Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 17, 7:23 AM
    • 26,238Posts
    • 10,477Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Paypal linked to Ebay or password remembered?
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:23 AM
    Paypal linked to Ebay or password remembered? 5th Dec 17 at 7:23 AM
    How many of you have Paypal auto linked to Ebay or have your password stored when logging into paypal when purchasing?

Personally i do not store my paypal password, Ebay stays logged in but you cannot extract money from my account with that.

Paypal on the other hand can, I choose to login and type my password each time. The Paypal link your account page is annoying me now.

You get a choice to link now or maybe later. Why not NEVER EVER EVER?

How many of you have linked them or have their password remembered?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Page 1
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Dec 17, 7:35 AM
    • 7,045 Posts
    • 3,303 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:35 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:35 AM
    I had it linked by accident. Then one day I collected an expensive eBay purchase and paid in cash. Following day I bought a small eBay item on my phone then discovered eBay had kept the previous item in the cart (one cart can contain multiple seller items) and I had paid for it a 2nd time! Had to beg a quick refund from the 1st items seller. So it can be risky to connect PayPal to eBay because you don't get a chance to review your payment amount for the whole cart.

What's the easy way to disconnect it, without deregistering your card from PayPal?
    • qsk
    • By qsk 5th Dec 17, 9:44 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    qsk
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:44 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:44 AM
    You get a choice to link now or maybe later. Why not NEVER EVER EVER?
    How many of you have linked them or have their password remembered?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I entirely agree with you. With so many hacked eBay accounts, the linkage is just another security hole. I have to click "maybe later" every time - it is annoying.
    Another thing I'd like to mention is that no one should have the same password for eBay, Paypal and/or Paypal email.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 5th Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 3,833 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    I have most of my passwords saved on Chrome but would never for PayPal. I personally think its a bit too easy to log into PayPal. They should have at least a password or code that you only give certain characters from to stop someone stealing your password.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 26,238 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 5:01 PM
    Not just me then, im my mind its just the same as leaving your banking logged in 24/7.

You can get to my PC and buy tons of stuff on ebay using my account, but im not paying for it as well

Wonder if i could get anyone at paypal with a bit of common sense and ask them why there is a NOT EVER EVER button with the link or maybe later buttons.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• Art Vandelay
    • By Art Vandelay 5th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Art Vandelay
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    I have most of my passwords saved on Chrome but would never for PayPal. I personally think its a bit too easy to log into PayPal. They should have at least a password or code that you only give certain characters from to stop someone stealing your password.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    You can set up 2-step authentication with PayPal. So when you go to log in with your password in the traditional way, they will also send a text message to your phone with a security code. If you don't input this code within a few minutes, PayPal will not allow you in.

It's far from foolproof (if someone's been inclined to hack your account passwords, there's also non-expensive programs available that would also allow them to intercept your text messages) but it's a lot stronger than inputting a password alone. Lots of other companies, certainly gaming sites like Betfair, utilise the same technique, just have to set up your account preferences.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 5th Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 3,833 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    You can set up 2-step authentication with PayPal. So when you go to log in with your password in the traditional way, they will also send a text message to your phone with a security code. If you don't input this code within a few minutes, PayPal will not allow you in.

It's far from foolproof (if someone's been inclined to hack your account passwords, there's also non-expensive programs available that would also allow them to intercept your text messages) but it's a lot stronger than inputting a password alone. Lots of other companies, certainly gaming sites like Betfair, utilise the same technique, just have to set up your account preferences.
    Originally posted by Art Vandelay
    I didn't know that. How many people do? It should be standard not an opt in.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 26,238 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:36 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay

Hows does that work if you auto link your paypal to ebay, so you just click buy and its bought and paid for without needing to login to paypal?

• Art Vandelay
    • By Art Vandelay 5th Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Art Vandelay
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:57 PM
    Hows does that work if you auto link your paypal to ebay, so you just click buy and its bought and paid for without needing to login to paypal?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Not sure, I personally have never auto-linked my accounts.

I would assume though, that the password is the only bit that is auto-linked. So the code-via-sms message would still apply, if you wanted it. Just speculating though, I would recommend checking out the paypal rules & reg's.
    • kalsha
    • By kalsha 6th Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    kalsha
    I don't buy much from ebay - probably 2 or 3 items a year.
    I have just realised that last month when I bought something from ebay, I never had to sign into my paypal account. I distinctly remember having to sign into paypal having purchased from Ebay. When did all that change? Have I ticked a box unknowingly? Can someone please help me how to go about dis-linking Ebay and Paypal as I can't work out how to do it.
    Thanks.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 6th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    donnac2558
    I have two different email addresses, one is for eBay the other is Paypal, they have different passwords as well. Never ever linked them.

Then a third totally different one again for friends and family.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 6th Dec 17, 10:42 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 4,705 Thanks
    sillygoose
    I also agree, its an annoying screen, I don't link.

It joins the club with the Yahoo webmail page when using my phone that has a big button to install their app and teeny faint link below to just carry on. Never going to install it.

Amazon on the way through the check-out process when it throws up a big obvious continue button that will also sign you up for Prime, with a less obvious link, that you might pick to avoid the obvious trap, but that will also sign you up for Prime then there is a 3rd even fainter link on the other side the page to actually continue without signing up.

Facebook webpage on my phone that covers half the screen with a banner to install their app I have to close.. nope not happening.

Argos have obviously had their system re-written by the prat that did Booking.com. Your trying to look at the products but keep getting popups 'twenty people looked at this in the last hour' '14 people bought this in the last hour' blah blah.. lucky them! I-don't-care!

Topcashback and their stupid competition popups and 'you have a ad-blocker installed' yes I know.

Ebay keeps hiding stuff, once you get into a return process (As a buyer) it takes the item off your bought list and its a devil to find.

Not to mention the 'recently viewed' banners that tell everyone what you probably bought them..

Any site that pops up a feedback request or chat window within seconds of landing on it does indeed get feedback from me telling them how annoying and stupid it is and I will now shop elsewhere.

I have long had the suspicion that web developers only ever ask other web developers for opinions and never test on a cross section of public.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Dec 17, 8:55 AM
    • 26,238 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Just had a whinge at Amazon. Bought an echo on sale recently and whilst checking to see howto return a book that arrived damaged i stumbled across subscriptions to find i had been signed up for a 30 day trial of Amazon Music Unlimited and another one just called echo for another £3.99pm which didnt even have a cancel button.

If i had not bought the books and spotted that i wouldnt have known about them. Certainly no mention of it when setting up the echo.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,793Posts Today

7,891Users online

Martin's Twitter