Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SMS1993
    • By SMS1993 4th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 14Thanks
    SMS1993
    First time buyers- temporary contract?
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    First time buyers- temporary contract? 4th Dec 17 at 8:48 PM
    Hi there,

Me and my partner are looking to buy our first home together. We are looking for advice on whether or not we will likely be accepted for a mortgage, and advice on what to do?

We both work full time.
    I have been working on a rolling temporary contract for the council and have been for 2 years. My contract has just been extended to March 2018 (usually 3 months extension at a time). I earn just over 20k per annum.

My partner began his first full time job in October and earns approx £17k per annum.

We have a deposit of £30k and are looking to buy a house of approx £135k.

I have a credit score of 650 according to a website I used and my partner is unlikely to any as he hasn't had credit (he's about to request a credit card for this purpose).

There are obviously lots of little things we could to to increase our chances, but any tips? Will a Mortgage advisor advise us on this kind of thing or are they literally there just to sell products?

TIA
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 4th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    You should go and see an independent mortgage broker.
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 4th Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Soph1988
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    Just to follow on from Slithery - go and talk to an independent mortgage advisor but check what fee they charge you for helping you set your mortgage up - some can be extortionate!
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 4th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    I got a mortgage with Halifax with me in a 2 year temporary contract and DH in a permanent contract but earning less than me. However they would only lend to me because my previous job had been a permanent contract in a similar role. We also had a 15% deposit, which I think helped too. I doubt we would have got a mortgage with a 5% deposit for example.

As others have said, try going to a broker first. At the very least you'll need to wait until your partner has got through their probation period.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £1063.78
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 5th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    • 29,843 Posts
    • 55,817 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    Another vote for a mortgage broker here. My son wanted a mortgage, he had no credit history, a small wage and was buying a flat with a short lease. His mortgage request was for a tiny amount (40k) and he had a part-time, but permanent, job - this was the only plus! He did have a good deposit of £25k but this was gifted. So not a lot going for him really.

The broker got him a good deal with Santander (actually I believe it was Abbey, but had the Santander branding) and he has now lived in his flat vey happily for nearly six years.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    'Let me tell you this one thing. When you fall out, as you will, don't get blaming each other. Look inside yourself first'. - Hilda Ogden, to Sally on her wedding day to Kevin, Coronation Street 1986. '
    • SMS1993
    • By SMS1993 5th Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    SMS1993
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    Thank you for all of your replies. I'll look into speaking to a broker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,008Posts Today

6,333Users online

Martin's Twitter