Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mcgreevy1993
    • By mcgreevy1993 4th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 2Thanks
    mcgreevy1993
    Served my eviction notice
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    Served my eviction notice 4th Dec 17 at 8:27 PM
    My landlord very kindly went to the letting agency today and told them to serve us our 2 month notice period for February the 6th. (It is the season right before Christmas)

We really like the area we live in and the apartment block, and luckily there is a flat with our agent that went up for rent this month.

Our agent had said the landlord will not let us leave earlier than the 6th - but do we have any ground of negotiation to stand on here?

Also, in terms of the new flat, we are now looking at having to rent two places at once for the month cross over - but how does work in terms of bills? Council tax??

Can anyone offer some advice please. We've only been here 4 months so obviously we're gutted that now we're finally settle down she's taking the property back
Page 2
    • G_M
    • By G_M 5th Dec 17, 3:38 PM
    • 42,318 Posts
    • 49,160 Thanks
    G_M
    Yeah I requested it.

But how can I prove it as a "revenge eviciting?"
    Apparantley the agency says she's been kicking off because we replaced the oven, Ariel of tv and now shower. But she hasn't updated of them in years so they were all falling apart.
    Originally posted by mcgreevy1993
    See:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new tenant protection (2015)

You'll have to act fast if you want protection against the S21 via the 2015 Act.
    • Superclarkkent
    • By Superclarkkent 5th Dec 17, 4:32 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Superclarkkent

the landlord refuses to speak to us and will only go through agent. So not an option here.

Who told you this? The agent?

I spoke to agent and apparantley she does this a lot. She is an old lady and becomes annoyed with having to "pay out for repairs" and just cancels the tenancy for a while then reinstated it.
    Again, you are just taking the agent's word for this.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 5th Dec 17, 5:12 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    ThePants999
    Hopefully council will take pity on me, should I just call them if I manage to take on new property and explain?
    Not dealt with councils much, huh? Very unlikely they'll bend the rules for you. But the rules might be fine for you anyway. Just look on your council's website, or call them and ask.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 5th Dec 17, 6:01 PM
    • 30,829 Posts
    • 18,429 Thanks
    getmore4less
    More like agent gets rid of tenant and gets paid loads for a new one.
    They don't care about the voids.
    • mcgreevy1993
    • By mcgreevy1993 5th Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mcgreevy1993
    Eitherway whether it's the agent trying to get more money or not - I've still been served the notice so have to act on it gutted.

We viewed the other flat tonight and the agent was actually actively telling other tenants to apply for it first thing tomorrow morning - knowing I'd expressed interest but wanted to try and negiogate a later move in date of 2 weeks - so clearly not after my money. We've expressed interest in the other flat but I doubt anything will come of it.

Other agencies are letting similar properties in same area for cheaper with lower fees. I even spoke to agents today who were willing to accept our move in date just to take our cash!

Interesting to look into documents concerning the evicition being brought on by repairs, I never thought you could act on that but defo gonna look into That Avenue
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 6th Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Eitherway whether it's the agent trying to get more money or not - I've still been served the notice so have to act on it gutted.

We viewed the other flat tonight and the agent was actually actively telling other tenants to apply for it first thing tomorrow morning - knowing I'd expressed interest but wanted to try and negiogate a later move in date of 2 weeks - so clearly not after my money. We've expressed interest in the other flat but I doubt anything will come of it.

Other agencies are letting similar properties in same area for cheaper with lower fees. I even spoke to agents today who were willing to accept our move in date just to take our cash!

Interesting to look into documents concerning the evicition being brought on by repairs, I never thought you could act on that but defo gonna look into That Avenue
    Yes and no, as has been said you can stay beyond that date - they can't legally get you out on the date in question, if you stay past it they will need to apply to the courts to get you out. This may not be what the landlord wants.

It does matter what the landlord wants, though. If it's purely the agency dictating things so they can squeeze more fees out, and the LL is only going to re-let the place, they may as well just let you stay. IF the LL wants the house back, that's a different story.

You have been given loads of advice about how you can fight to stay if that's what you want. If on some level you don't, that's fine. But really, it's not a lot of work to get the land registry details to then send your landlord a proper letter (put your email address and phone number on too) outlining the facts and asking whether they really want you out, is it? £3, an hour's work and a wander to the post box? It's worth a shot IMO.
    • KittenChops
    • By KittenChops 6th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    KittenChops
    And to answer why they want it back we have no idea! We tried to question it, but they didn't give a reason and we only speak to agent. She just came in and asked them when the tenacy was up for renewal and signed the s21 for the same date and we got an email at the end of the working day saying we've got 2 months lol...
    Is it valid notice if it's served by email?
    • Superclarkkent
    • By Superclarkkent 6th Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Superclarkkent

We viewed the other flat tonight and the agent was actually actively telling other tenants to apply for it first thing tomorrow morning -

Were they showing other people round at the same time as you viewed? If not, how do you know this to be the case?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 6th Dec 17, 3:03 PM
    • 10,122 Posts
    • 5,796 Thanks
    CIS
    My landlord very kindly went to the letting agency today and told them to serve us our 2 month notice period for February the 6th. (It is the season right before Christmas)

We really like the area we live in and the apartment block, and luckily there is a flat with our agent that went up for rent this month.

Our agent had said the landlord will not let us leave earlier than the 6th - but do we have any ground of negotiation to stand on here?

Also, in terms of the new flat, we are now looking at having to rent two places at once for the month cross over - but how does work in terms of bills? Council tax??

Can anyone offer some advice please. We've only been here 4 months so obviously we're gutted that now we're finally settle down she's taking the property back
    How long was the fixed term on the agreement ? 6 months ?
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,215Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin