Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lee0329
    • By Lee0329 4th Dec 17, 10:31 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lee0329
    Maximising mileage
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:31 PM
    Maximising mileage 4th Dec 17 at 10:31 PM
    Hi

I am now doing high mileage for work.

What’s the best way to earn money/rewards for buying fuel?

Thanks!!
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 17, 12:21 AM
    • 26,230 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:21 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:21 AM
    Get someone else to pay for it. Cashback cards?

I used to fill up on the Motorway, £1 MOTO voucher for every 100L of fuel, when your using 90L+ a day and a 400L+ fill it soon built up.

Easily earn to enough to buy food for 3 families at the services on our yearly trek to Cornwall.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 5th Dec 17, 9:41 AM
    • 23,997 Posts
    • 50,758 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:41 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:41 AM
    Hi

I am now doing high mileage for work.

What’s the best way to earn money/rewards for buying fuel?

Thanks!!
    Originally posted by Lee0329

Learn to drive more economically. Most people could improve their fuel consumption significantly by applying a few fairly simple rules. You'll probably save far more than faffing about with offers.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    As above. The differences in fuel consumption can be as much as 20% just by changing how you drive and no it doesn't mean driving slowly, in fact on the economical driving course I did you had to reduce the time it took you to do a set route at the start of the course in order to pass. Not only did you have to use less fuel but also do fewer gearchanges and do the route quicker.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 5th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 13,259 Posts
    • 17,477 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    I used to fill up on the Motorway, £1 MOTO voucher for every 100L of fuel, when your using 90L+ a day and a 400L+ fill it soon built up.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Unless somebody else is paying, or even if they are, paying £20-£25 extra for fuel on the motorway just to get a £1 voucher seems pretty poor value
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 5th Dec 17, 11:58 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:58 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 11:58 AM
    In the late 80's I had a company car and filled up at a local Esso that gave tokens for gifts, after three years the scheme ended and the best gift I could get with my tokens was a Braun alarm clock with motion sensor. Not long after I changed jobs and returned the car with 73,000 on the clock so it was a lot of tokens for an alarm clock (which still works)
    • reeac
    • By reeac 5th Dec 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    reeac
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:41 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:41 PM
    As above. The differences in fuel consumption can be as much as 20% just by changing how you drive and no it doesn't mean driving slowly, in fact on the economical driving course I did you had to reduce the time it took you to do a set route at the start of the course in order to pass. Not only did you have to use less fuel but also do fewer gearchanges and do the route quicker.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Interesting that, about fewer gear changes. How does that fit in with the current trend for 8 or more gear automatics when they used to get by with just 5?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Dec 17, 1:13 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:13 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:13 PM
    Interesting that, about fewer gear changes. How does that fit in with the current trend for 8 or more gear automatics when they used to get by with just 5?
    Originally posted by reeac
    You did the initial and final run in the same vehicle so that was the way it was measured. It is an indicator of you using planning and preparation to save fuel.

Take for example a roundabout. Approach it and timing your approach so you arrive at the give way line without having to stop and you do fewer gear changes, use less fuel and get round it much quicker than arriving at the give way or rear of vehicles waiting to join, coming to a stop and then navigating the roundabout from a standing start.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 5th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,118 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    By making sure you're in the right gear at the right time. Its not the changing gear that uses excess fuel, its being in the wrong gear.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 5th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 9,882 Posts
    • 7,362 Thanks
    GunJack
    It's not too long back autos were only 3 or 4-speed Parents had an early-70's vauxhall victor auto, that was certainly under 5.

edit - yes, just found the wiki page, it was only 3 forward gears
    Last edited by GunJack; 05-12-2017 at 2:52 PM.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • basill
    • By basill 5th Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    basill
    I buy most of my fuel at Morrisons and use their loyalty card for fuel and food shopping and always pay with a reward credit card, clearing the balance each month.

By far the biggest payback I have had was altering my driving style to be as smooth as possible avoiding hard braking and acceleration.

Some time ago now our work petrol allowance failed to keep up with rising prices. I stopped zooming about, lost a lot of stress and after a while got back in profit to the tune of 50-80 extra miles a tank.

I filled the tank to the brim each time, noted the mileage and did a small spreadsheet for a while to track my progress. Now I have a trip computer in the car I just keep the receipts and work out p/mlle
    Last edited by basill; 05-12-2017 at 3:34 PM.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 5th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    Use one of those apps to check cheapest fuel prices on your route and plan where you will stop. Saving just 2p a litre on ~90L a day saves you nearly £40 a month.

You can get points by using the Shell Loyalty card, although you will probably get better value if you use a cashback credit card, but check and see what gives you most back. Tesco Clubcard or Nectar card is also an option, they give cash back on fuel in the form of points.
    • jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 5th Dec 17, 4:33 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    For me, It has to be sticking to a supermarket(Tesco) Doing the shopping and fueling up at the same time, over a couple of months we get the clubcard points sent through the post.

Granted it's never going to be a week worth of fuel, but we do get roughly £10-£15 off either fuel or shopping. If that's used as fuel its upto 1 1/2 days worth of commuting fuel.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 5th Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 8,770 Posts
    • 13,391 Thanks
    worried jim
    In the late 80's I had a company car and filled up at a local Esso that gave tokens for gifts, after three years the scheme ended and the best gift I could get with my tokens was a Braun alarm clock with motion sensor. Not long after I changed jobs and returned the car with 73,000 on the clock so it was a lot of tokens for an alarm clock (which still works)
    Originally posted by barnaclebill
    Mine is still going strong after 30 years!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 17, 9:57 PM
    • 26,230 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Unless somebody else is paying, or even if they are, paying £20-£25 extra for fuel on the motorway just to get a £1 voucher seems pretty poor value
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom

I wasnt paying and the company was not paying motorway prices either.

The company bulk buy 100,000 litres at an agreed price and when we fill up it just comes out of that. So no extra cost to the company and vouchers for me.
    One of the drivers did manage to get some nectar points on his BP card, but he was told not to do that again.

Due to the price being agreed in advance nectar rewards were not allowed.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin