Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dobbiesloan
    • By dobbiesloan 4th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,483Posts
    • 2,541Thanks
    dobbiesloan
    Freeview Recorder
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    Freeview Recorder 4th Dec 17 at 11:19 PM
    Dumped Virgin Media. TV and Phone line. Now they want their Tivo box (that I did not know I was renting) back.
    Any recommendations for a cheap box to record freeview on?
    GONE ENGLAND
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Dec 17, 11:36 PM
    • 30,400 Posts
    • 19,220 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:36 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:36 PM
    Dumped Virgin Media. TV and Phone line. Now they want their Tivo box (that I did not know I was renting) back.
    Any recommendations for a cheap box to record freeview on?
    Originally posted by dobbiesloan
    A Humax box might be an option.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 5th Dec 17, 8:03 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:03 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:03 AM
    Check your TV - does it have a USB socket? If you plug a USB stick or external hard drive into it, it may give you basic Freeview recording.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 5th Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 8,133 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    Virgin never hid the fact TiVo was their kit! Any device stating Freeview Play will give you what you want - mines a Panasonic.
    • macman
    • By macman 5th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 41,422 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    macman
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    Unlike Sky, all the VM kit is leased, and must be returned at termination of the contract.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    Unlike Sky, all the VM kit is leased, and must be returned at termination of the contract.
    Originally posted by macman
    Actually Sky Q systems are exactly the same now, you may pay £199 for it but it has to go back.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 5th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 7,118 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    almillar
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    Anything that has Freeview Play, as above, but also YouView boxes (Humax or BT branded ones, not TalkTalk) will do a great job and can probably be had cheaper. Freeview Play and Youview give you the online catch-up stuff too.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 5th Dec 17, 11:26 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:26 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:26 AM
    I have two Youview boxes .One is from another address but works ok and IMV it records at better quality than the Humax recorder I have.
    I would think you would have to have a TalkTalk broadband catchup contract to get it to work with the catch-up Iplayer services but should work ok for basic recording.Talktalk have recently updated the system and improved it in many ways
    There are quite a few on Ebay now for very low prices
    • Susie Richards
    • By Susie Richards 5th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Susie Richards
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    Actually Sky Q systems are exactly the same now, you may pay £199 for it but it has to go back.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    How do you people getaway with selling Sky Q boxes on ebay, then?
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Dec 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Originally posted by Susie Richards
    you people
    I'm offended

I have no idea, I don't even know if they would work.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    • 8,620 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    People sell them before the owners remind them that a return is required,so they end up paying the owner more than they got on Ebay.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 5th Dec 17, 6:16 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    House Martin
    People sell them before the owners remind them that a return is required,so they end up paying the owner more than they got on Ebay.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Talktalk has definitely NOT requested the return of my late partners Youview recorder from Sept 2016 when the contract ended . I was the executor so I can vouch for the accuracy of that statement.
    Makes you wonder what Sky. Virgin Talktalk etc would want anyway with old second hand electronics which they will surely bin.Cheaper to let them go .My Mums old Sky plus box was also not requested to be returned when she died
    • boatman
    • By boatman 5th Dec 17, 6:22 PM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    boatman
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352053735173
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 5th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    wongataa
    Talktalk has definitely NOT requested the return of my late partners Youview recorder from Sept 2016 when the contract ended . I was the executor so I can vouch for the accuracy of that statement.
    Makes you wonder what Sky. Virgin Talktalk etc would want anyway with old second hand electronics which they will surely bin.Cheaper to let them go .My Mums old Sky plus box was also not requested to be returned when she died
    Originally posted by House Martin
    After your minimum term is up TalkTalk/BT Youview boxes become the property of the user. The question was about Sky Q boxes though, not Youview.
    • dobbiesloan
    • By dobbiesloan 5th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 2,541 Thanks
    dobbiesloan
    Virgin never hid the fact TiVo was their kit! Any device stating Freeview Play will give you what you want - mines a Panasonic.
    Originally posted by Buzby
    They defiantly never told me. I was with NTL before virgin took them over. It was when I haggled with them over a price increase they offered me the box at no extra charge. I knew that I was paying for the tv package witch would be no use to anyone if it did not go through a box.

I was on sky before that and when I stopped that I just threw the box away.
    GONE ENGLAND
    • HWW
    • By HWW 6th Dec 17, 8:45 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    HWW
    The topic is Freeview recorders - the BT/Humax youview's (T2100) are the best of the newer ones, secondhand, anyway - saw one recently in a charity shop for £5 with remote!

As has been pointed out, the Talktalk ones are pretty useless, & need lots of ventilation too, unless you live in a strong signal area - they can be OK then, but they only have a 320gb HDD, the BT/Humax ones, have 500GB.

The older T1000 BT Humax, can be obtained at a good price, but can be slow & prone to fail.
    But for someone on a tight budget, can be a good option.

In all cases, it is a good idea to update the software by connecting to a router - the later software, is more stable.
    Last edited by HWW; 06-12-2017 at 8:50 AM.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 6th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 7,118 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    almillar
    I would think you would have to have a TalkTalk broadband catchup contract to get it to work with the catch-up Iplayer services but should work ok for basic recording
    AFAIK, iPlayer etc will work just fine. You'll lose any premium channels you'd be subscribed to on TalkTalk or BT like BT Sport for example, but all the 'catch up' needs is 'internet'.

The comment you replied to was specific to the Sky Q boxes referred to above. It also applies to anyone selling a Virgin Media box - those remain the property of Sky/Virgin.
    Makes you wonder what Sky. Virgin Talktalk etc would want anyway with old second hand electronics which they will surely bin.Cheaper to let them go
    They don't necessarily want them, just don't want you making money out of them.

They defiantly never told me
    You probably signed a contract - it'll be in there somewhere, and it probably also goes back as far as NTL/Cabletel days too.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 6th Dec 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Originally posted by Susie Richards
    Same as VM TiVo's I suspect on Ebay.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 6th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    They defiantly never told me.
    Originally posted by dobbiesloan
    It has never been a secret and once they disconnect the cable feed externally it will be come a brick anyway.
    • dobbiesloan
    • By dobbiesloan 6th Dec 17, 11:12 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 2,541 Thanks
    dobbiesloan
    Thanks guys. went with boatman's suggestion https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352053735173
    waiting for it to arrive.
    GONE ENGLAND
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,103Posts Today

7,909Users online

Martin's Twitter