Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hampshire67
    • By hampshire67 4th Dec 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hampshire67
    Paying off my partners mortgage
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:40 PM
    Paying off my partners mortgage 4th Dec 17 at 10:40 PM
    My father died earlier this year and left me his property which i have sold.
    I plan to pay off the mortgage on our property that my husband has in his name, (as i was not employed when he took it out).
    My questions is that would this be treated as a gift to my husband and will we be stung for capital gains tax. We plan to put the house in both our names when we get the deeds.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 4th Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 6,281 Posts
    • 6,063 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    Surely it's a purchase by you of half of the property, rather than your husband coincidentally gifting you half of the house at the same time as you gift him the mortgage balance?

But in any event his principal residence is exempt from CGT, so I can't see a CGT liability being involved. You might have to pay SDLT.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,661Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin