Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aimee B
    • By Aimee B 5th Dec 17, 12:48 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aimee B
    Issues with BT. Any Adcice appreciated
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:48 AM
    Issues with BT. Any Adcice appreciated 5th Dec 17 at 12:48 AM
    Hey Guys!
    New to this and would appreciate any advice.
    We signed up for BT broadband in July this year. We've just moved into a new build flat and we're told that we only had copper wire connection. We pay for 7mb and all has been fine up until a month ago.

The connection just dropped, we are now receiving 0.7mb and cannot stream a thing. After hours upon hours on the phone and on live chats with advisors telling me that there is nothing wrong BT finally and begrudgingly may I add sent out a technition who confirmed that there is something wrong with our connection but after trying from 9.30-17.00 said they weren't able to fix it.

BT have got back to us and said the only way to fix this is to purchase fibrewire (they magically suddenly have fibrewire in our area) and pay an extra £30 on top of the £30 we are already paying. I may be wrong here but I am under the view that if they cannot provide is with a service then it's down to them to fix not down to us to pay more. We have tried to leave but there is a massive charge due to us being in a contract.

I am a first time homeowner and have never had to deal with sorting out my own internet before and frankly I am disgusted at the the way this has been dealt with.

So basically asking, is there anything we can do?
Page 1
    • Redzombii
    • By Redzombii 5th Dec 17, 12:59 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Redzombii
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:59 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:59 AM
    I donít know if this will help but we got an email yesterday saying that BT Broadband are increasing their prices from January and that we can leave the contract free of charge. Iíve done exactly that and moved to EE Fibre. Our contract with BT started in August so probably on the same T&Cs as yours. Check your email, or call them as if there is any price increase they allow you to leave. Hope itís helpful
    • boatman
    • By boatman 5th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    boatman
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    Complain

Use the link above.
    • Enceladus
    • By Enceladus 8th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Enceladus
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    Fibrewire? Where did you get that from?

There's FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) which uses the copper telephone line to deliver the broadband from a street cabinet to your flat. The street cabinet is in turn connected via fibre back to the exchange. The cabinet might actually be in your building somewhere, on the street outside or some distance away.

I think it's unlikely that they offered you FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) as this is a lot less common in private property.)

If the poor performance of your non-fibre broadband is down to a fault in the wiring between you and the exchange, as it sounds like it might be, then changing to a BT FTTC service from any provider might not fix the problem as the same copper wire pair is being used to deliver the final mile into your flat.

The existing fault needs to be fixed first.

The Openreach engineers have the wherewithal to trace your wire and troubleshoot the connections all the way from the master socket in your flat back to the exchange. So if it worked before they should be able to fix it. Demand that BT do so.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,478Posts Today

7,225Users online

Martin's Twitter