Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JefffM
    • By JefffM 4th Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JefffM
    Large Inheritance
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    Large Inheritance 4th Dec 17 at 9:22 PM
    We have just learned that my Wife who is an American citizen but living in the UK is due to inherit a large sum. We don't yet know how much but it could be in excess of $250,000

I am wondering firstly what is the best way to transfer the money from the USA - when we have previously received money from the USA in the form of cheques and paid it into my bank we have incurred heavy charges - mostly to do with the applied exchange rate being heavily weighted in favour of the bank.

My wife does not have a bank account in the USA. She is a British resident with unlimited leave to remain (because of her marriage to me).

Secondly, who should we go to for advice on the best way to handle this money? We are thinking possibly of buying another flat - possibly renting out our existing flat to boost our income but will need advice. Also wondering at what point we should approach someone for advice. We may not find out what sort of sum we are talking about until shortly before we actually get it.

And advice gratefully received.
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 30,421 Posts
    • 19,230 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    A reply from the thread from 3 years ago might be of use.

Or another bank who has branches in the US and in the uk.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 4th Dec 17, 9:35 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:35 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:35 PM
    You may find that they'll simply send a USD cheque with no other options offered...

Otherwise have a look at the Transferwise Borderless account:
    https://transferwise.com/borderless

The other option would be for your wife to open a US bank account to receive the money then use a currency broker to transfer it to the UK.
    • JefffM
    • By JefffM 5th Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JefffM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    A reply from the thread from 3 years ago might be of use.

Or another bank who has branches in the US and in the uk.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Do you mean the reply to my thread about depositing a US cheque that suggested Barclays?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin