Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ethardsdaisy92
    • By ethardsdaisy92 5th Dec 17, 6:22 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ethardsdaisy92
    I want to dye my hair by myself?
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:22 AM
    I want to dye my hair by myself? 5th Dec 17 at 6:22 AM
    Hello everyone. I have question. I want to dye my hair by myself from blond hair to black hair. Can I do that at home? Can you give some brand of quality dye? Thanks.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Dec 17, 6:28 AM
    • 31,947 Posts
    • 37,678 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:28 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:28 AM
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=branded+hair+dye+names&oq=branded+hair+dy &aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.13283j0j7&client=ms-android-motorola&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 5th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 12,263 Posts
    • 11,548 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:50 PM
    What are the problems you're having OP? It's just about applying a boxed colour to your hair, you can get these from supermarkets, Boots/Superdrug and the pound stores. You just follow the in-box instructions. What is holding you back?
    • Alisha2008
    • By Alisha2008 5th Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    Alisha2008
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:44 PM
    Depending on how long your hair is it can be quite tricky , I suggest you watch some youtube videos first. I have shoulder length hair and I've done it myself a couple of times, but it requires some practice!

You can also go to a hairdresser and have it done by an apprentice, this is not mucho more expensive than buying the dye in the supermarket, and the results are 100 times better!
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 5th Dec 17, 6:46 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:46 PM
    Hair
    • 5th Dec 17, 6:46 PM
    Honestly it's not rocket science. Dye,instructions,colour. Do a patch test first.
    My hairdressers will use your own dye for a charge.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 5th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    Be careful with such a drastic change. I did that once, my hair went blue and I had to go to the shop with a wig on and buy another colour. If you do it yourself it would be best to go through stages, gradually going darker each time. Look at the colour examples on the box, which will indicate what result you should finish up with. I know of no shop bought colour which will go from blonde to black.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 6th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 45,261 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 6th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    Home dyeing is easier if you have short to chin-length hair like me. I pour out half the dye and half the developer into a plastic bowl from a 50 ML of each pack.
    Then I reseal the unused products for next time. The 50 ML of mixed dye is just enough, with no mess or drips.
    When my hair was longer, I used the whole pack but it tended to drip everywhere unless I popped a disposable shower cap on during the development time.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 10th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Soph1988
    • 10th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    Just to advise really - hair just can't physically go from Blonde to Black in one sitting and remain that deep black colour your hoping for after a few washes. You'll likely find it will go a bit patchy as areas of your hair will pick up more of the colour than other parts. The initial dye will seem fine for a few days, but as you start to wash it it'll fade in areas.

You are far better going to a dark brown (no red - go for cool shades with no auburn). Then move to a darker brown / brown.

Or even better than all of this - go to a hair dresser!
    • sparklesmash
    • By sparklesmash 11th Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sparklesmash
    • 11th Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    Sallys
    • 11th Dec 17, 9:46 AM
    Do you have a Sallyís nearby you? If you go in the qualified hairdressers that work there can give you some great advice on what professional products to use including the developer. I dye my own hair from blonde to red and the results are much better when using professional products. With a box dye you just donít know what youíre going to get!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,720Posts Today

5,970Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin