Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catoutthebag
    • By catoutthebag 5th Dec 17, 8:17 AM
    • 2,177Posts
    • 478Thanks
    catoutthebag
    0 WOW
    Oslo
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:17 AM
    0 WOW
    Oslo 5th Dec 17 at 8:17 AM
    I was thinking of a trip to Oslo in spring for a few days...is there lots to see? Can I get a good flavor of the fjords etc?
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 5th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    • 7,307 Posts
    • 9,052 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:38 AM
    A rather limited view of the fjords I'd suggest.

Take a cruise for those.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 5th Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    I suggest a quick look at an atlas, the fjords are on the west coast, you need to fly to Bergen or Tromso to see them. That is not to say Oslo isn't a great small city and you can take boat trips from there, just not to the fjords. You should also be aware that it is very expensive, a Big Mac is 100Kr which is around £9 and Oslo frequently ranks as the most expensive capital in Europe
    • dondo
    • By dondo 5th Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    dondo
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    We went to Oslo last year- lovely city but very expensive (as you may well know already).

We only ate out in a restaurant once due to the cost and the rest of the time we ate in cafes or got some food from deli type places.

Worth getting the Oslo card as it includes free public transport and free entrance to loads of museums. https://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/oslo-pass/

We particularly enjoyed the Viking Museum, the Kon Tiki museum and the Resistance museum.

Vigeland Sculpture Park is a must see too.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    For the Fjords do the Norway in a Nutshell tour from Bergen - Spring may be a bit too early.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 5th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    We did a road trip in Norway this summer, started and ended in Oslo, in a loop to bergen and back. If you don't want to drive oslo itself is a great city, it's on the water so you'll get the "feel" of Norway, But it's very expensive! We loved our last day in the city, it's quite cosmopolitan.

Bergen might be a better bet for the Fjords experience, it's a very pretty city, we had a fab Air b+b there. Again, stupidly expensive to eat out - we didn't drink the whole week either!
    • catoutthebag
    • By catoutthebag 5th Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    catoutthebag
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    I'm sure I read about The Oslo Fjords. So Bergen Best?
    • catoutthebag
    • By catoutthebag 5th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    catoutthebag
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    Not too fussed about eating, I go solo and not a foody so eat in cafes etc
    • dondo
    • By dondo 5th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    dondo
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    I'm sure I read about The Oslo Fjords. So Bergen Best?
    Originally posted by catoutthebag
    Maybe this?

https://www.fjordtours.com/things-to-do-in-norway/fjord-cruises-and-fjord-safari/fjord-cruise-in-oslo/
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 5th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 38,002 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Yes Oslo is situated on a fjord but if you really want to see the fiords with towering mountains and narrow channels then you need to be on the west coast.
    Best views from the water so consider a cruise. Hurtigruten is like a post ship- goes up the coast delivering / collecting goods and they cruise too so you would get to see lots of small ports.
    One date maybe to try to be there is May 17th- national day.
    Even if you are eating in cafes it will be ... expensive!

or have a visit to the capital!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • catoutthebag
    • By catoutthebag 8th Dec 17, 6:41 AM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    catoutthebag
    The Norway in a nutshell looks great. Could do couple nights in Oslo, do the 12 hour tour and do a night or two in Bergen. Guess would make sense flying into one airport and out the other
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

342Posts Today

2,332Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin