    colsten
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    As always, there is the button that hopefully all regulars know how to use. Mind you, perhaps we need a poll to establish whether people really do know the power of that button.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 5,889 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    Originally posted by msallen
    I'll get my butler to vote once my private jet has landed - I'd do it myself but dropped my phone in the jacuzzi somewhere over the mid-Atlantic....
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 5th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 3,902 Posts
    • 37,992 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    These inane polls seem to be breeding lately... obviously not enough on this board to keep the lack of brains engaged!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 5th Dec 17, 3:10 PM
    • 3,902 Posts
    • 37,992 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:10 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:10 PM
    As always, there is the button that hopefully all regulars know how to use. Mind you, perhaps we need a poll to establish whether people really do know the power of that button.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Well, I hate to admit it, but actually I don't know the power of that particular button!
    I don't need a poll (thanks all the same!) just a heads up...
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • badger09
    • By badger09 5th Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    badger09
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    Well, I hate to admit it, but actually I don't know the power of that particular button!
    I don't need a poll (thanks all the same!) just a heads up...
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    Basically, if enough of us press the button on a particular post, it gets deleted. If there are multiple posts by a newbie who is posting and I'm feeling community spirited, I'll go through all their other posts & mark them aswell.
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Dec 17, 3:42 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Unauthorised, self-appointed Forum Police aside, did you actually not mean "inane"and simply missed out the "s"? Let's not forget folks that MSE itself does polls too. What's good for the goose, etc. etc.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 5th Dec 17, 3:57 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    RG2015
    Unauthorised, self-appointed Forum Police aside, did you actually not mean "inane"and simply missed out the "s"? Let's not forget folks that MSE itself does polls too. What's good for the goose, etc. etc.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    inane

adjective
    lacking sense or meaning; silly.
    "don't badger people with inane questions"
    synonyms: silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed; childish, puerile, infantile, jejune, daft, dumb, dim, half-baked, gormless.

I think that just about covers some of the recent (non-MSE staff) polls.
    Last edited by RG2015; 05-12-2017 at 4:01 PM.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 5th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    msallen
    Thanks for fielding that RG2015. The poster you replied to is already on my ignore list for his prior inane ramblings so I'd never have seen his question had you not quoted it
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 5th Dec 17, 6:11 PM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,908 Thanks
    Biggles
    Oh dear Biggles

I think you're mistakenly crediting some of these poll starters with common sense and basic intelligence.
    Originally posted by badger09
    Only some of them, Badger.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Dec 17, 6:19 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    Anthorn
    inane

adjective
    lacking sense or meaning; silly.
    "don't badger people with inane questions"
    synonyms: silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed; childish, puerile, infantile, jejune, daft, dumb, dim, half-baked, gormless.

I think that just about covers some of the recent (non-MSE staff) polls.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    Ah so the current MSE poll, "Do you eat food past its ‘best before' date?" must not be inane LOL
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 5th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    RG2015
    Ah so the current MSE poll, "Do you eat food past its ‘best before' date?" must not be inane LOL
    Ha! That’s insane!

I get a nosebleed if I stray from the four banking boards. Now I know to give them a wide berth.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 5th Dec 17, 7:19 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 2,983 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Unauthorised, self-appointed Forum Police aside,
    We're authorised to push that button, otherwise it wouldn't be there. The forum software is good at hiding unathorised buttons.

Ha! That’s insane!

I get a nosebleed if I stray from the four banking boards. Now I know to give them a wide berth.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    Given that the co-op is now selling certain foods past their sell-by date, for just 10p, the poll does seem relevant to money-saving. I've not seen the actual poll, I don't stray far either.
    Last edited by Eco Miser; 05-12-2017 at 7:22 PM. Reason: self-merged two replies.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 5th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Mnd
    I admit it, I press the spam button by accident when I'm scrolling up
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 5th Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    RG2015
    Given that the co-op is now selling certain foods past their sell-by date, for just 10p, the poll does seem relevant to money-saving. I've not seen the actual poll, I don't stray far either.
    Originally posted by Eco Miser
    I agree, but there are many money saving boards that are not related to banking. And before anyone says there are more than four banking boards I was excluding those that weren’t relevant to me.
    Last edited by RG2015; 05-12-2017 at 7:39 PM.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Dec 17, 8:11 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Money saving perhaps but morally right? No. Personally, I would prefer food which is past its sell-by date to be given away for free to food banks. Selling food past it's sell-by date for 10p to anyone and everyone has to be wrong since it could be bought by those who can afford to pay more. The MSE inane poll supports that! But hey, whoever said that MSE is socially responsible? Shame on Eastern Co-op and everyone who supports them!
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 5th Dec 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 3,733 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Money saving perhaps but morally right? No. Personally, I would prefer food which is past its sell-by date to be given away for free to food banks. Selling food past it's sell-by date for 10p to anyone and everyone has to be wrong since it could be bought by those who can afford to pay more. The MSE inane poll supports that! But hey, whoever said that MSE is socially responsible? Shame on Eastern Co-op and everyone who supports them!
    Actually I think you'll find they are selling certain food past its 'best before' date, not its 'sell by ' date, which is completely different. Not to realise this is missing the fundamental point that 'best before' is meaningless for many foods. It merely encourages waste of perfectly good food. But this is all off-topic....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,062Posts Today

6,394Users online

Martin's Twitter