Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pikachu47
    • By Pikachu47 4th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Pikachu47
    Online contract cancellation
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    Online contract cancellation 4th Dec 17 at 10:05 PM
    A friend has a beer52 subscription that they use to get beer delivered to their house. They signed up through the website.
    They now want to cancel and they have had to ask me to do it as clicking on the cancellation link on the site brings up a popup telling you to phone a number to cancel. You can't cancel any other way.

My friend is deaf and can't therefore do this. I've done it for them now but surely Beer52 is breaking some kind of rule by not allowing cancellations by the same method the subscription was started.

Any ideas?
Page 1
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 4th Dec 17, 11:29 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    LABMAN
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:29 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:29 PM
    Their customer services are available via an online webchat 9-5.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 5th Dec 17, 7:14 AM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 5,865 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:14 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:14 AM
    There’s nothing to say that cancellation has to be by the same method as sign up, otherwise everyone who every signs up to something in a shop, would have to physically go back there to cancel.

Providing a phone number for cancellation is a perfectly standard proceadure, you can’t cancel digital tv packages any other way, most ohone contracts have to be cancelled by phone, and many more.

The info on how to cancel is made perfectly clear on their site, under the T&Cs that your friend has most likely ticked to say he has read, understood and agrees to. I would suggest if he can’t use the phone for such things he is more careful in the future about what he signs up for, reads what he is agreeing to and maybe even emails ahead to explain and see what the company suggests, then keep the response as proof for when he does cancel.
    • 85 East
    • By 85 East 5th Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    85 East
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    Is there a postal address given in the website? If so I would cancel in writing.

Most companies donít have an online cancellation system as they want to be able to try and talk you into staying, itís annoying but they are allowed to do it.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 30,399 Posts
    • 19,220 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    Try via online chat to cancel, no harm in trying is there ?

Could he not tell you the password and you phone up as him ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 5th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 2,946 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    If he is a BT customer he might find Text Relay useful. He types in his words and they are relayed to the other person by an assistant .

https://btplc.com/inclusion/HelpAndSupport/DocumentsandDownloads/Communicationchoices/Fordeaforhardofhearingpeople/Communication_Choices_Deaf_Hard_Hearing.pdf
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 5th Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    I would suggest if he canít use the phone for such things he is more careful in the future about what he signs up for...
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    Wow... No. Definitely not.

The Equality Act requires businesses to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate people with disabilities. In this case it would be reasonable for the company to accept the customer's cancellation by live chat or e-mail given that they're unable to cancel by phone. Refusal to do so is likely to be unlawful.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 6th Dec 17, 5:31 AM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 5,865 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:31 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 5:31 AM
    Wow... No. Definitely not.

The Equality Act requires businesses to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate people with disabilities. In this case it would be reasonable for the company to accept the customer's cancellation by live chat or e-mail given that they're unable to cancel by phone. Refusal to do so is likely to be unlawful.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    I actually 100% agree with you, Iím partially deaf myself so I know what a struggle it can be, the companies should certainly allow other ways in such circumstances, that is why I also said to contact them first to find out. How can you expect a company to know that you have a disability that means you canít contact them by phone unless you contact them some other way to tell them?

If however OPs friend doesnít want to use other methods of contact, as he hasnít in this situation, instead requiring OP to step in and do it for him, then it is a perfectly sensible suggestion to check before signing up.

Anything I ever sign up for I check cancellation methods because I really struggle with phone use even with my hearing aids in so I try to use places that mean I can avoid phone use altogether if possible. If they only deal with people by phone then I decide on each individual basis whether or not to go ahead knowing Iíll have to phone them, contact them via email, live chat, or contact form first to make other arrangements, or just not use them at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin