Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dot.1991
    • By Dot.1991 4th Dec 17, 9:12 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 50Thanks
    Dot.1991
    CAT D insuring car
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:12 PM
    CAT D insuring car 4th Dec 17 at 9:12 PM
    Hi there
    I am looking at a fiat500X that is been sold by a private seller
    It is a cat D and they have stated it has had superficial damage and needed a new bumper and headlight.
    So my question is on insurance quotes I have done there is nowhere to state that it is cat d, so I am presuming I need to call to ensure this fact is included in my quote but realistically does anyone have a clue how much it will add on? My quote so far has been £388 with esure or shielas wheels.

It's a really good deal but I'd like a second opinion on what people think? I can post a link if this helps?

Thanks
Page 1
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 4th Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    Call the insurers only they can tell you, anyone that posts on here is speculating at best.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 4th Dec 17, 9:23 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:23 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:23 PM
    If they don't ask you do not need to tell them. It is as simple as that.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 4th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:25 PM
    It shouldn't matter for insurance so long as it was repaired professionally.

I would however be cautious about buying an accident write off, the 500x is still quite a new car and although possible that minor damage caused it to be written off I would like to see proof of what repairs were done and speak to the garage concerned.

Bear in mind that in a private sale if any problems arise with the car you are basically stuck with little recourse.
    • Dot.1991
    • By Dot.1991 4th Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Dot.1991
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:44 PM
    Thanks for your replies,I've read that if I did have to claim they can dig their heels in if it's a cat D that they didn't know about?

if I can get evidence from the garage of what they did fix and any images of it I know it'd make me feel a bit better. Maybe it's the old saying of some things can be too good to be true...

Thanks again
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 4th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 2,339 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    Read the questions and assumptions carefully. The large majority of insurers don't want to know if the car has been previously written off but a handful do. From memory ensure might be one of the ones that mention it in the assumptions but I could be confusing them with someone else.

Under the Consumer Insurance Act 2012 you only have to tell your insurer things that they actually ask you about (directly or through assumptions which they get you to agree to). You are under no obligation to try to second guess other things that they might want to know and they cannot refuse to pay a claim because you didn't tell them something that they didn't ask you about.

Cat D cars are not generally a problem to insure. Apart from a small number of insurers not liking then the only difference it makes is that the effect of the Cat D market on the market value will reduce the payout slightly in the event that it gets with of again.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 4th Dec 17, 11:41 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:41 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:41 PM
    Unless you know what you are looking at do not touch a written off repaired car. My last car was written off cat d rear end damage, the repairs would have been around £3800 to repair the structure and safety systems correctly. Had it not been a rare colour I could have bought a second hand bumper light and tailgate and bodged it to look ok to the untrained for around £500. It would not have fared well in another rear impact though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,257Users online

Martin's Twitter